ST1300 Mileage 75k 2003 - Yes or No?

Hi,

I'm hoping to look at a couple of bikes this weekend. The one that ticks all (most!) of the boxes is a 2003 ABS model with 75k mileage. The only downside for me is that it has service history every 3k miles up to 34k, then there is a 6 year gap until the next one at 74k miles.

I'm guessing it's been home serviced but have no way of telling. The current owner has only owned it since April.

It's fairly cheap (?2500), but I am concerned over the lack of history.

Any advice would be gratefully received - I've made a note of the 'Common Issues' listed on this site so that I can check as many of those as possible.

Thanks in advance...

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
As long as the oil has been changed. and it runs well. It should be ok.. You will want to a valve check but that's not that hard.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Don't worry about the mileage.......check all the normal stuff. When started stone cold....does it smoke?? 75k is nothing on these bikes.

ToddC

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
75k is ok if all else is good. A few things to consider...

• Remove the rear wheel and inspect the splines if you can. Also spin the bearings with your finger and see how they feel.
  • How does the clutch and brake fluid look? Should be pretty clear, not brown.
  • Pull the seat an some plastic and see how things look under there.
  • Check tire condition and age.
  • Ride it and brake hard on the front and rear to engage the linked braking system, specifically the SMC on the front. Be sensitive to dragging brakes.
I'm sure others can chime in with a few other things to check out. Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
Thanks all. Looks like I may have been worrying too much about the service history.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
Has the timing belt ever been changed? Might not be due by mileage, but if it is the original belt change may be needed by time.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Hi,

I'm hoping to look at a couple of bikes this weekend. The one that ticks all (most!) of the boxes is a 2003 ABS model with 75k mileage. The only downside for me is that it has service history every 3k miles up to 34k, then there is a 6 year gap until the next one at 74k miles. but I am concerned over the lack of history.
There are several threads on this website describing what to check on a used ST. You might search for them - or, if you buy the bike, ask where they are/what other guys would check. There is a LOT of good info buried in the ST-Owners' server....

Bike
ST1300
Well... I bought it. Had a 200 mile ride home and love it.

Thanks for your advice, I'm glad I listened.
Congratulations - they're cracking bikes, I commute into West London on mine, filtering's easy (mirrors are the widest point so if they go through everything else does), load carrying easy, slow speed control easy, and amazing on a long trip.

Oh, and 75k...nothing on one of these matey :)

Top Bottom