vista cruise control

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
In typical wood-working parlance, this would be called the shank hole and the pilot hole would be in the housing.
Got it! The hole in the throttle lock is the shank hole and the hole in the housing is the pilot hole. For some reason I thought there were two holes in the throttle lock. D'oh! Last question: Self-tapping screw?

I used a 7/8" hole saw to remove the centers of the grip ends.
Thanks! I've always liked those grips but didn't bother because of the metal caps and bar-end weights. I might swap them for my BMW grips.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Got it! The hole in the throttle lock is the shank hole and the hole in the housing is the pilot hole. For some reason I thought there were two holes in the throttle lock. D'oh! Last question: Self-tapping screw?
I didn't use a self-tapper. Just an ordinary wood screw. Probably a #6 by 3/8". It's kind of important that the pilot hole be sized right so the screw threads itself in. Too small and it tears the plastic, too big and (of course), it won't thread. A self-tapper might make a pilot hole too large to thread tightly since they're really meant for sheet metal. I don't really remember, but knowing how I usually do things, I probably started too small, attempted to screw it in and if it felt like it required too much force, went a little larger.

The shank hole is much easier. I just drilled a test hole in a piece of scrap and if the screw fit tight without threading in, I had the right size.

Edited to add: just noticed your tagline... I hope I did

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm going to order a vista cruise control soon and see 2 different type models to choose from. See the attached pics. One seems like the a universal one and the other is more compact and I think it clamps onto the throttle handle ,instead of the grip. Is this correct? I had the universal type one on my KLR.

I'm definitely going to order those shock-tek gloves too. I've got two co-workers interested also. Its the same price to ship 1 pair as it is 3. :) $20 US to ship gloves seems a bit much to me.

Attachments

Several, including myself have made the minor mods to use the second - Kevcules. Yes it slips on the throttle tube, it does take enlarging the opening slightly to fit the larger throttle tube of the ST. See my post 17 here for a couple pics. For $20 you can't beat it in my opinion.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Several, including myself have made the minor mods to use the second - Kevcules. Yes it slips on the throttle tube, it does take enlarging the opening slightly to fit the larger throttle tube of the ST. See my post 17 here for a couple pics. For $20 you can't beat it in my opinion.
Yes, VERY slight enlarging. Better to go too small and make it bigger a little at a time, otherwise, like someone who remarkably resembles me, you'll find yourself buying a 2nd one.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Yes in deed! Been using the simple one for thirty years. Need to use a little mod to work, but works great.

I used a chunk of PVC pipe cut from the rim to make a match to the space between the throttle cables. Keeps the lock tight and not any slop when locked. PVC glue bonded well with clamp plastic. Still removable when sold with no marks.

ToddC

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I use an off brand vista cruise style, fitted with the police pod with no issues, purchased from cycle gear I think, and added a throttle rocker as well. I'm adding another for the left grip. Mine is set loose. basically to relieve a little strain on the hand when riding, I get the numb hands thing too. Going to look at the gloves referenced earlier, thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Thanks guys.... I wanted to get the more simple looking version anyways.

Dbledutch.....i did re-read the posts here before I replied and didn't realize that yours was the same type. My bad.... So I need to shave away a little material on the inside of the clamping mechanism so it fits on the tube? No other spots?

My bike has 7/8" diameter bars right?

thanks

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Thanks guys.... I wanted to get the more simple looking version anyways.

Dbledutch.....i did re-read the posts here before I replied and didn't realize that yours was the same type. My bad.... So I need to shave away a little material on the inside of the clamping mechanism so it fits on the tube? No other spots?

My bike has 7/8" diameter bars right?

thanks
The bars are really close to 7/8", but very slightly larger. Maybe it's some metric size (like 23 MM) so it's necessary to slightly enlarge the vista cruise throttle lock. Once again, only a very little bit of material needs to be removed.

I used a round file and then sandpaper around the entire inside diameter trying to keep it as round as possible.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Ok thanks....I'll go ahead and order one soon.

Lots of time to install farkles over here in the winter. :)

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Yes, VERY slight enlarging. Better to go too small and make it bigger a little at a time, otherwise, like someone who remarkably resembles me, you'll find yourself buying a 2nd one.
I laugh every time I read this post :) .....many a people understand having to buy another "something" because the "installer" messed something up! :)

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
I think I would avoid the cramp buster on a ST. It works great on bikes with longer grips but the grips on the ST are to short and your hand will always be on the cramp buster. If the cramp buster is in the way as you enter a curve while you are counter steering you may open the throttles when you should be letting off and cause you to enter the curve to hot. If the St had longer grips then it could be on the end and out of the way for full hand placement. Vista Cruise works better for me on a ST. This is from my experience from using both on a ST and other bikes. You do not want to be messing with the cramp buster while entering a curve. It must be rolled down and out of the way on an ST to often and I found it to be unsafe for me.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with all you said, but, there are grip busters that go out to the right of the grip, giving you a little more hand room. If you have to use one these are a little bit safer.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
but the grips on the ST are to short and your hand will always be on the cramp buster. If the cramp buster is in the way as you enter a curve while you are counter steering you may open the throttles when you should be letting off and cause you to enter the curve to hot.
I'm not understanding this. I've got CBs on both grips. Wide port side narrow on throttle. Love 'em and have never experienced any 'unintended acceleration'. The stbd CB moves with the throttle. With or without a CB my hand grips the throttle. There's no time when it doesn't at least when making a turning movement. It's always controlling the throttle. The CB is there to reduce pressure from the throttle return and allow me wiggle my fingers now at then. I don't release my grip on the throttle to counter steer. It's always metering the throttle opening.

Granted it's a slight squeeze to get my palm and all my fingers wrapped around the grip with the CB but I really have no occasion to do that while riding. Basically I have full hand placement on the grip. It's just that the heel of my hand is on the CB.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I bought and installed a Vista Cruise throttle lock and it installed fairly easily. I haven't ridden the bike yet,but it looks like it will work. Thanks for the suggestions and pics.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
My hands maybe just a little large. The ST throttle is very sensitive so the slightest opening is a bunch. I noticed a possible problem in right turns with the cramp buster under my palm and on the outside. I never tried it on the inside because the one I had was made for the outer edge of the grips. My hands do occupy all of the grip space. All it takes is a little down pressures on the CB and the throttle is open. The CB worked great for me on interstates but on crocked roads no. I decided for me that it was unsafe if I was already riding aggressive.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I use a vista cruise knockoff(about 15 bucks) in conjunction with a throttle rocker, I'm adding a throttle rocker to the left bar also. My CTS thanks me. I have a police switch so it dropped straight in.

Good Afternoon Kevcules!
Which Vista cruise did you end up purchasing? I would like to get one for my 2007 1300.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Good Afternoon Kevcules!
Which Vista cruise did you end up purchasing? I would like to get one for my 2007 1300.
Hi there

I used the simple version of the Vista Cruise control. The one on the right side in post #24. You can use either one because the other is a universal model. I used that one on my KLR 650 yrs ago. The simple version just looks better IMO. One thing you have to do though is drill a hole into your switch housing and screw the throttle lock to it to prevent it from rotating. I can get a pic if you want....

Top Bottom