Gloves If you've ridden in really cold weather, I'm interested in what gloves you use.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I don't mean to hijack the thread... but you seem experienced with electrics... so may I ask a question (I own none)?

I read where you cannot roll or crumple electric garments for fear of damaging the electrical pads... is this anything you have experienced?
With your concern for carrying two of everything, it sounds like you have had issues in the past?

Thanx,
Jim
As with anything, over time, it breaks in some fashion. Recently, with the nichrome wire jacket I cobbled together the wire broke. I was able to find the break and re-solder.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I read where you cannot roll or crumple electric garments for fear of damaging the electrical pads... is this anything you have experienced?
With your concern for carrying two of everything, it sounds like you have had issues in the past?

Thanx,
Jim
I've been using heated gear for over 10 years. Never had a issue with my Gerbing gear. I stuff it where ever I have a opening.

I agree with Uncle Phil. Symtec grip heaters with your choice of heated gloves. Sometimes money saved is money wasted trying to do the impossible. Go electric and be safe and enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I've been using heated gear for over 10 years. Never had a issue with my Gerbing gear. I stuff it where ever I have a opening.

I agree with Uncle Phil. Symtec grip heaters with your choice of heated gloves. Sometimes money saved is money wasted trying to do the impossible. Go electric and be safe and enjoy the ride.
At first I really wanted to ride with conventional gear. I thought, If I'm not wearing heated gear, it can't fail. This is true. The same truth can be applied to not being able to feel your hands after a half an hour without heated gear in the right temperature.
I love to ride. I was a late bloomer at 38 in a motorcycle safety course, due to an early in life barrage of "You'll get killed riding a motorcycle" and not being able to ride one until I moved out. Not riding just continued into my adulthood, because I hadn't for so much of my youth. Now, If the roads are clear, it shouldn't matter what temperature it is if I want to ride.

I have a special message to those who warn how dangerous motorcycle are. I'd rather die from living than live from dying.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Moddy, My 1100 had heated grips inSTalled when I got it. And I have the Warm & Safe heated liner and their heated gloves, with a dual controller. I also got my brothers Gerbing heated pants, that can be linked to the liner. One side of the controller works the jacket/pant combo. And the other side works the gloves. I definitely can ride and be toSTy. The Warm & Safe is a great product, and worth it.

Also I have my brothers heated Gerbing gloves if you would be interested in them. You can check them out when we do your 40 amp upgrade swap.

Gary.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Moddy, My 1100 had heated grips inSTalled when I got it. And I have the Warm & Safe heated liner and their heated gloves, with a dual controller. I also got my brothers Gerbing heated pants, that can be linked to the liner. One side of the controller works the jacket/pant combo. And the other side works the gloves. I definitely can ride and be toSTy. The Warm & Safe is a great product, and worth it.

Also I have my brothers heated Gerbing gloves if you would be interested in them. You can check them out when we do your 40 amp upgrade swap.

Gary.
Thanks Gary. I will check those out, no doubt they'll be a nice treat compared to the gloves I've been using. What about these. I know they're not heated, and not that much cheaper than gloves that are. But these keep coming back from reviews and searches for an answer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympia-4102-Weather-King-Extra-Touch-Gloves-X-Large-/381870370056?hash=item58e93f6d08:g:higAAOSwB09YGPEk&vxp=mtr

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
For the DYI carbon fiber ribbon is available and works well in the construction of heated gear. You can sew it onto gloves or garment and even sew on the connecting wires.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
I don't mean to hijack the thread... but you seem experienced with electrics... so may I ask a question (I own none)?
Jim,
One set is a Widder and the other brand is Gerbings. Now as how to store everything, yes treat your garments with white gloves. Don't roll anything in a tight ball including the harness.
As for the harness to the bike, that I where I only have had a problem. A broken wire going into the on/off switch. That is what I used and actually came with my first vest. Now I have the true Widder control and a Gerbings duel control.
As for heat, both are equal.
The wife has a jacket and gloves that are made in Canada, by a local company that works just great too. She does not use a controller, just fused (10a) straight wiring into the bike. She likes to be warm on the bike.
I also have a digital voltage guage to point out to me when I'm over taxing my small charging system. So far so good as I have never needed a boost yet.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
I just wanted to point out to the riders with no electric gear is you can still go out in the cold for short rides. Here is what I do when it's almost time to use electrics or I have no electrics on board and I'm heading back home.

First is add an extra layer to the head see the 2 pictures below. I call them welder beanies.
I wear these year round as they are easy to wash and keeps your helmet fresh.

Second is always always keep your neck warm.
I have a few of these red hard hat tubes, because they get stinky from body odor, can't find them etc.
I'm sure you can get a specific motorcycle neck tube also.

The last item that I wear with and without electrics is a rain coat.
Works great as a wind breaker and everyone will think your a LEO.
I'm sure you can find these items at a store that sell steel toed boots.
Our store up here is called Marks Warehouse.

Once again, riding a bike in the cold is not a fashion show.

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Not sure about the differences between an 1100 and 1300 are, but I discovered that a tight fitting glove is colder than a loose one. I wear cheap deerskin work gloves (similar to Aerostitch's pricey ones that don't fit my hands) that I found at either Hopot or an outfitting store. They are much looser than my custom made deerskin gloves that fit like a second skin, but warmer in 35 deg weather. In fact, on a 2 hour ride a few weeks ago - temp was mostly in the mid 30's - my heated grips and these loose fitting gloves were enough. Well, I was wearing a Warm n Safe electric jacket. The keep your core warm and all will be well really works.

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I believe keeping your core temperature warm is key. Obviously your major arteries are going to circulate warmer blood. Can't wait to get warm elements on my hands and feet. It's a big difference if you're not riding cold. When I've been colder I've had more difficulty focusing on the obstacles of the road, things like traffic, intersections and road conditions.

Some days I don't feel the cold as much as others. That said, I go by how cold I feel, rather than temps. My glove setup from 100?F to below 0?F. RoadGear vented gauntlets from 100? to chilly (≈53?). Antelope Creek insulated leather long gauntlets ($38) for chilly (sometimes 60?, sometimes lower) to kinda cold (≈40?). Gerbings heated liners under the Antelopes if I'm feeling the cold. If it's pretty cold (≈30?) down to about 5?, I use Vetter Hippo Hands with uninsulated deerskin summer gloves. If it's colder than that or I am on a long trip (several hours to several days) I use chemical handwarmers or the 'lighter fluid powered' handwarmers inside the Hippo Hands. With the lighter fluid handwarmers, I have to pull my hands out of the Hippo Hands every 10 minutes or so to cool them off. Did I mention I HATE cold hands??

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Back when I used to ride all the time in what passes for cold weather around here (45?F) I got an Eclipse electric vest. As mentioned keeping the core warm is a big deal. The brain reduces circulation to the extremities to keep the heart warm. The vest was nicely styled but heating was controlled only by an massive inline On/Off switch. But it did the job. Hands and feet stayed much much warmer.

My hands tend to get very cold very quick in cool to cold weather. I threaten to get round to installing VStrom hand guards Honda Air Deflection trim and Symtec heaters. A heated jacket liner might be in my future as well.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
for gloves I'm still using first gen tourmaster synergy gloves. my first gen synergy jacket liner stopped working so I got a gerbing to replace it and got the pants liners too. for times when I think I don't need electric gear I wear some cabela's fleece lined jeans under my riding pants, Olympia wolf Gore-Tex gloves are good for me unless it gets under 38?, I am going to add some hand guards. like everyone here i'll layer my core with a fleece jacket and a sweatshirt under my riding jacket, if that keeps me warm down to 38? like the gloves I'm good with that. I'm usually not out riding below 35? and if I am I take the wing not the ST

Last edited:

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I did a little under 3hrs at 16 deg on the interstate and was completely warm...until I stopped and shut off the bike. I have grip heaters and Gerbing long sleeve liner and T5 gloves with a dual controller. They are awesome and usually high is way too hot.

Skip

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I don't know how you can ride in this weather without heated gloves. Lower sped and shorter distance maybe? I do 38 miles on the highway at 70+. Gloves are cranked up, grip heat is on super low and jacket liner is set to somewhere just below mid.

My old Virago I used to do the same commute on didn't have enough alternator to run anything extra. Once the temperature dropped to freezing, that was it. Riding season over. With bulky winter gloves my fingers were just on the verge of frozen when I made it to the office.

Now with the ST, I'll add the pants and socks when the temperatures drop to the single digits and be super duper comfy. 6 zones of heating let me customize the ride and make it more comfy then any car.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I've ridden in in just above freezing weather and have used a pair of hunters gloves from Bass Pro. Reasonably warm without being too bulky. Good for a couple of hours. The camouflage doesn't do much for me but if you ride fast, no one notices! Ultimately you can't beat heated grips

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the input, this had been an excellent thread. I'll be trying Gerbing heated gloves on Thursday, when I get my 40A upgrade done. My 1 hour ride to GreenZR's will be at 30 deg. Should assemble my wind protection for my hands, I took them off for summer riding.

Top Bottom