Changing air filter and a hose was disconnected... I think

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi All,

I am new to the site and new to the world of cutting the cord of taking the bike into the dealer to have simple work done.

Let me start off my apologizing for not using the correct terms as I am self taught in this ST world (I did get a Haynes Service and repair manual to help me). I am going through some of the basics; oil change, final drive fluid, air filter, etc. When I was swapping out the air filter and was putting that part back, I noticed on the gas tank, that was propped up, there were two hoses on the right side (if you are looking at the tank from the front of the bike) and one of them wasn't connected to anything. I also noticed down by the bottom of the air filter cover another hose that had a metal part sticking out of it (this hose also had "1205 printed on it if that matters). When I reached this hose to the other one it "seemed" like they may have been connected but were disconnected when I propped up the gas tank. I thought it would be weird to have two hoses at this part of the bike to not be connected to anything. When I moved the tank back to it's forward position I could connect these two hoses.
I am hoping that someone knows what I am talking about and could tell me if I was right in putting them back together or not. I have not started up the bike as I still need to go through my last step of replacing the coolant. I really started thinking about this after I put the tank back together and of course didn't take a picture for some reason. I found a picture online that is pretty much what I am talking about, maybe this helps. I don't want to open that part up again if I don't have to but I will if needed.
So, I am really trying to see if anyone knows that all three hoses that are connected to the underside of the gas tank are supposed to be connected to other hoses or if I need to get back in there and disconnect these.

I believe that this picture answers my question in that the hose that looks like the one in question is most likely the one on the right that is grey and goes down and connects to one that is brown.

After writing all of this I know this may sound like a non-issue but I guess I am just looking for an opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about, not just me who "thinks" that it looks right. Don't want to ruin my bike from something that I did just to save money by doing work myself!

Thank you for reading this and any help that can be given would be greatly appreciated!!

And thus concludes my first "crazy man fixing his bike for the first time" post.

Rich

Attachments

Byron

STOC #
There should be no disconnected hoses and putting them back together is the right thing to do. From just the one picture it is hard to say for certain but hopefully the manual has a diagram of where the hoses need to go with proper routing, the factory manuals do. Hopefully your bike will run smoother with the hoses connected properly.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The three hoses are, from the left side of the bike, overflow drain, breather and air vent. All should be connected, and none of the should pull off their fitting if properly installed and routed. The air vent hose should be installed with a clamp and routed through the hose guide just aft of the fittings; the other two get routed through the one near the front-left corner of the fuel sender.

(All of this information is in a single photo in Chapter 5 if the Honda service manual.)

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'd recommend getting a factory manual as well...they can be had for less than the cost of one oil change on eBay, or sometimes on the forum, from folks who get another kind of bike. I like having both of the manuals, sometimes one has something the other does not!

Best of luck in your wrenching!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'd recommend getting a factory manual as well...they can be had for less than the cost of one oil change on eBay, or sometimes on the forum, from folks who get another kind of bike. I like having both of the manuals, sometimes one has something the other does not!

Best of luck in your wrenching!
+1 on everything said!. Oh and I didn't know we could get oil changes on ebay.....

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thank you for the replies! Looks like I was right to reconnect that hose. The "bottom" hose that I connected up went down the right side of the bike, down where I couldn't see where it went from there.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SMSW said:
Oh and I didn't know we could get oil changes on ebay.....
LOL! Not that I'm Grammar Police (far from it) but that's what I 'saw' too!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The overflow drain hose is open under the bike. There is a connector midway though. This the larger of the two hoses that does not have a clamp on it

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Rich, I'm up in Seattle and retired. Not riding a whole lot these days, but ping me if I can be of help.

John

OP
OP
Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks John, I'll keep you in mind!
I was going to ask about the map in people's signatureso but I don't think I need to worry about it right now as I would only have WA colored in!

Top Bottom