Russel day long

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'm interested in purchasing a Russell day long seat for my 08 ST1300. Id like to see what the seat looks like on your ride if anyone has a picture I can see. I'm looking for all vinyl , with either the rectangle or half moon quilting patterns.
Also, did anyone have to have "adjustments" made to their seat after the purchase. The shipping to and from Canada isn't cheap....

Thanks

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST1300
Does this seat take out the forward tilt. Meaning does it keep you in an upright posture instead of the forward lean of the upper body.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't know about 'forward tilt' but I bet it could eliminate the forward slide. Even when I had my seat lowered in the front and constantly resisting the ST Slide I sat upright because of my Helibar riser.

EDIT: This is with the stock seat. I've yet to spring for an aftermarket.

Bike
04 ST
STOC #
Does this seat take out the forward tilt. Meaning does it keep you in an upright posture instead of the forward lean of the upper body.
My thoughts on adjusting riders position and comfort; The seat will probably not change the forward lean. For that you need a handlebar riser to move your hands up and back. The forward slide on the stock seat can be alleviated by putting the front of the stock seat in the mid or upper setting and the rear of the seat in a lower stetting (see the seat threads). Some riders have commented that they buy an RDL but prefer the stock seat for 'round town' driving for a variety of reasons. If you get to know someone from the forum in your area or if you attend a STOC event you might find someone to let you try their seat on your bike.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I did see the gallery on their site already , but wanted to see what the forum members had also.

I've sent Russel many emails asking different questions and they are quick to respond and very helpful. One of their questions on their order form is whether or not you have any mods to your handlebars. I'm guessing they want to be aware of rider position. I'll be taking a pic soon of my handle bars, not sure if I have risers or not. They also want a picture of you on the bike to see where your butt is on the seat.

Fairly expensive venture, but I'm hoping it's worth it. My stock seat isn't going to cut it.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you can, a ride in (Shasta Lake, CA near Redding) is the best option (just did one back in the summer) -

http://www.unclephil.us/California2016Day04.htm
http://www.unclephil.us/California2016Day05.htm

My old one they built for me (from pictures) in 2002 had over 200,000 miles on it and the cover was just starting to tear a little bit. They need to see how you are sitting on the seat, your weight, your inseam, etc. because it is custom to you. If you are going to keep the bike, it's the best money you can spend for personal comfort. I had the 'cross hatch' pattern the last time and went with the 'half moon' this time. On a ride in, the seat builder sees how you sit on the bike, builds the 'setup', then places it on the pan so you can see if there are any points of discomfort or adjustments to be made. They have another staff member hold the bike up while you are on it so you can assume your natural riding position. Their 'least' experienced seat builder has 8 years of building seats.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I'd love to be closer to the Russel seat location, but I'm not. It's only about 5740 km's to drive.... :) Funny thing is....I would need the day long seat to even consider a long drive like that!

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Thanks.

If you look carefully at the front of the seat, you can see where it is lower in the front so the rider can slide forward and still touch the ground. In the interest of clarity, we can call this the "straddle section".You can also see where the seat abruptly changes from the "straddle section" to the seating section, that has an obvious back tilt to keep the rider from sliding forward. I specifically asked that it be made so I wouldn't slide forward into the tank while riding.

The only problem you may have is that the seating section is an inch taller than stock. This can cause issues with the windshield height. Since you have a 1300 with an adjustable windshield, this probably won't affect you. I went from a Corbin, an inch lower, to this seat, an inch higher, and I had to figure out how to fix my windshield.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm on my third RDL for my ST1300s!

My first I got a few months after buying my '05 ST1300. A month before getting the saddle, I did a ride of 1,200 miles and let me tell you, after about 500 miles, I had a really bad case of VSB! (VERY SORE BUTT) A few months later, after getting my RDL, my brother and I did a 2,100 mile ride. I stopped in Russell and had them make a minor adjustment, and after that, no VSB there! The only other issue I had with it was the Velour. In six months it turned white and I had Russel recover it with Leather. (I put over 200K miles on it before buying the second RDL)

RDL_saddle_1st.jpg

My second RDL was bought back in 2014 when a Laam saddle I bought wasn't what I wanted, just not comfortable on it. So I bought the RDL from a member on the forum. I was built for someone a little bigger than me, but I found on the lowest setting, it was fine. It's also heated, which is great during the winter commutes! :)

RDL-heated-s.jpg

My third I bought last Spring. I had to send it back because they made it too small for me. Once they adjusted it, it was fine. I just did a 4,800 mile ride last August/September. It was great!

RDL-05-25-2016-s.jpg

Last edited:

TPadden

Tom Padden
My thoughts on adjusting riders position and comfort; The seat will probably not change the forward lean.......
Every seat I've changed DID change both my riding position and my forward lean. Risers only changed my lean (wrist, shoulder, and neck pressure), not necessarily my seated position concerning butt bone and jewell pressure :).

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok, this hasn't been said, so I'll add it. If the RDL seat looked like a mustard colored zit on your bike it would still be the best upgrade you could give your bike and I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Get the half moon pattern. Less stitching holes for water to get into the underlying foam, although, they will also sell you a rain cover, if you want to be sure to keep it dry when on a tour. I too would suggest the ride in installation for a sure fit first time. Had my Russell done down there and the ride home was heaven. You are quite a ways away, over there in New Brunswick, but if you can manage a three week holiday, what better way to do your first major tour?

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Ok, this hasn't been said, so I'll add it. If the RDL seat looked like a mustard colored zit on your bike it would still be the best upgrade you could give your bike and I'd do it in a heartbeat.
LOL....i think it's safe to say these are good seats then! :)

Thanks for the re-assurance!

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Get the half moon pattern. Less stitching holes for water to get into the underlying foam, although, they will also sell you a rain cover, if you want to be sure to keep it dry when on a tour. I too would suggest the ride in installation for a sure fit first time. Had my Russell done down there and the ride home was heaven. You are quite a ways away, over there in New Brunswick, but if you can manage a three week holiday, what better way to do your first major tour?
I would love to take a tour there but realistically,it's not going to happen any time soon....I like the half moon quilt pattern too.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would love to take a tour there but realistically,it's not going to happen any time soon....I like the half moon quilt pattern too.
I went with the basket pattern. It seems to me that it would spread out the weight better, but then what do I know?

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I went with the basket pattern. It seems to me that it would spread out the weight better, but then what do I know?
If your butt is thanking you , then you know lots!

I just want some seat comfort and hopefully that's what I get.

Top Bottom