Mice have struck again - ignition wires eaten

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
On a 2006 ST-1300, got FI warning. Bike won't run anymore. Took off the airbox and found mice had made a nest and eaten the casing/wires on 1 and 2 injector.

Just wanted to confirm, is this the part I need? SUB-HARNESS, INJECTOR, 32103-MCS-770

....and to replace do I need to remove throttle bodies?

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
What is it about mice and insulation on wires? Do the plastic manufacturers test plastics to see what is most tasty to mice? Since this is a problem on cars and bikes, why not put something in the insulation that makes it unappetizing so the critters?

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
The best cure for mice is to ride your steed more often. More ride time=less garage time= less time for mice to infiltrate

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
On a 2006 ST-1300, got FI warning. Bike won't run anymore. Took off the airbox and found mice had made a nest and eaten the casing/wires on 1 and 2 injector.

Just wanted to confirm, is this the part I need? SUB-HARNESS, INJECTOR, 32103-MCS-770

....and to replace do I need to remove throttle bodies?
Tom, have not seen you for awhile. I hope all is well other than the mouse mess.

You have the right part number for the harness. It looks like some have been able to replace the harness without removing the throttle bodies but it might depend on how big your paws are. Here are a couple of threads that might give you some help:

linky1 and linky2

With tonight's snow storm it looks like you will have a little bit of time to get this done...

OP
OP
tlartist

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Thanks man. Yea I really wanted to go to the last work day but couldn't make it. Still snowing. Was a busy last couple years. On a PeopleSoft implementation for the state of Wisconsin.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Honda uses a soy based formula for their wiring instead of petroleum based. The little critters know the difference.

Bike
VStrom 650
Do you think the little Japanese fella in Minato -ku that signed off on the soy wiring is still laughing about it.
I have put some sonic deterrents in the garage but for what good they are likely to do I might as well put a sign out front saying "Mice please eat here".
Upt'North.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I have put some sonic deterrents in the garage
I talked to a pest control guy about them and according to him the best you can hope for is temporary reduction in mouse activity around the devices, he believed in poison and glue traps. I put out poison every fall and haven't had any mouse issues for 10+ years, before that I found a lot of pink insulation packed in under fake tank of ST1100 and one year one of the exhaust pipes was packed with crap that blew out after a reluctant start. This year I bought a electric mouse trap for the basement, in the past I had always baited with poison but had no idea of how big a problem our old house really had. I knew that during harvest season and following heavy rains we would get mice, since beginning of October I have executed four mice. The trap is similar to this one.

Gerhard

Bike
09 ST1300
Honda makes an anti rodent tape you can wrap the harness with. I think they make the wire insulation from some sort of soy base instead of petroleum base. Must be tasty to the little critters.

Little buggers got me too!!!!

20180114_115519.jpg

20180114_115506.jpg

Just chewed the wires to one injector thankfully, so i cut it out and replaced it

20180114_122924.jpg

Soooooooo....fyi.....fault #13 equals mice!:D

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Little buggers got me too!!!!

20180114_115519.jpg

20180114_115506.jpg

Just chewed the wires to one injector thankfully, so i cut it out and replaced it

20180114_122924.jpg

Soooooooo....fyi.....fault #13 equals mice!:D
Wow, quite the mouse mansion you got there. Were you riding the bike regularly?

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Out here in mouse country, we have several different kinds of mice - field mice, pack rats, and kangaroo rats. Kangaroo rats don't get into your wiring, the other two types do. I had wires eaten on both my Ford pickup and my Toyota Camry, resulting in over a thousand dollars in damage. I also have had mice infestations in my camper trailer. So I did a bit of research, and found out what mice hate. They hate the smell of mothballs, but so do I. Put mothballs in your vehicle and it'll smell like your old Aunt Minnie until you trade it.

They hate, just as much, the smell of peppermint.

Don's method for keeping mice out of your wires; So, my solution to my mouse problems in my RV, truck and car, install peppermint. Here's how I do it:

Go to Wally World or your food mart and get some small Hefty snap-on lid containers, the smallest ones, which are about 2 inches square. They come in packs of 8.

Get some peppermint essential oil, available at pharmacies and sometimes also at Walmart.

Poke some holes in the lid of the Hefty container, say a half dozen or so, with an awl.

Pour about an eighth of an inch of vegetable oil in the container.

Shake in about 20 drops of the peppermint oil

Snap on the lid.

Place under the hood in convenient flat locations, (on your bike, under the seat). On my pickup I have two, one put on top of each battery with velcro. On my car, one on the battery. In my RV, I have one on the floor at each end of the trailer.

Snap off the lid and refresh the peppermint oil every 6 months or so.

Results? Mouse free for three years - no signs of mouse pooping or collecting stuff anywhere.

Last edited:
Wow, quite the mouse mansion you got there. Were you riding the bike regularly?
Oh yeah! Took the little buggers less than a week to create that sub-division!
Think it was a lot to do with the time of year actually, early autumn and they're looking for their winter abode.

Top Bottom