Gloves If you've ridden in really cold weather, I'm interested in what gloves you use.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
+1 on extra layers to keep your core warm. After 30 miles of freeway at 37 degrees. (yes is does get cool in So Cal) I just reach down and put my thin gloved hand on top of the plastic cover over the spark plugs for a few minutes. Warms it right up. Then I do the other hand. There are those who complain about engine heat but that heat keeps my legs warm in the winter and I really do not notice it be much of a bother during the hot summer months.

Now it might be clever the next time you service your radiator hoses to put in a couple of brass tee fittings and create a shunt tube that some how wraps around the vertical part of the handlebars. A small butterfly valve could control the amount of heat.. Gee you could even route it under both seats... If I lived in a colder location I might be temped to do that.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
spiderman302 said:
Gee you could even route it under both seats...
Run it right down the middle and "straddle" it so as not to sit directly on it but keep the cheeks and the boys warm. :rofl1:

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
... and make it more comfy then any car.
And that right there is why I still prefer to ride the bike rather than the cage in winter weather. Besides, it's way warmer to walk from my bike to the building bundled up and then take the helmet and gloves off after I get inside.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Really cold? I did 120 miles at 19 degrees once to get to a New Years Day polar bear run in Nashville. I had on a Gerbings heated jacket liner under my winter outer gear and Tourmaster Grand Tour Elite gloves that I have owned for 19 years. That bike, a BMW R100, did not have heated grips.

I do not think these gloves are made anymore, but they do a great job in COLD weather. Now days I use heated grips and less bulky insulated gloves made by Roadgear most of the time. Unfortunately, these too are no longer made.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Cold for me is below 50. Really cold is below 40. Frickin' freezing is below 30.

Yes, heated grips are nice because you can't leave them at home. I've had them on every bike for the past 25 years. However, heated gloves are better when it gets cold, much better when it gets really cold, and the only way to go when it's frickin' freezing.

I like these: http://www.thewarmingstore.com/warm-n-safe-the-rider-classic-style-mens-heated-gloves.html

EDIT: Don't forget to indicate your membership in ST-Owners at checkout...good for a discount.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I bought a set of older Gerbings jacket, gloves and controller off Craigslist. The sleeves of the jacket have the plugs for the gloves, so I only need one controller. One thing I noticed was you don't feel heat from the gloves; you simply notice your hands aren't cold. A sunny cold day with Gerbings feels a lot like summer.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I bought a set of older Gerbings jacket, gloves and controller off Craigslist. The sleeves of the jacket have the plugs for the gloves, so I only need one controller.
Having two channels will be much more comfortable. The gloves need a lot more electrical umph (technical term) to be toasty and warm then the jackets do. Pants can usually be tied to the jackets and teamed up well. Socks are better separate too, a little too much heat and you may not notice it until the burn is bordering on 2nd degree.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
+1 on 2 separate channels for gloves and liner. Tonight I replaced the left glove connector on my Gerbing liner, just in time for 31?F tomorrow morning and 25?F on Friday morning.

I just have some warm weather alpinestar gloves and I wear a cheap pair of the kids 2 dollar gloves underneath it. works perfect for me!

I use Gerbings heated gloves. When it gets really cold I turn on the heated grips to supplement the gloves. I also have socks, plus pants and jacket liners from Gerbing. I've been hearing some bad things about the company under the new management. Also heard rumors that Gorden Gerbing has gone back in to the business. Check the market closely for the latest info.

Len

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
If it is really cold I use Warm & Safe Ultimate Touring heated gloves. Combined with a Warm & Safe heated jacket and the heated grips and seat on my BMW K1600 I stay comfortable in the cold.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I use Gerbings heated gloves. When it gets really cold I turn on the heated grips to supplement the gloves. I also have socks, plus pants and jacket liners from Gerbing. I've been hearing some bad things about the company under the new management. Also heard rumors that Gorden Gerbing has gone back in to the business. Check the market closely for the latest info.

Len
http://gordonsheated.com/

Bike
2005 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
When it gets close to freezing, I have found my heated grips to be more comfortable with Hot Paws (fleece gloves) than with my MC gloves. Since the transition season is fairly short for me, (can't ride December-April even if I wanted to), I have decided to hold off on getting electrically heated gear.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Did a full 42 mile 70 mph run to work today at 21?F, I think I need to up my threshold. Heated socks are valid accessory below 25?F and I will take the time to put them on. The wool socks I wore just weren't enough insulation.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
T_C said:
6 zones of heating let me customize the ride and make it more comfy then any car.
When the heater went out in my old car I started using my Eclipse vest. One zone and I had to turn it on and off a lot but it was more comfortable than that car had ever been. Even in my newish car with everything fully functional a jacket liner would be better. A lot to be said for instant direct warmth!

Right now the weather is down to a bone chilling 60?F. With windchill it drops down to a life-threatening 58! It gets even colder in the mornings. Seriously at 55-50? ambient my hands get ice cold quickly. Maybe a heated liner and gloves are in order.

Bike
'08 ST1300
--Cabela's (now a part of Bass Pro Shops) snowmobile gloves, with nice "gauntlets" to prevent cold air from going up your sleeves. A bit bulky, but I usually just do short trips in town in the winter months.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Last Thursday I rode for an hour in 25 degree weather. I had my resistor stack that I wired myself, stuck down each glove and a heated jacket liner I made for myself as well. It's only 24w because I had the 28A stator and wasn't trying to overload my electrical system. I don't ever want to ride in that temperature again without better heated gear. I'm getting there, having just come into a Gerbings heated jacket and pants liner. Now I'm just heated soles and gloves away from toasty bliss. Thanks for all the responses, it has become a good resource for people to be able to read about gloves.

Last edited:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I use snowmobile mitts by Kolpin and oxford heated grips. With that combo I can wear lightweight deer skin gloves down below zero. ALso use a warm n safe heated jacket liner.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Last Thursday I rode for an hour in 25 degree weather. I had my resistor stack that I wired myself, stuck down each glove and a heated jacket liner I made for myself as well. It's only 24w because I had the 28A stator and wasn't trying to overload my electrical system. I don't ever want to ride in that temperature again without better heated gear. I'm getting there, having just come into a Gerbings heated jacket and pants liner. Now I'm just heated soles and gloves away from toasty bliss. Thanks for all the responses, it has become a good resource for people to be able to read about gloves.
You will end up using that jacket liner as your only heated item most of the time, as long as you have good outerwear. I have ridden in the teens many times with just that and sometimes heated grips. Get something to put around your neck like a tube baklava, etc. You can lose a lot of heat there.

Top Bottom