2017 - RockSTOC, NatSTOC and then north to Canada and Alaska

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
So on January 1st 2017 I am going to join the growing ranks of the retired. When asked what I am going to do the answer is simple.

"Ride my motorcycle". :D :biker: :D

Alaska has always been floating high on my bucket list and so that is where I plan to head next summer on a two month, 14,500 mile adventure.
07 - 2017-Big-Ride.jpg

Detailed trip on Spotwalla.

I'll start in June with attending RockSTOC III in Ouray, CO and then take a leisurely long route through the National Parks to attend NatSTOC XII in Spearfish, SD. Then north to Canada and Alaska through the rest of July. After fitting a new set of tires in Fairbanks, if the weather is kind the goal is reach the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway. I plan to return via Vancouver and then across to Tofino on Vancouver Island. The goal is to follow the west coast all the way south to San Diego before turning east and returning to Texas.

Detailed Planned Itinerary

Welcome any comments and recommendations for this trip.

Anyone interested in joining me for all or part of this adventure?

Last edited:

Stump

Site Supporter
Bike
VFR1200X
STOC #
What fun! Just don't weld yourself to a schedule and enjoy the ride the folks you meet!

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Are you planning on taking the 1600GT to Alaska?
Yes. KBiK is my ride for now. Don't see a problem with taking it it Alaska as the highway is paved all the way except for west over the "Top of the World" highway from Dawson to Tok.

I would like to do the Dalton from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle if the weather is kind. Even though it is a gravel road, I know lots of people who have done it on an ST or 'wing.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
What fun! Just don't weld yourself to a schedule and enjoy the ride the folks you meet!
Absolutely. Love planning a big trip but will change it as necessary. Biggest concern is booking campsites in National Parks and motels in the high season.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
One fine way to spend the summer Andy..

If I can get to RockSTOC again, would love to do a Utah swing enroute to a second NatSTOC. Kinda wish I had done Utah at RockSTOC two years ago (had planned to), but Colorado pretty much filled my plate!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Retired life is gonna be great, ask me how I know:). Of course I would love to ride up to RockSTOC III again with you. I would be tempted to do the rest of the route with you but Carole and I will just be getting back home after 5 weeks in Europe again in a RV, just in time for RockSTOC.
I'm envious as I always wanted to ride to Alaska.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Wow Mr Morley. That is one helleva plan. My only advice is weather. Anita and I did some of your trip 2 years ago in August and had temps from 70's to low 30's to triple digit plus. It was hard to plan for what riding gear to take. Although we do not own heated gear that might have made the few days of cold less bulky. Have a blast and safe travels.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Retired life is gonna be great, ask me how I know:). Of course I would love to ride up to RockSTOC III again with you. I would be tempted to do the rest of the route with you but Carole and I will just be getting back home after 5 weeks in Europe again in a RV, just in time for RockSTOC.
I'm envious as I always wanted to ride to Alaska.
Gary,

Hope we'll be able to enjoy another RockSTOC together. And I'll go back to Alaska with you any time!

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Wow Mr Morley. That is one helleva plan. My only advice is weather. Anita and I did some of your trip 2 years ago in August and had temps from 70's to low 30's to triple digit plus. It was hard to plan for what riding gear to take. Although we do not own heated gear that might have made the few days of cold less bulky. Have a blast and safe travels.
Thanks for the advice!

I will be in my Aerostich Roadcrafter R3 lite suit to combat the rain and with Warm n' Safe heated jacket and gloves to combat the cold. KBiK has heated grips and seat so the only problem will be the mosquitoes.......

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Like in MotoGP can you get tear off face shield, windshield, front of bike, etc. :)

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #
Andy -

Now I understand all of the 2017 STOC events added to your calendar. Don't forget to get your National
park geezer pass after your next birthday.

See you at Nat.

Ray

Bike
06 ST300 PA
This will be really helpful to me; looking forward to your recommendations, in particular how much rain and cool/cold weather; how long your tires last; not sure what bike you are going on tho? What is it so I can try to evaluate your tire wear situation? I'm kind of thinking of getting tires changed in Edmonton on the way up but that is just a guess right now. I also hope to do that top of the world ride even tho it looks like most-to-all gravel; visit 'Chicken' and Dawson City, etc. So your 'functional' comments and recommendations will be really great to hear! All the best to you and good luck!
GP

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Have a great trip Andy! I think many of us will be wishfully and enviously travelling with you. Will you have enough storage for all your video?

Looking forward to your posts/stories during and after the trip. Hope you can post while you're travelling.

Andy you make my mouth water. The Big K will do just fine. Wish I could go with you. I plan to retire next year.....hope its a fast year. Have fun

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Andy I suppose you know the link in the first post died. I think you're still going north. HAHA

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Andy I suppose you know the link in the first post died. I think you're still going north. HAHA
FWIW, both links in the first post work for me.

Top Bottom