On Dec 8th 2016 another 40A upgrade was completed.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
With the help of expert skills Gary Flynn (GreenZR) with a previous 40A upgrade experience and Harry (HR Cole) for driving an hour while on vacation to offer his assistance and occasional anecdote, we installed a 40A alternator then reassembled my bike, 10.5 hours

Some would say it seems like that took too long and I would say that none of those people have installed a 40A alternator in an ST1100 with all of "things" you can be presented with.

It was a good time, there was hardly no back tracking, getting too far ahead of ourselves then having take parts off to be able to put the right part on. It was just being careful. You have electric leads to pull off and disassemble, bolts and nuts to turn and all on a 25 year old bike, so we did it and did it well.

Some of the things that contributed to the extra time was placing the Lewis pin through the drain hole with the correct routing. If it doesn't come through the most straight approach, when you want to remove it from the spring loaded split gear of the base plate assembly, it probably won't come out. That means you have to pull the base plate assembly back out and figure out what is wrong before you break your cable off while trying to remove the Lewis pin and create more problems for yourself.
On the second attempt, having discovered some very small burrs on the Lewis pin and filing them off, was able to route everything properly and get the base plate gears to mesh then remove the pin. Taking your time is the key.

I also hadn't trimmed the shroud before I got there, we would just take the time to do that during the process of installation. At first it was to just trim off what we needed instead of following a picture example they later explained that too much was cut off and you could probably cut less. I'm sure by the time we got to that part, we reasoned there are so many other manufacturing holes in it, to not take that long cutting this piece so we could just move on.

The biggest time saver by far, when I got the alternator back from being rebuilt was finding the shaft teeth had taken enough of a beating it wouldn't mate to the new shaft of the base plate assembly. I spent at least an hour with a file de burring the dings so when it came time to expertly twist the alternator through the frame it would be a pleasant experience placing it then bolting it on.

There are no pictures, we literally did not take one until 13.9 volts was showing on the voltmeter for the first start. I think the main two reasons that happened is Gary and I tried putting on a working 28A stator 2 different times to keep me going, without the expense of an upgrade at the time. They both leaked. The first time more than the 2nd time. I have since successfully repaired the leak in that stator but to attempt a 3rd install with the time investment and not make the upgrade was not on the menu.

The other reason is there are so many well documented pictures for this I didn't feel like being redundant in making even more pictures to look at to reference this upgrade unless there was something that stood out. It didn't happen, there were no surprises, no pictures.
20161208_184127.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
What I would like to mention is what I ordered. It's different for everyone who does this upgrade depending on what you already have. After I spent around 450.00 in parts a complete unit from base plate assembly to 40amp alternator showed up on eBay for 180.00. At least and ST-Owner bought it when I posted the link on the forum.
Also, there is excellent information below, I would like to make direct links that I used for reference.
Partzilla

11202-MAJ-G20 BASE, ALTERNATOR (American Honda)
$36.84

13411-MAJ-G20 SHAFT (American Honda) $36.18
$36.18

32130-MAJ-G40 SUB-HARNESS, ALTNTR (American Honda)
$14.49

38260-MAJ-G20 STAY B, FUSE BOX (American Honda)
$6.99

38270-MAJ-G40 BOX ASSY., MAIN FUSE (American Honda)
$16.69

91004-MT3-003 BEARING (20X47X10.5) (American Honda)
$11.54

91302-MM4-003 O-RING (90X2.3) (American Honda)
$7.60

91304-MAJ-G41 O-RING (American Honda) $4.42
$4.42

You don't need this nut if you have two of them on the alternator.
The top nut is tightened into the lower nut by holding both nuts with wrenches.
94001-06080-0S NUT, HEX. (6MM) (American Honda) $0.69
$0.69

You need 3 of these bolts.
95701-08070-00 BOLT, FLANGE (8X70) (American Honda) $1.55
$4.65
Taxes and shipping 153.04

What I didn't have was the mounting bolt for the STAY B, FUSE BOX. This was the 6.99 mounting plate for the fuse box. If you have an odds and ends bolt bucket like Gary had, you will be able to use that instead of buying one new.

The BOX ASSY., MAIN FUSE, not only has a fuse mounted in place, it has one in the spare compartment, handy. What it doesn't come with is the screws to install sub harness and the jumper wire from the starter relay. Again, if you have a few drawers of metric screws and bolts you will be ok and not have to buy two new ones.

This link was invaluable. It had pictures. John O lined up the parts from the 28A, showing you the order they get transplanted to the 40A alternator.
PLEASE click on the 4th picture in this album. It is a 40mb download of a Word document with more pictures and instructions. Freezing the shaft to place the bearing on it before I started with this project is found in this document.
http://www.st-riders.net/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=22&pid=999#top_display_media

There are a lot of links on this page http://koczarski.com/mmartin/Alt.htm
Scroll to item 13, this is the only picture I could find of an example of how you shape the alternator shroud to to fit after installation.

This link reveals a lot of steps and techniques including a video of placement methods we referenced.
http://www.st-riders.net/?topic=942.0

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Congratulations, Dave! You've joined a very select group of talented STriders who have undertaken a difficult but rewarding task. I have recorded some 185 40amp alternator upgrades to ST1100s to date.

Folks, Dave had a lot of experience with alternators and opted not to borrow the STOC loaner 40amp Alternator Upgrade Tool Kit (with extensive accumulated documentation package) to do his upgrade; however, some 134 fellow STriders have found it very helpful. It's free (postage only) [register]:
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=545.0

Regards, John

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Congratulations, Dave! You've joined a very select group of talented STriders who have undertaken a difficult but rewarding task. I have recorded some 185 40amp alternator upgrades to ST1100s to date.

Folks, Dave had a lot of experience with alternators and opted not to borrow the STOC loaner 40amp Alternator Upgrade Tool Kit (with extensive accumulated documentation package) to do his upgrade; however, some 134 fellow STriders have found it very helpful. It's free (postage only) [register]:
http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=545.0

Regards, John
What John says is 100% accurate. Gary had every tool necessary to do this specific task. If you're mechanically inclined and don't have all of the tools, or one's you've similarly made to John's list, you might get it done but it will be more frustrating. You're already in for at least 7 hours. I realized now the 10.5 hours was a lunch break included, and I had the efficiency of recently placing two 28A stators in the last 2 months. Gary has been working on bikes for over 40 years.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Congrats on a job well done! We have some very talented and knowledgeable folks in the group! You folks certainly contribute much to the value of this forum... also to my humility! :)

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Congrats on a job well done! We have some very talented and knowledgeable folks in the group! You folks certainly contribute much to the value of this forum... also to my humility! :)
I have a previous career as a surgical technician of 20 years that may have been useful for this too. If my head were examined, they'd likely x-ray a motorcycle in there too. We really had a good time, enjoy sharing it. When Gary gets here, he'll share some points too. The day started with nearly trailering my ride the rest of the way there til I realized I accidentally hit my kill switch. I didn't notice for 40 minutes after after I was stopped.
You shouldn't be punished for riding with your hands a little more out of the wind, near your kill switch, to stay warm.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Ahhh yeah... I typically do not use the kill switch, so if it gets turned off, it takes me a few seconds to figure out why the bike won't start. I know the symptoms now... ;)

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Ahhh yeah... I typically do not use the kill switch, so if it gets turned off, it takes me a few seconds to figure out why the bike won't start. I know the symptoms now... ;)
I don't use it either, I know the symptoms too. It can be a kind of hell on your starter until you figure out such a thing.

Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
First off, I would like to thank John for the whole tool loaner program he has STarted. And thanks to all those who have poSTed about how they were able to get this job done. All the poSTs and pictures were a great help. What a great thing it is to be a part of such a great group of people!

I did use the STearing head bearing loaner tool kit to change both mine and RCB's from roller to tappered bearings several years ago.

I do however have all the tools on hand to do the full alt upgrade from the 28 amp up to the 40 amp units here. If I had not had the tools to do so, I moST definitely would have requested the loaner tools to make it happen. Also add that Chris (RCB) and I did upgrade his 93 ST1100 to a 40 amp unit back in early March of this year. And that was when I crafted a few of my own tools to make this happen. The reason I basically crafted a few of my own tools, was to insure that if anyone here in Indiana close to me that needed this upgrade, we would not have to wait on having tools shipped here.

The process was a little delayed on the day we chose to get STarted on Moddy's upgrade, but it all worked out and we were able to get it done in one day, STart to finish. Being that it was pretty late, and pretty cold when we finished, Moddy STayed the night, and I rode with him part of his way home the next day. JuST wanted to be able to know that it would continue to charge ok for his trip home.

It turned out to be a small group Tech Event for the day. It was great, and I loved it.

I will make myself, garage, & tools available for anyone else close to me that needs the upgrade to the 40 amp alt for their ST1100.

Later, Gary.

OP
OP
moddy

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I will make myself, garage, & tools available for anyone else close to me that needs the upgrade to the 40 amp alt for their ST1100.

Later, Gary.
What size Allen bolt did you have on that "T" handle and how did you come up with the technique for placing the base plate assembly?

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #

I used a 12mm allen socket & a 1/2" T-handle driver for this. Fit perfect, and was able to move it just slightly a little bit, slid right into place.

My attempt at the "Lewis" Pin. Worked very well.

As far as placing the base plate and the spring loaded gear drive, it just slipped down in between the frame without any problems. After it was close, all that we had to do was line up the final bolt hole pattern for the three bolts.

Top Bottom