Dang, another flat tire!

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
UGH! Leaving work last night, I took the bike of the centerstand and knew I had a problem! The rear tire (YES, the one I replaced a month ago) was FLAT! Back on the centerstand and rotating the tire reveals a nail or something!

I called AAA and had to wait a little over an hour. While waiting, I removed the tipover wing covers so he could use them for tie down points. We had to put some air in the tire so we can get the bike up on the tow truck. His bed had not been cleaned since his last pickup, so the bed was very oily! I rode the bike up on the bed, and stayed with it while he pulled the bed back up. Then moved the bike around until we got it centered. Boy was that bed slippery!

As we were about to leave I suggested we go the direction he didn't want to go, but right after I told him the way he wanted to go (SR56) had a crane tipped over and would be blocking the traffic. As soon as I told him that, he got word of it. So up Mira Mesa Blvd we went...lots of stopNgo!

Once we got to the I15 freeway, traffic was moving, so the trip home wasn't too bad, so we made good time to Murrieta. Once at my house the driver was trying to figure out how to get the bike back off. With all of that oil, you just couldn't move it much. After a few minutes of him not coming up with a good plan, I turned the bike 180 degrees using the centerstand and had the front of the bike pointing to the back. He stood there in amazement that I could do that! :D

I then moved the bike (after putting more air in the rear tire - yeah, it was leaking that fast.) towards the back of the bed. I used the bike's power to move it while I used my legs as out riggers. Did I say that oil was slippery! No, I didn't drop the bike! :D So we tied some straps to the rear rack ( I took the saddlebags and topcase off) and tied the straps to his winch. As he raised the bed to lower it, I kept the bike upright and guided it down as the bed touched the ground and he was releasing the winch.

Once off the truck, I swapped parking places with the 2012 so I could set the 2012 up in the morning. allowing me to use it today for my commute.

I'll have to go get the tire machine this weekend to pull the tire off and plug/patch it!

On top of it all, my dear wife informed me that the ER doctor that admitted my FIL to the Hospital was wrong, my FIL does have pneumonia, a bad case at that! So, now we are waiting to hear what their (the hospital) next move will be. :(

When it rains it pours!

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
You could have gone to the parts store and bought a kit quicker than AAA got there. Plus, everyone knows that if you carry a plug kit with you, you'll never have a flat.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You could have gone to the parts store and bought a kit quicker than AAA got there. Plus, everyone knows that if you carry a plug kit with you, you'll never have a flat.
The closest auto parts store is several miles from here and I had no way to get there! Tow truck was easier!

Yeah, I was looking for my kit this morning...I'll have to look again tonight. :(

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
His bed had not been cleaned since his last pickup, so the bed was very oily!
I was helping put a couple of bikes on a tow-truck's bed and had the same problem. My hiking shoes were slipping like crazy! I'm wondering if they don't use the oil to help winch the cars up the ramp! I've spun my bike around on the center stand but there's NO WAY I'd try to get it off the stand in those conditions let alone ride it off (though probably safer than walking it off!)!! You have brass ones!

st11ray said:
Plus, everyone knows that if you carry a plug kit with you, you'll never have a flat.
:rofl1: On my first Longer Distance ride my two buddies had plug kits but not me. Guess who got the flat. Note to Self: Get plug kit and needle-nose pliers.

st1300doug

HEY- I need to get a kit. Cause...if that's all it takes to never get a flat....it'll be the best $10-$20 I'll ever spend!! :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
it'll be the best $10-$20 I'll ever spend!!
LOL No need to spend big money on tire inflation kit when for a few bucks you can get flat prevention kit! And it'll spare you the additional heartbreak of a flat in a new tire.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
You wouldn't believe just how close I came to dropping more than once! :eek::
I can imagine! These rigs are heavy in dry conditions !

Can most holes be plugged safely to keep using these tires? I'm new to the "real" faster bikes. I've owned a KLR 650 for the last 10 yrs :)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I make up a pump/plug kit that's always aboard my road bikes for reasons already mentioned. One in the Miata too.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Quote from ST Guri;
"I was helping put a couple of bikes on a tow-truck's bed and had the same problem. I'm wondering if they don't use the oil to help winch the cars up the ramp!"

I drove flat bed Tow Truck for a while ...and NO...you don't oil the bed for "drag on's"...the winch can drag ANYTHING with no problem. The ONE time I wanted a slippery bed was to
UNLOAD a locked car that was towed by call of police officer. (they didn't want it opened for evidence reason) I dragged it UP and on the bed with all four tires squealing. At the police station i was confronted with the unload problem. Forget tying it to a fixed ballard post and driving away. lol I got out the squeeze bottle of dish soap...squirted a line behind each tire...added some water with a sponge, tilted the bed high and jiggled the beds hydraulics as it slid a few feet at a time...letting the winch cable out a little at a time ...both hands in use. Once the rear tires were on the ground they had enogh grab to pull the front slippery wheels off. Whew ! Problem solved without calling for advise or backup. lol

Usually you wash the bed after a dripping wreck job...but on a crazy busy shift.....its a handicap with the bed greasy. Towed several bikes on a tilt flat bed including a Boss Hog.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
you don't oil the bed for "drag on's"...the winch can drag ANYTHING with no problem.
Thanks for the inside baseball. I looked like Sammy Davis and Fred Astaire combined! Nice save with the soapy water. Easy clean up.

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Thanks for the inside baseball. I looked like Sammy Davis and Fred Astaire combined! Nice save with the soapy water. Easy clean up.
Here is a wild tow story. Down hill corner right......center divide K rail. Three car pile up, right side lane...the front two cars are roof to roof, one on top of the other one.
Top car wheels up. Third car up tight to the double decker pair(at rear)....wheels down. All three burned and still smoldering...no one was hurt (unreal) I pull in front of the double decker and wait till the fire crew calls it safe to tow...then back in and slide the upside down one (as is) onto the bed...slipping to the side rail on the bed easily with a metal roof.
I secure the slippery turtle and pull ahead to help the second flat bed driver pull his two (wheels down) burned cars onto his bed. Pacheco pass was closed for a total of 2hrs .

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Can most holes be plugged safely to keep using these tires? I'm new to the "real" faster bikes. I've owned a KLR 650 for the last 10 yrs :)
Yeah, after some thought, I'm going to plug this hole for now and in a month or so, when I have to replace my front tire, I will go ahead and do the patch/plug thing then!

The issue is to get my tire machine from storage, which will require me to get my trailer out (big PIA) then go to storage and pick up the tire machine, drag it home, then take it back and put the trailer back. So, plugging it will be fine, (I've ridden on a number of plugged tires) and waiting until I have to replace the front tire, after it wears out would make better sense! :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's plugged and doing fine. Rode it in again today.

I was at Pep Boys the other day and didn't even see any plug/patches! What's up with that???

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well Big Bro, you're the exception!

Although, in my 295,000+ miles I've put on ST1300s in the last 11 years, I have had either 4 or 5 flats! This is the only one that has stranded me! :(

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's plugged and doing fine. Rode it in again today.

I was at Pep Boys the other day and didn't even see any plug/patches! What's up with that???
SupraSabre,
what plug patches do you use? Now that I have my own changer I would like to be able to patches if necessary. My last set of tires I had 4 plugs in the rear and 1 in the front.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
SupraSabre,
what plug patches do you use? Now that I have my own changer I would like to be able to patches if necessary. My last set of tires I had 4 plugs in the rear and 1 in the front.
Nothing fancy! I just bought these off ebay, figured I'd give them a try!

ebay Patch/Plugs

Top Bottom