Heated grip controller question

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
So, while my 13 is down, I started looking at other stuff that needs repair.
I broke my hondaline grip controller while working on something else, and of course, you can't buy just the controller anymore. Has anyone tried using one of these?
http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/EHOX696HS.html
Or this?
https://www.denniskirk.com/moose/replacement-controller-0631-0021.p595468.prd/595468.sku
Then I found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Dimmer-Switch-for-LED-Strip-Light-12V-8A-Mountable-with-Terminals-/251985183083?hash=item3aab7cc16b:g:8IMAAOSwEzxYXXCx
Which, from my research makes me believe it would actually perform the same function, and I don't see the grips pulling more than 8 watts.....

I have zero experience with these things, so I'm looking for something that will be relatively easy to install.

Last edited:

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
The eBay LED controller is good for 8 amps. I've used them for years for grip heaters and all sorts of things. I pull the little board and rheostat out of the box to save space. It's simple to extend the three wires to the pot if needed. They seem to be a very low heat circuit so have covered them with a small baggie and tape.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
The eBay LED controller is good for 8 amps. I've used them for years for grip heaters and all sorts of things. I pull the little board and rheostat out of the box to save space. It's simple to extend the three wires to the pot if needed. They seem to be a very low heat circuit so have covered them with a small baggie and tape.
Ok. well for 4 bucks, I think it's worth rolling the dice. I don't really need the push button and flashing lights, I'm fine with a rotary dial. I'll glue something over the original hole and just use the guts to save space. I would like an led to indicate on or off, not sure how I would do that, hopefully google will be my friend. I'm really rusty on this kind of stuff. Took me 4 hours to wire a motion detector into my laundry room so the light goes on when you walk in, I got tired of walking across the room to turn the light on, previous owner didn't add a switch at the inside door. dunno why, it's an added on room, would have been easy during construction, now, not so much. Log houses are a pain for adding wiring, I had to get really creative when we remodeled the bathroom, but I ended up with a kind of chic industrial look.

OP
OP
Ozzie
Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
My biggest thing is, will they work with the hondaline grips, but I believe I'm just overthinking it.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Sorry to be so long in responding.

An LED us simple to include. I use one with a series resistor so that it doesn't light until nearly 12 volts. I keep a pile of them around for various projects.

Top Bottom