Anyone ever repair a Harbor Freight motorcycle/atv lift?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Howdy gang,
I have the cheapie Harbor Freight motorcycle lift - not the table top one but the one with the two parallel 2" X 16" (approx) surfaces. I've used it on the ST but today was using it on my dirt bike. It quick lifting about 1/2 way up and now doesn't lift at all. The oil resevoir was full so I'm guessing the pump portion is not working. Based on your experience, is that something that can be repaired by a do-it-yourselfer?

Thanks in advance for your experiences/thoughts.

Bike
2006 ST1300
If it is the one I saw on their website, it is similar to one I "inherited" from a client who gave it to me. I think you can substitute a small bottle jack for the one that is in it- the lift I got it is not all assembled, and it uses a standard bottle jack to "power" it.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I have a cheapo HF car jack that stopped lifting. Repairing was just a matter of changing a few 0-rings. Make sure to use good oil resistant Viton o-rings (and not from the variety pack in the Home Depot plumbing dept.) or you'll be doing it again soon. Don't ask. Fixed the problem with my jack.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Make sure to use good oil resistant Viton o-rings (and not from the variety pack in the Home Depot plumbing dept.)
Viton O-rings are usually brown and a little more pricey. But worth it. Check for a hydraulic parts/repair shop. There is little room for error in the size of O-rings. There are at least 2 systems for sizing. Coming from China, they are probably metric size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the replies. I have a Baja trip coming up but when I get back, I'll dig in and see if I can fix it. I'll even try to take a few photos.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Check out the oringstore.com website. They are a cheap source of o-rings. Before you disassemble the lift, try turning it to get rid of air bubbles, check the fill level after doing so, and then try lifting again. I remember reading in another post about 'fixing' HF hydraulic tools by doing just this. Seems they are prone to air locks and/or bubbles - though a bottle jack is so simple its hard to figure out how this could be a problem. Might be due to the position the jack is installed in the frame of the lift.

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Check out the oringstore.com website. They are a cheap source of o-rings. Before you disassemble the lift, try turning it to get rid of air bubbles, check the fill level after doing so, and then try lifting again. I remember reading in another post about 'fixing' HF hydraulic tools by doing just this. Seems they are prone to air locks and/or bubbles - though a bottle jack is so simple its hard to figure out how this could be a problem. Might be due to the position the jack is installed in the frame of the lift.
I did tilt it so the surface with the oil reservoir cover was level and when I did that, I did get some really fine bubbles out but oddly, it didn't seem to make a difference in the oil volume

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Viton O-rings are usually brown and a little more pricey. But worth it. Check for a hydraulic parts/repair shop. There is little room for error in the size of O-rings. There are at least 2 systems for sizing. Coming from China, they are probably metric size.
Having trouble finding the correct size "O" rings locally. The "O" ring on the foot pump is what failed. It's a fat little bugger. I went by Fastenal (all too skinny), Napa (had to order a variety pack and who knows what sizes), and finally today to a hydraulic hose place. They had the correct diameter but it was too skinny. They suggested trying two of the skinny ones and it worked. One time. Then blew out. I'll see what Napa gets tomorrow. If no go at Napa, I'll try the online O ring place.

Top Bottom