Russel day long

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
This is a vinyl rider and passenger with the rectangle pattern. I'm very happy with it and didn't need any changes done. My wife has rode on the back through two tanks of fuel a few times without needing to take a break. Happy wife, Happy life, (and more trips).

Dennis

Attachments

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
This is a vinyl rider and passenger with the rectangle pattern. I'm very happy with it and didn't need any changes done. My wife has rode on the back through two tanks of fuel a few times without needing to take a break. Happy wife, Happy life, (and more trips).

Dennis
I went with the half moon version because I'm only doing the front seat and should get it back in about a month. Both seats done would look better ,but cha ching! :)
I sent it in early even though my production date is on the 25th of this month.

Dennis....your bike and seats look really good!

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
Thanks, when I go solo I leave the stock passenger seat on and it looks fine. I don't have to worry about it getting wet and if I carry something on it, it's flatter to tie things down. I hope you like yours when it comes back, I have no regrets.

Dennis

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Motorcycle seats are a v-e-r-y personalized option, with 'prolly no two seats exactly alike. Have had five seats trying to care for my precious butt - and without a doubt, this has been choice for the past several years. 800-1,000 mile days are comfortably consumed with foot pegs greatly adding to the enjoyment level. Having a 30' inseam required a few factory adjustments - notice the reduction of the seat "wing" size. Opted for the velour - and have never looked back. Wouldn't leave home without it. Attached picture somewhat outdated as the "bag rack" is long gone, substituted by a Give plate. Visiting the factory would well be worth your time and enhance the experience. Please keep us posted.

Thank you,
-Elliot

Attachments

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
when I go solo I leave the stock passenger seat on and it looks fine.
At your convenience could you post a pic of your RDL with the stock pillion? I think that's the routed I'd be tempted to take. Maybe get the stocker covered in the same material?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, they will cover backrests, etc. with the same material and style as the seat. On the ST1100 one piece seat, you can get the pillion 'Russellized' or left standard. In my recent ride in, I had them recover 4 passenger backrests and two driver backrests to match the two RDL saddles I was getting. They did a beautiful job on all items.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Wow you must be Uncle Phil Rockefeller!
No, not quite - I'm just pretty good at saving my money for what I want! ;-) I already had one Russell with 200,000+ miles on it that I wanted rebuilt (the cover was started to tear a little bit after only 14 years of use ;-)). And since I was doing a ride in, I thought I'd get another one built with just the front. And since all three of my ST1100s have passenger backrests, I decided I'd get them redone and get an 'extra' just case something happened to one of them. And I already had the two rider backrests so they need recovering. I figure with 3 ST1100s and 2 Russell seats, I ought to be good till my toes turn up or another 400,000 miles - which ever comes first. :D Yes, it was a chunk of change but I will get my money's worth and they really look nice. Terry and the gang do wonderful work and were absolutely great to work with. But I think the real secret to it all is the CIC - Mocha. :D

http://www.unclephil.us/California2016Day04.htm
http://www.unclephil.us/California2016Day05.htm

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well all the RDL talk and pics is making me want one. I'll have to ride enough to merit it though. I was recently informed I'll be making a Grand Canyon trip so maybe one is in order.

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
At your convenience could you post a pic of your RDL with the stock pillion? I think that's the routed I'd be tempted to take. Maybe get the stocker covered in the same material?
Here's one from the archives, I could take a new pic but I have all the plastic off for winter maintenance and it wouldn't give you a very good idea of how it looks. You're probably lucky enough not to have a special season for bike maintenance.:)

Dennis

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well all the RDL talk and pics is making me want one. I'll have to ride enough to merit it though. I was recently informed I'll be making a Grand Canyon trip so maybe one is in order.
My brother, Dave bought a Corbin right after buying his '05 ST1300 back in October 05. I ordered a RDL a few months after buying my '05 ST1300 in Nov 05. Both of us have made a number of trips together, and after our SouthWest Tour back in 2014, he decided to buy a RDL for our WeSTOC 2016 ride, in which he rode about 5,500 miles in a matter of three weeks, so he was glad he did!

Now he went with vinyl, where as I went with leather. My preference is the velour, but as much riding as I do, the velour fades too quickly.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Motorcycle seats are a v-e-r-y personalized option, with 'prolly no two seats exactly alike. Have had five seats trying to care for my precious butt - and without a doubt, this has been choice for the past several years. 800-1,000 mile days are comfortably consumed with foot pegs greatly adding to the enjoyment level. Having a 30' inseam required a few factory adjustments - notice the reduction of the seat "wing" size. Opted for the velour - and have never looked back. Wouldn't leave home without it. Attached picture somewhat outdated as the "bag rack" is long gone, substituted by a Give plate. Visiting the factory would well be worth your time and enhance the experience. Please keep us posted.

I'm quite certain that this RDL seat will be the best thing I could have done, especially where I need ride comfort dealing with back pain and sciatic issues.

I do see your seat with smaller wings, still looks good and the most important thing is that it works for you. I do wish I could drive into the RDL building and have a real good understanding of what they offer, but it's quite a hike for me. :)

You can see what they charge to re-cover anything on their website. They do re-cover lots of things for you if you want. I did think about recovering the passenger seat but it's not necessary, I don't sit there! :)

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
The only negative to my RDL is that it put me 2 inches taller than my Corbin (that was an inch lower than stock). That messed up my windshield coverage. If I had it to do over, I would have looked into a sport version that would be stock height. That may be irrelevant with the 1300's adjustable windshield. There is no doubt that it is extremely comfortable. I got a backrest, that I love, and heat, that I have never used.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
The only negative to my RDL is that it put me 2 inches taller than my Corbin (that was an inch lower than stock). That messed up my windshield coverage. If I had it to do over, I would have looked into a sport version that would be stock height. That may be irrelevant with the 1300's adjustable windshield. There is no doubt that it is extremely comfortable. I got a backrest, that I love, and heat, that I have never used.
I can see that raising the seat height for most people could be a negative.I hope I can deal with it too when my seat comes back. Standing flat on the ground when stopped is important .What I understand from Russel is that the sport seat doesn't have as much support as the full day long version.I wanted every bit of comfort with the price I'm paying so if I need to get heels on my boots, it's happening! :):)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
.I wanted every bit of comfort with the price I'm paying so if I need to get heels on my boots, it's happening!
I'm not sure how the 1300 RDL fitment compares with the 1100 fitment, but my RDL did raise me about 2 inches initially and you will find that once you get the seat broken in (about 1,000 miles), it will set you a bit lower than that. However, if you slide your butt forward when stopping, as far as possible, so the boys are hugging the tank, your legs gain more clearance from the wings of the seat to get a foot down easily. So that also means you might need to get away from the habit of putting two feet down (if you do) and perfect your stopping technique with only the left foot down.

OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I agree that should work to get both feet on the ground by moving ahead as far as you can. Stopping with both feet on the ground is the only way I've done it with the few times I was able to ride before my season ended. Maybe I'll just have to keep moving and never stop? :)

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Kevcules, I'm including some pictures of my Russell seats after I received them. I have the rectangle pattern. I preferred the look over the half moon. As far as after purchase adjustment, I didn't need any. I chose all leather; I got a discount through a different forum, that made it worth it. Also, if you ride in very warm weather much the leather will not give you "hot spots" that vinyl can.

As for the "leaning forward", I found that has to do with the handle bar reach. So, if your bike has risers installed your riding position will most likely be more up-right, and less leaning forward than OEM. As I recall, the Russell seats will not change your riding position (it didn't change mine). Whatever your seating position is now, the Russell seat will not change it. I, personally, like the slight lean forward as it keeps my back from hurting.

I ordered my seats using their online order form. I took the requested photos and sent them in. Just be sure to take the photos just as they describe. It's not difficult. I used the center stand, a tripod and built-in camera timer.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevcules

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Kevcules, I'm including some pictures of my Russell seats after I received them. I have the rectangle pattern. I preferred the look over the half moon. As far as after purchase adjustment, I didn't need any. I chose all leather; I got a discount through a different forum, that made it worth it. Also, if you ride in very warm weather much the leather will not give you "hot spots" that vinyl can.

As for the "leaning forward", I found that has to do with the handle bar reach. So, if your bike has risers installed your riding position will most likely be more up-right, and less leaning forward than OEM. As I recall, the Russell seats will not change your riding position (it didn't change mine). Whatever your seating position is now, the Russell seat will not change it. I, personally, like the slight lean forward as it keeps my back from hurting.

I ordered my seats using their online order form. I took the requested photos and sent them in. Just be sure to take the photos just as they describe. It's not difficult. I used the center stand, a tripod and built-in camera timer.
Thanks for the pics, your seats look good. The pics I took were ok for Russel. Just another month or so to get it back. I sent it in early...Not like I can drive the bike in the snow right? :)

Take Care

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
Take the time to break it in, as Russell suggests. You will be glad you did.

Putting your feet down feels different with their seat. I'm not tall, and it didn't take long for me to get very comfortable putting my feet down. After that, the riding is pure joy. :03biker:

Top Bottom