Left pocket lock

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
My key doesn't fit into the lock.
Luckily it was open when this happened and I removed the lock so it won't lock closed.
It appears that the sliding cover that goes back over the key hole just fell apart. I managed to use a small pick to retrieve most of it but some of it must be down inside or what's left of it isn't letting the key slide all the way in.

I was going to make a key/knob combo a long time ago but never got around to it. So, now that a key won't fit into the lock what are my options.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Order a replacement and transfer the pins from the old lock into the new cylinder. (Or get a locksmith to do it.)

--Mark

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Just go on Discount Honda Parts to find the part number....or go to your local dealer. I'll bet it isn't very expensive as it is likely used on all sorts of other applications.

There is also info on the XS650 Owners website on how to re-key your lock - and it is a bit fiddley, but not complicated.

Pete

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Had the same thing happen to me. The new lock was not real expensive, but I haven't taken it to a locksmith yet to have it re-keyed. The lock doesn't appear to be easily taken apart to transfer tumblers.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Mark, I think a new lock is in order.

Had the same thing happen to me. The new lock was not real expensive, but I haven't taken it to a locksmith yet to have it re-keyed. The lock doesn't appear to be easily taken apart to transfer tumblers.
I agree, looking at it, it doesn't appear to come apart or I would have tried to open it. Not sure how that would workout trying to rekey it.

I'll look into getting a new lock and perhaps making a knob/key combo to just leave in the lock.

Thanks Pete for the site suggestion, I'll check it out.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I had the same thing happen to me, and ended up using a dental chisel to chop up the plastic shudder into smaller pieces until I got it all out. The cover on the tumbler is crimped on, which would make it a bear to transfer the pins to another tumbler without a way to re-crimp it properly (and look decent).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I assume you get a key or two with that lock? I'd make a 'short key' with knob and leave it in the lock when possible so there'd be little fumbling with two keys. The knobs from a GW radio should work well and are small enough that it shouldn't a problem for a pants pocket except maybe for you youngsters and your skinny jeans. :D

Too bad the lock is crimped together.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
yeah, just poking around with the lock set I didn't see a way to open her up without destroying it.
I only spent a few minutes poking around with a small awl to try to get all the pieces out but I'm thinking I rammed some in when I tried to put the key in. When I get a chance I will take a better look to see if I can identify anything not supposed to be in there.
If none of that works out for me I'll take a look at a replacement to see what the damage is and then do the short key with knob mod. I never really locked it anyway, other than my inspection paperwork/registration I haven't been in the habit of putting anything in there. It just gets to hot for my liking. Well, I guess I do put a coffee cup in there from time to time.
I did just Velcro my dual heat controller in there so with the wires coming out it wasn't going to lock anyway.

OP
OP
Rekoob
Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Just ordered the lock set from partzilla, they had the cheapest shipping rates. Most places wanted the cost of the lock set for shipping.

Top Bottom