vista cruise control

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I've got an 08 ST1300 and would like to add a vista cruise throttle lock. I had one on my last ride and was happy with it. I'm going to order one soon but remember reading in here that some opted for the "Yamaha" vista cruise version? Does that make any sense or can I just order the vista cruise for my bike?

thanks

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Kevin: I would try a "$5 Throttle Rocker first. Its a little plastic thingy that slips over the end of your throttle twist grip and allows you to rest the heal of your hand to hold the throttle open. I have found that it works well and is wayyy cheaper and darned near as good IMHO.

Pete

Bike
2010 ST1300
Its also advertised as the 'Cramp buster'. Btw, mine slips. After a while (and not a very long while) I have to adjust it upward. I have one on each handlebar as a reminder to keep my wrists straight (or my hands will fall asleep). Its annoying, but nothing more than that. Oh, and I think I paid closer to 7 or 8 bux + shipping. Mine are black plastic.

I rely on a throttlemeister to keep the throttle open for a few seconds when I take my hand off the right grip.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks guys.....I'll probably get the throttle rocker/cramp buster anyways ,but I find that my hand falls asleep while driving often, pins and needles, so I need to take my hand off the grip and let my hand drop for a few seconds. Definitely annoying!

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I think I would avoid the cramp buster on a ST. It works great on bikes with longer grips but the grips on the ST are to short and your hand will always be on the cramp buster. If the cramp buster is in the way as you enter a curve while you are counter steering you may open the throttles when you should be letting off and cause you to enter the curve to hot. If the St had longer grips then it could be on the end and out of the way for full hand placement. Vista Cruise works better for me on a ST. This is from my experience from using both on a ST and other bikes. You do not want to be messing with the cramp buster while entering a curve. It must be rolled down and out of the way on an ST to often and I found it to be unsafe for me.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Of course, one always has to monitor road conditions and other aspects of riding - particularly when using any sort of throttle-holding device.

I also had severe pins & needle hand issues - to the point where I thought I might have to stop riding. However, searching around of motorcycle websites, I found a brand of glove that seems to work well for others and it sure works for me. Its called ShockTek (http://www.shocktek.com/) and they are sold out of Detroit MI by the doctor who apparently did the original research on carpal tunnel hand injuries.

These gloves have a pad across the heal of your hand which has a gap for the carpal nerve (it runs right through the middle of your wrist) and it works to reduce pressure on that nerve. They have a full range of decent leather gloves - I bought a perforated summer-weight pair AND a medium weight gauntlet for $110.00 US for BOTH pairs.

I'll be buying a new set when these wear out.

Bike
ST1100PY
I have been transferring my standard vista throttle lock from one bike to another for years. Throttle locks are actually not 'legal' in the state of Queensland in Australia which I find curious. Throttle locks were OME on many British motorcycles during my early motorcycling years, generally comprising a knurled knob on the twist grip body which you wound in to prevent the throttle returning. Like practically anything associated with motorcycling it can be a hazard if used inappropriately but it is a great addition and allows your right hand to take a complete break when required, as you would be aware. I cannot imagine it could ever prevent the rider manually closing the throttle. It even allows hands-free riding (although nobody would do that of course because that is also illegal). Presumably an electronic cruise control would be better however my budget is unlikely to ever extend to that. The only challenge on some bikes is finding the fixed mounting point and occasionally manufacturing a bracket to adapt it to the bike. The attached picture is of my somewhat inelegant bracket which slides under, and is held to the throttle body by, the two lock nuts on the elbows through which the cables pass. I wholeheartedly recommend the vista.

P_20161128_200622.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
Interesting idea on the gloves. Would like them if they had more protection on nuckles and palms. I have a 2007 and tried the cramp buster. Helped but not much. Bought a Throttle Meister. Just wrapped up second season with it. On full lock you still can move throttle. Can order on line. Check with local BMW dealer, they gave same price as online. Granted the company was around the corner from dealership. They're around $130.00 US.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I put a Vista Cruise (Honda model) on to my 2001 ST right away.....Works great!
I am a "two hands" rider, so the lock is just for when I want to flex my hand or to reach for something in my pocket....I doubt that I have ridden using it solely for more than a mile....
But it works great....the cheap one

Have fun!

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
I used a Vista Cruise on my '08 ST for several years. It was a bit 'fidley' to install to my satisfaction but worked great the 6 years I had the ST. I believe it was the "Honda' version.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been using Vista Cruise for so long, I can't remember not having them (long before I bought the '05 ST1300). That said, I've had to modify them for the ST1300 (But not when using the cop switch.) by cutting off the tab at the 90 degree and then drilling a small hole and taping in with a small screw. I originally used double-sided mounting tape, but got tired of it coming off.

2005 - handgrips_05.jpg 2010 - handgrips_2010.jpg -- The second picture you can see the screw head.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I remember someone posting about using a screw to hold it in place, maybe it was you. Is the screw necessary or just a precaution?

I think I'll order a set of those shock teck gloves too sometime this winter. Those may be just what I need to enjoy longer rides.My soon to order Russel seat won't hurt either! :)

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I remember someone posting about using a screw to hold it in place, maybe it was you. Is the screw necessary or just a precaution?

I think I'll order a set of those shock teck gloves too sometime this winter. Those may be just what I need to enjoy longer rides.My soon to order Russel seat won't hurt either! :)
The cables on the standard ST1300 go out the front of the throttle housing. I have yet found any Vista Cruises that have that configuration. So to hold it, I use the screw. Before that I just used double-sided mounting tape. Because I put so many miles on my bikes, I don't like being two hundred miles from nowhere when the tape lets go. BTDT. So I found some really small wood screws and dill a hole in both the Vista Cruise and the housing, then go back a drill a larger hole in the vista screw since I don't want the threads locking up in it. it may require a small spacer between the housing and Vista Cruiser for alignment to get it to work properly.

Another thing too. I have been using the G2 Throttle Tamer Throttle Tube which I find requires less adjusting of the Vista Cruise as it wears.
ebay - G2 Throttle-Tamer

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
The second picture you can see the screw head.
Is that it at the bottom of the Vista Cruise? And how did you open up the Grab-On grips for the bar-end weights?

I like the Vista Cruise and had them on my 750-4 VF1000 and GL1000. I might try it on the ST. I've had Grab-Ons on all three bikes but couldn't find them in black for the ST. Maybe I should look harder.

The G2 Throttle Tamer was on sale 20% through Midnight Yesterday. I love mine.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
then go back a drill a larger hole in the vista screw since I don't want the threads locking up in it.
I don't understand this bit.

100_6064.jpg My modified Vista. 100_6066.jpg Threaded bolt braces against a square edge.
Have used this for over two years.
100_6067.jpgEasy on/off with the flip of your thumb.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I don't understand this bit.
There's the part that's being secured (throttle lock) and the part that it's being secured to (control housing). You want the hole in the throttle lock to be slightly larger than then threads of the screw so the screw doesn't "bottom out" in the throttle lock before it's fully secured to the housing.

In typical wood-working parlance, this would be called the shank hole and the pilot hole would be in the housing.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I got a vista cruise some time ago, never could get it to operate properly. Seemed like it was always binding with the grip or something and wouldn't allow the throttle tube to return smoothly every time.
Not even sure I still have it in the tool box. might have to revisit the operation of the item if I come across it.

I used the one that just slides over the grip and you push forward with a finger and it rests on the brake lever. I can't remember what it's called but it worked well until I added grip puppy's. I think it came with a heavy rubber band type of deal for spongy grips but I haven't attempted to reinstall it.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is that it at the bottom of the Vista Cruise? And how did you open up the Grab-On grips for the bar-end weights?
I used a 7/8" hole saw to remove the centers of the grip ends.

I got a vista cruise some time ago, never could get it to operate properly. Seemed like it was always binding with the grip or something and wouldn't allow the throttle tube to return smoothly every time.
I've installed them on five ST1300s now. It requires some "work" to get them working properly. A good rat tailed file and fiddling! Each install has been different.

Top Bottom