fuel feed problem?

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I would inspect the little secondary filter just in front of the Air cleaner. If it is in pieces or missing you could have ingested those bits into the carbs.
I replaced mine with a piece of Terry cloth about 40k miles ago and just inspected last week, still good.
Along those lines, since you had a shop do some of the work, I wonder if they used any cleaner that might have damaged a diaphragm on one of the carbs.
Or you could have a ripped diaphragm. Your description of running on 3 cylinders sounds like it could be carb related.

OP
OP
dave120v
Hi Thanks for the reply
The problem is not in the carbs I have replaced them with a second hand set which I inspected and had set up and balanced on the engine. I have also replaced the coils and lead set just in case and the result is the same. I am just wondering if the advance and retard on the ignition system is not working as its just like a flat spot from about 4k on wards under load of acceleration if you just rev the engine static there seems no problem. Its just when under load as I have said. If your accelerate normal just going up through the gears it seems ok as far as I can tell. I just wondered if there was anyone in the UK near me that would meet up and see if maybe I am asking too much from the engine as I have never owned a pan before Dave

OP
OP
dave120v
Just to say that I have bypassed and cleaned all the fuel system and checked the pump as well for current consumption and fuel flow as well as fitting new filter all made no difference. so I am now thinking its not fuel based but I may be wrong.

OP
OP
dave120v
Hi Guys,
At last I have sorted this problem. it was the carbs. The second set I got had the same problem it was slightly different but not enough to be convincing. So I tried various other venues like removing exhausts removing air filter all did very but what made the most difference was removing the air filter, it would hardly run above 4K. So I bit the bullet and decided to strip the original carbs down as I had the second hand ones on and running. I had the bodies ultrasonically cleaned and put it all back and what a change! a completely different bike. Great news so now I can enjoy the bike for what it is.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Glad it's sorted and what a relief to put that all behind you. I no longer have the patience or inclination to deal with carbs.

Top Bottom