1992 Honda Shadow- A Classy Cruiser

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
This is the bike that I owned before I switched to the ST world- a 1992 Shadow. I bought it used in 1995 and kept it after I bought my first ST1100 way back 16 years ago. I only ceased to be the owner of it last year when I gave it to my brother-in-law. I think that this is a terrific bike. It did every thing that I needed for a long time and for many miles. The write-up says that it wasn't designed for long trips and could be comfortably ridden for a 100 miles at a stretch. Hell- I literally went all over North America on this thing. I have been to the Grand Canyon and California- from Montreal- on it a couple of times. I have done about 270, 000 KM (168, 000 miles) on this bike and have no complaints about it other than on a long trip the fuel range can keep you attentive. It has a small tank for touring so it is a good thing that it always delivered an amazing 60 or so MPG. I did most of that mileage in about a ten year period. In true Honda dependability fashion it never faltered. Other than routine maintenance items in all those years and miles it suffered one fork seal leak, once clutch push shaft seal leak, the front wheel bearings had to be changed twice and the speedometer cable broke and had to be replaced twice- I wore them out I guess! I never even needed to change one single light bulb in all that mileage.

In case anyone is interested I have scanned and attached this card about what was a great bike for me.

Enjoy!

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's cool, this is my first bike ever back in Dec 1999 - a '96 Shadow, they started calling them Shadow Spirit in '97 if I remember correctly.

i-Z2495rt-L.jpg

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I had an 86 VT700 Shadow years ago Candy Apple red they were a great bike under powered but an easy bike to ride. I am glad I found the ST though. Back then I was only riding locally.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Agreed- I'm glad I found ST's as well. As a matter of fact I bought my first ST specifically for traveling. After going all over N.A. on the Shadow I learned from it what I wanted in a touring bike based on what I found was lacking on the Shadow for long distance riding. The criteria I gleaned from those experiences led me directly to the ST1100. After that the Shadow became my day and weekend trip bike for many more years. Making the ST my primary traveling bike does not mean that I think that the Shadow is a bad bike for traveling- just that the ST is better. I still think that the Shadow is a great bike and have no regrets for having had it and I have no regrets about having taken it on the many very long trips that I have done on it. It proved to be very versatile, very dependable and because it is so easy to ride I would recommend it to anyone in a heart beat.

gorovers

Go Blackburn Rovers!
Bike
1993 Honda ST1100
STOC #
Yup, I have fond memories of my 1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. Fun bike, but I sold it and returned to riding sport/touring machines when a stranger said, "Nice Harley!" :doh1:
P1010002.jpg

v8-7

Site Supporter
Here is my 99 Touring ACE .. I bungeed on a 3 gallon tank to go cross country to double the stock ~130 mile range.
Zero drops on that bike !

Attachments

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I bungeed on a 3 gallon tank to go cross country
Hey- that's cheating. Where is your adventurous spirit? I just kept going until I found gas. I did a bit of puckering now and then and I am sure that I was on fumes a few times and I did find gas in some pretty strange places but I never ran out with that bike.

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
My Shadow was a 1984 VT750C (for Canada). It was my return to riding after a few years being a responsible parent. Now my son is a rider too. So much for being responsible...lol. Sweetest sounding bike I ever rode. Very agile for a cruiser.

I miss her.

Attachments

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
VT 1100 nice bike. Looks great!! Honda did a fan.
job on their Machines then, and what endurance U
got out of it! How did that V-Twin run? Pretty smooth? MANY GREAT choices then, &
at that time ( '92 ) - I went ground floor on a
'91 SSMST 1100 - Brand new.
Got 250 K miles out of it - then moved to a new
'07 ST1300 (170 K mi. now)
No regrets on either bike, and I'm sure there
wld. have been none on the VT1100 as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom