Russel day long

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Had the bike out for a few trips now and the RDL does feel comfortable. I was out for about 3 hrs on one ride with a few short stops and all was good. My back wasn't more sore than normal! :)

I notice the seat is taller , I try to scoot ahead a little when stopping at lights. No problems though. I also seem to notice that because I'm sitting higher, I feel like my hands are pressing down on the handle bar grips. Seems like I have more weight there now. I'll probably get used to it. I already have the heli-risers too.

Thanks to this forum for making me aware of that seat option and all the great feedback on just how good the RDL seat was!

I"m not overly impressed with mine, I find I am always sliding forward now. Something I never did on the stock seat. I am going to try it on a lower setting (I have it all the way up) and see if that helps, but I do enjoy the extra leg room I now have from being an inch higher.

Bike
ST1300 2012
I"m not overly impressed with mine, I find I am always sliding forward now. Something I never did on the stock seat. I am going to try it on a lower setting (I have it all the way up) and see if that helps, but I do enjoy the extra leg room I now have from being an inch higher.
I had the same problem- noticed it right after I got it - sent it back and they adjusted it. Much better now.

scott

I bought mine used so I don't think that's an option. Even if it is i'll have to put up with it for the rest of this season.. no way I'm sending the seat away at the start of the riding season haha.

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
My passenger complained all the time about sliding forward on my RDL leather pillion seat. I found a cheap, practical solution; it's a non-adhesive shelf liner. I cut it to shape, and placed it on the pillion. Now she doesn't complain at all!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K257T6/ref=asc_df_B001K23C8Y5000344/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B001K23C8Y&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167129511510&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10896893309535079811&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033615&hvtargid=pla-274114082523&th=1

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
My passenger complained all the time about sliding forward on my RDL leather pillion seat. I found a cheap, practical solution; it's a non-adhesive shelf liner. I cut it to shape, and placed it on the pillion. Now she doesn't complain at all!

Impressive, did you put a piece over her mouth as well? :eek:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought mine used so I don't think that's an option. Even if it is i'll have to put up with it for the rest of this season.. no way I'm sending the seat away at the start of the riding season haha.
If you bought it used, that's part of the problem unless the person who had it originally built was very similar to you in physical characteristics. I bought one used just for grins (I have two built for me and they're great) and I realized I wasted my money on it.

If you bought it used, that's part of the problem unless the person who had it originally built was very similar to you in physical characteristics. I bought one used just for grins (I have two built for me and they're great) and I realized I wasted my money on it.
He was very similar in size. I'll try the suggestion above

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Sent mine back for an adjustment. Lowering the seat 3/4 to 1 inch, and shortening the wings some for better ground reach. Hopefully this will help me handle this heavy beast. I need to get back on my stationary bike regimine. This strengthened my legs and gave me more confidence at rest.

Bike
VStrom 650
jspringator;2026217I need to get back on my stationary bike regimine. This strengthened my legs and gave me more confidence at rest.[/QUOTE said:
Now you know you've started something now. I can definitely see a call for an ST exercise video. We could do it with our morning coffee.
Go on post a video, you know you want to.
Upt'North.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I can definitely see a call for an ST exercise video.
* ST pickup squats - 3 sets x 10 reps each. (does NOT count against your "How many drops" total)
* ST centerstand jumps - 3 sets x 10 reps each
* ST pusharounds - 3 sets x 10 minutes/set. Shave 30 seconds off for each 1 foot of elevation gain.
* ST throttle twists - 1 set, for as long as you can get away with

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
* ST pickup squats - 3 sets x 10 reps each. (does NOT count against your "How many drops" total)
* ST centerstand jumps - 3 sets x 10 reps each
* ST pusharounds - 3 sets x 10 minutes/set. Shave 30 seconds off for each 1 foot of elevation gain.
* ST throttle twists - 1 set, for as long as you can get away with
:rofl1:

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Seat came back. Feels like a different bike. They lowered it about an inch and cut back the wings a little bit. This, combined with my ST squats, have really increased my confidence in the bike. I hope it is just as comfy.

Bike
2000 ST 1100 ABS
The cover on my RDL finally died. I went to a local upholstery shop that also did moto seats. At the same time that the cover was replaced with vinyl, she also changed all the foam. She had different firmness foam to use in different places. She completely reshaped the seat to give me the most comfort and best riding position. Wow, what a difference-don't think about my butt anymore.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Well.... not impressed with my seat purchase. I felt like I was always sliding forward and the left side raised wing bothered my leg. I went a few thousand km's also. I explained it all to Russel , sent more pictures in and sent the seat back last winter. $$$ Not cheap...they pay the return though...

Once I received the seat again, they opened up the pocket (by removing the rear seat material) which makes me sit farther back now , having to reach more for the handlebars. Now I can easily slide forward and back and don't feel planted in the seat at all. Its like my butt isn't big enough to fill the void! :) The left wing still feels higher than the right. I looked at the builders notes and he stated that he shaved down the "right" side???

I spoke with Russel again and they are a class act. Very willing to help me out. I didn't realize though and was never told till now , that the warranty expires after 18 months. My warranty expires soon , but they said they will extend it to the end of the year to adjust my seat again, since my riding season is so short and I didn't want to send it in during riding season. I was thinking that they would help me until I was satisfied with my purchase.

My worry now is that since my seat got worse after the first adjustment, what's going to happen with the next one? This will be the last chance to get it right and I don't know how I can be sure it will be. What more do they need to hear other than I'm still sliding forward and the left side needs to be shaved down and not the right side like they did? Along with the pictures I'll send again , what else can I ask them for? You would think that they should know exactly what I need for seat comfort, but I'm questioning that since the first initial build and last adjustment....

Maybe I'll post my seat pictures of my seat and some of you with the same seat can look at it and see what you can see?

thanks

Top Bottom