Any suggestions on a Light Weight Small Packing Cover?

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Locking for a really light weight small packing cover that will fit over the ST. Would greatly appreciate a few links to where I could purchase one and your thoughts should you own such an item. Preparing for a trip next year.

Thanks
Greg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I got a half-cover at Cycle Gear that packs fairly small but I noticed that a friend who's had the same cover as mine is getting some tears in it.

My Nelson-Rigg full cover packs down pretty small too. You may be specifically wanting a half-cover for some reason other than size and the N-R is a little pricey but it's a great cover. They also have a half-cover and maybe some here has experience with it.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I use a Nelson-Rigg lightweight half cover. Iirc, it cost around $40. Works great, comes with its own stuff sack (and a strap/belt attached to said sack - as if I'd wear this as a fanny pack). It covers down to the front fender and over the panniers, has elastic straps that hook onto the foot pegs.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Locking for a really light weight small packing cover that will fit over the ST. Would greatly appreciate a few links to where I could purchase one and your thoughts should you own such an item. Preparing for a trip next year.

Thanks
Greg
I have had my EZ Touring Wanderer for many years. Does a good job and packs small. Will cover my Road Glide or my ST1300 with room to spare. Neither has a top case.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1 on Nelson-Rigg. Fits over a top case, too.
+2 - I've been using those covers for the last ten years! They are great. When the covers are new, watch the silver that comes off of them on your paint!

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Loved my Kwikover. Fit nice very compact (attached to its own pouch and tucks in under the rear seat). I would not recommend this for any extended use. The water repellent coating only lasted a little over a year and the cover was turning to dust by the end of the second year, not much UV protection. Now using Nelson-Rigg UV2000 half cover. Does not pack as small but the quality seems much better.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I have to ask... why bother with a cover?

Just speaking for me, I figure that the bike is weatherproof and any moisture that collects overnight can easily be wiped up with a clean cloth. I carry a small microfiber cloth just for this purpose, but since I always stay in hotels, I just use one of their towels. During the day, I'm usually on the bike so it's not just sitting out in the sun where a cover could be useful.

I have considered carrying a cover, if only to reduce the chance of it being a target for vandalism or theft, but that's probably unlikely and even something as small as a cover would take up valuable storage real estate when I take my longer trips.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have to ask... why bother with a cover?
I use one because:
protects the paint from sunlight
keeps farkles out of sight
don't have to wipe the dew or rain off
doesn't take up that much room
(the N-R 2000 has a compression
sack that works well.)

Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
My travel cover is the Nelson Rigg full cover. As noted it comes with a compression sack that squashes it to less than the size of a loaf of bread.See a related thread / poll I started a while ago for more opinions; it is a sticky in this topic area.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
Egad! With all the great testimonials about different bike covers, how are you going to choose one over the others?

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
Another vote for the Nelson Rigg half cover. Mine was cheap and is holding up great. Packs down to the size of a turkey club :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom