Looking to purchase a trailer hitch for 2007 ST1300

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I just ordered the Uni-Go trailer hitch due to your reviews. Going to haul a Alpine Classic with electric brakes. Used to haul it behind the 1800 wing. Never thought about trailering it behind the ST until I saw this. Will keep it light as I will be solo on the bike.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Looking at travlite trailer to tow behind my ST. Now I need a hitch and wiring.
Anyone here tow a travlite? I never heard of them till today. Odd that one came for sale here in Newfoundland. Premium price of $2800 CDN.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
The Elite Camper Trailer was quite spacious when fully set-up. A 6' x 4' bed with about 2' standing area at the foot of the bed, as well as an 8' x 8' annex.

1682583722521.jpeg

Optional sides (only one in pic) and front for when it's really chilly or wet. Some owners had purchased and extra 8' x 8' annex (and sides & front), usually big Hog, Wing or Spyders owners, as too much extra, unnecessary weight for the ST.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I hate wiring!! I really hoped there would be a plug and play option. I also hate to pay others to pick at my baby, but it may be worth paying a professional to do the wiring to have it do right. Are there any wiring diagrams available?

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I hate wiring!! I really hoped there would be a plug and play option. I also hate to pay others to pick at my baby, but it may be worth paying a professional to do the wiring to have it do right. Are there any wiring diagrams available?
I don't recall if there are some here, but I imagine there are. You'll be tapping into the + feed on each turn signal, the brake light and tail light. There will run into relays or an "isolation box" that gets power straight from the battery. The goal is to keep the trailer wiring isolated from the bike's wiring.

Is the new trailer wiring connector a 4 pin flat, 5 pin flat, multi-pin round etc? That will determine how things get wired.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I had my former MSF coach friend and electrician help me wire mine.
The trailer isolation harness mentioned by @Obo was sourced from Bushtec trailers, it is just a generic one. They used to offer an ST1300-specific harness, but as you might imagine, it's discontinued.
For some strange reason, these just don't seem to be in high demand these days. Generics are available elsewhere, too.
We went straight to battery, but there's also a tie in to the tail light.
Others who actually did their own wiring, can provide more detail.

Bike
2011 Honda ST1300
Wiring a trailer plug is not hard, it's just a matter of being careful, patient and methodical, the hard part is keeping it clean and tidy, that in turn can be difficult, big in tight places. Having said that, my wiring is functional, safe (fuses where needed), but looked like a a bird's nest.

Best part is I get to do it all again, gotta fit a new tow bar and a trailer plug on the new (to me) soon after it arrives.

Patience ......

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The price has almost doubled from when I bought it a few years ago, so an expensive option now.

If you hate wiring, this is about as simple as you will find. You only need to make the connections the motorcycle's wiring.
The nice thing about it is that it is all solid state, with all of the relays included in that little box that is completely waterproof.
It also has an additional 10 amp circuit included that you can use as an accessory power wire to run power to your trailer for whatever you want such as an electric cooler or to recharge a trailer battery off of the motorcycle charging system while you are driving down the road. It is quite small and can be placed in the empty space underneath the rear shelf behind the passenger seat instead of taking up space under the seat.
Kuryakyn Universal Trailer Wiring & Relay Harness - 7671

Are there any wiring diagrams available?
Trailer Isolation Relay

ST1300 - Wiring diagram : Trailer Isolation Relay

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
I am getting me camper trailer delivered tomorrow. Very excited to see it in person, as I purchased it sight unseen!!!
I think I have sources a wiring set up, however the hitch is another story. Truman hitch at https://theusatrailerstore.com/truman-hitch/ is only $119 USD, but they won't accept my Canadian credit card, and won't ship to Canada. Delray in Quebec is available to me but cost is about $600 for hitch alone. Yikes. There has to be dozens of these around and not being used. Nothing on e bay. Hurts to pay $600 for a hitch. Anyone have any other options for me?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
@Happy Rob I bought my ST hitch used from a member here.
But that was last year; I wouldn't hold my breath.
But when I bring my new GS/A home later this summer (I will - really!!) I'll add a trailer hitch to it as well.
"Only" $495.
I don't expect anyone here to have a used BMW 1250GS trailer hitch... Bueller? :)

Happy Rob

Rob
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Still have not found a hitch at decent price. $575 for denray in Quebec. That hurts.
I did my first Reno on camper. Some fool sewed a Harley badge on the door. Is gone now...I feel better!

Reactions: Obo

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Just an idea, post up on ADVrider in Flea Market.
Call Bushtec trailers for leads, or any thoughts Todd may have there.
Call Electrical Connection, ask Lewis for ideas or lead.
There's a couple moto-trailer groups on farcebook, don't have those names at the ready, but you should be able to find them with Search. Bushtec has a group there too.
Looks like you are in for a quest... get around on the internet, and something will turn up. Ask others for thoughts I have missed here.
I found one in our For Sale forum, but it didn't happen instantly.
Perseverance will be rewarded - now get after it like you're serious! :)
EDIT: pricing a hitch for my 1250 GS/A seems to be right at $500, but as it's a new bike, hitches are available.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Years ago, I bought a wiring kit from Uni-Go. It allowed me to unplug the tail light/turn signal/stop light harness and put in a ~3" harness that pulled the signals for all the mentioned lights. Stock wiring plugged into each end. I used a 1500 'Wing one on my ST1100. No wire cutting!! ;) Don't know if they're still available.

Top Bottom