Sena or other Bluetooth headsets

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Just curious how you all might store your Sena units. I just bought a new 20S dual pack they are still in the box I did connect them to the Sena App and upgrade the firmware. So my question is do you charge them and put them away keep them on a charger while not in use or something else. I e-mailed Sena and their tech supports answer is below and I wanted to see what you all think.

Agent 10, Dec 15, 10:48 AM PST:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Sena Technologies.

If you are not using the device, it would be best to fully charge the unit.
If stored for a couple of months, you can charged the unit once a week.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I keep them on the table in the office and just charge fully a day or two before my next planned ride.. I always make sure I keep one connected up to that actual ride day so I get the most out of it.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
the Sena should be able to last a few months on a complete charge if not being used.

I would suggest you just plug them inonce a month. Get into the habit soi you don't forget. The units have circuitry that will stop you from over-charging, but nothing to stop the battery from getting drained completely dead. Yes, the unit will shut down when it is low, but the circuitry is still pulling a very small draw even after that happens, and completely dead lithium battery cells (any chemistry) is hard to recover from.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have two units. I use one for a few days (about 12 hours worth of riding), then swap. The one not being used is in my tankbag getting recharged. Often, I'll take one and put the charger to it for the night.

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Thanks for the Sena question. It reminds me to take mine in out of my frozen unheated garage. It is out there connected to my helmet. Hope our freezing weather has not killed the battery yet. I will be sure to bring it in and fully charge it before it hibernates inside for the LONG COLD winter here in Newfoundland.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
Thanks for the reminder Kevin. Just grabbed mine and started charging them. usually top them off every couple months.

<D>

I've been doing a lot of reading about lithium batteries lately. Lots of conflicting advice. I hit a couple of posts from people in the industry (sorry, I did not save them) who recommend storing lithium at 80% charge to keep longest life. This is for a battery that will be stored with no draw, meaning it takes a very long time to leak down to empty. I don't know how this would apply if there is a little residual draw. With a draw, a 100% charge would not stay that way too long, so I would just charge it up and let it go until pretty close to bottom. More frequent recharge won't hurt it, and does not use up any extra life cycles. Rating is how many times it will recharge fully. Recharge from half empty uses only half of a life cycle.

Top Bottom