Gloves If you've ridden in really cold weather, I'm interested in what gloves you use.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I've lived in the Indianapolis area for the last 5 years. Manzella was my winter glove for that 9 mile commute. Though it was short, we all know the difference between a 45F ride and a 12F ride for 9 miles.
I built these out of junior football pads and covered the frame with a wind proof membrane. This was necessary for when it was single digits, as the Manzella's weren't heated.
20151205_132323.jpg

I want to find out what you're doing for wind protection. Did you find a glove that works for less than 100.00? Did you find that buying an over-sized glove and using a silk insert worked better than only using one glove?
I am near installing a 40A upgrade soon, so it will contribute to a larger electric load. I have made my own electric heating insert for my boots and gloves, but the gloves or mittens are an important next upgrade.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
If temps are between 32-60*F I use my TM Polar-Tex 2.0 gloves (now $65 at motorcyclegear.com). They are waterproof and warm enough for those temps for me. But for COLD temps (below 32*F) I use Gerbing classic heated gloves. I've had the same pair for about 10 years now (same setup moved to 3 different bikes) with only the variable controller replaced once in that time (about 5 years ago) due to the earlier design allowing the cord to break where it goes into the controller. New design is better. I use this set up with only insulating layers under my jacket and riding pants for temps down well below zero*F.
It does get colder here in central Iowa more often than it does in Indiana (not that it doesn't get cold there as well). I did spend more than $100 for the Gerbing but I ride all year here so decided the cost was warranted. My hands stay nice and warm at all temps I ride in so far (although I will say my finger tips did start to feel a bit tepid to just getting to cool at -15*F (minus 15)).

ps- I'm still using my summer perforated gloves down to 60*F. Not even cool yet above that from a northern state perspective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
When it drops into the 70's I just turn my heated handgrips on :butt1:.

Tom
Reminds me of being stationed in Hawaii. The locals start putting on winter coats when it's high fifties.
I'll bet motorcycle seats are as much of challenge in the summer down there as staying warm in the winter up here.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If temps are between 32-60*F I use my TM Polar-Tex 2.0 gloves (now $65 at motorcyclegear.com). They are waterproof and warm enough for those temps for me. But for COLD temps (below 32*F) I use Gerbing classic heated gloves. I've had the same pair for about 10 years now (same setup moved to 3 different bikes) with only the variable controller replaced once in that time (about 5 years ago) due to the earlier design allowing the cord to break where it goes into the controller. New design is better. I use this set up with only insulating layers under my jacket and riding pants for temps down well below zero*F.
It does get colder here in central Iowa more often than it does in Indiana (not that it doesn't get cold there as well). I did spend more than $100 for the Gerbing but I ride all year here so decided the cost was warranted. My hands stay nice and warm at all temps I ride in so far (although I will say my finger tips did start to feel a bit tepid to just getting to cool at -15*F (minus 15)).
This is what I've been waiting for. If the road are clear in January, I want to ride to Louisiana for a 10 day event, instead of fly.
So, you don't have additional wind protection over these gloves? They must be really good gloves.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
This is what I've been waiting for. If the road are clear in January, I want to ride to Louisiana for a 10 day event, instead of fly.
So, you don't have additional wind protection over these gloves? They must be really good gloves.
Nope, no deflectors or guards like you made. Although those would help. I'd almost consider just staying with the non-electric Polar-Tex gloves into the 20s*F with hand guards. I did that with my Gold Wing 12 years ago... riding with just the Polar-Tex 1.0 down into the mid to lower 20s*F due to the better hand protection on that bike. My Burgman, ST1100, and now my CTX1300 have my hands in the wind more so needed more to stay warm on those bikes.

I just returned from NOLA last week and they were still having temps at 65-75*F at that time.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Just go electric... you won't be disappointed.

I gave up on finding a really good winter motorcycle glove and just went electric... jacket and gloves. That and my TPMS are the two best farkles on my bike.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
One big key point to remember is if you keep your core warm your hands and feet will also be warmer and take a little less to keep that way. So I am sure to wear many warming layers on my body. Turtle Fur neck gator for the neck. Then from my shoulders to my ankles I have thermal long johns, a fleece jacket, thermal inserts in jacket and pants, and finally the solid jacket and pants. I am good with this down to the coldest I've been on the bike. Even my boots are good in all temps from +105*F to around -15*F (thin socks under slightly thicker socks to not cut off circulation for colder temps). You can always take a layer off as you ride south into slightly warmer temps. Sounds like you'll have a month to ride around home base to sort out what works for you to stay warm.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
Cleveland, OH gets cold....the best that I have found were Vetter Hippo Hands, with simple lined Olympia gloves ....
Alas, Hippo Hands in their original iteration are no more.....

Friends in the north country are wearing electric gloves, battery powered, that are designed for shoveling or blowing snow, which I decided years ago that the only way I would look at snow was on TV....
Have fun!

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Well done, good information. I have Tourmaster Sonora jacket and pants. About 4 years ago, surviving my first mc winter of 2011, I cut open a 12v fleece blanket and took the nichrome wire out. I had about 25ft to play with and did this, and it has worked well. http://www.instructables.com/id/15-dollar-heated-gear-for-motorcycling-impossible-/

I do like the wind guards I made. I could use a slightly lower profile wind cover as it's hard to see my mirrors sometimes, but they do keep the wind off. In extreme cold days, lowest is 8 degrees. I fashioned this out of a collection of resistors, cobbled extension cord wire and an idea. http://www.instructables.com/id/Heated-gloves-wellalmost/

My latest idea for heated glove inserts, you know, to save money, is sew Beadalon into some fleece. Though Beadalon is used for making necklaces and has no electrical data, using the right length, about 8ft, and 14v at either end makes a nice warming effect. A couple of lengths of 8ft per sole and glove should do quite nicely at approximately 3/4 of an amp per element. Fortunately I run hotter than colder and can take it when it's cooler without heated gear that can get really hot, like the 8 or 9 amp variety. Thank you, everyone.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I rode from Casey IL to Canton OH in sub zero temperatures with heated grips, Warm n Safe head to toe and was comfortable for the whole 474 miles.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Gerbing heated gloves (though my next set will be WarmNSafe because of Gerbing 'policy' changes) and Symtec grip heaters. The grip heaters are reasonably priced and a good place to start. I ride year round unless there is ice.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I have found that if your gear is water proof it also retains the heat and keeps the air out. The same goes with the gloves. A good pair of water proof textile. Firstgear or Tourmaster is what I have been using. Last cold ride was 230 miles of interstate at 22 degrees. Also they need to be a loose fit.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Go Electric twice
What I mean by that is I have 2 of everything.
2 electric sets of gloves
2 electric vests
2 electric controllers
Heated grips
Just in case one breaks down and I'm ready to ride.

Also set up your wife with electrics and she will also be more comfortable.

Be patient, just keep checking the classifieds

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the input from everyone. That 230 mile interstate ride at 22 degrees is something a lot of riders will never know.

STOC #
Go Electric twice
What I mean by that is I have 2 of everything.
2 electric sets of gloves
2 electric vests
2 electric controllers
Heated grips
Just in case one breaks down and I'm ready to ride.

Also set up your wife with electrics and she will also be more comfortable.

Be patient, just keep checking the classifieds
I don't mean to hijack the thread... but you seem experienced with electrics... so may I ask a question (I own none)?

I read where you cannot roll or crumple electric garments for fear of damaging the electrical pads... is this anything you have experienced?
With your concern for carrying two of everything, it sounds like you have had issues in the past?

Thanx,
Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Moose racing hand guards and heated grips . All I use for gloves is a pair of 40 year old ski gloves that I have removed the liner from. So all the glove is , is a leather covering.
The Moose racing hand guards are similar in design to what you made, but go on with a single strip of Velcro for easy on/off.

https://www.denniskirk.com/moose/molded-foam-hand-protectors-0635-0760.p619489.prd/619489.sku
I like the shape. I'd like to make another set with it being flat in front. The plastic frame I have in mine helps them not collapse when I'm doing over uh, going fast.

Top Bottom