Which one would you buy?

Hey all, I'm scouring the classifieds, and unfortunately, there aren't any ST1100s any closer than about 300 miles. I guess a road trip is in order. I have found a few of them, in the neighbouring province, all within $500 from each other. Quite a difference in mileage, just wondering if the difference is significant. I know these bikes have a reputation for being long lived, but how long?

My '76 CB400F only has 26k miles on it, but due to its age, I don't think I'd take a cross country trip on it, the fuzzy bits are just too brittle on it.

Here is what I found (they are all non-abs models):

1. An '01, burgundy, 40k miles, Givi top case. Fluids changed, claims to have maintenance records. The most expensive, and ten hours away.

2. An 01, burgundy, 60k miles, Givi top case. New tires, two owner bike. Six hours away.

3. A '95, red (nice), looks all stock. Few Maintenance details. The cheapest (tie) nine hours away.

4. A '98, green, 95k miles. All stock, new tires, claims to have maintenance records. The cheapest (tie), the closest, at four hours drive.

I think I know which one you'd steer me towards, but I figured I'd ask just the same...

There are also two 1300s closer to here, one with 90k on it (ABS model), and one with 19k on it (non ABS). A couple of grand more expensive.

Thoughts?

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Oh no question......One of the 1300s !!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :bow1: :06biker:

ToddC

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Go for the 90k ST1300 with ABS, as long as it has been maintained well. You might be able to talk the seller down due to the mileage, which is of little consequence in reality.
Stay away from the '95 ST1100. Inferior brakes, front suspension and stock alternator.

OP
OP
Wow! Quick responses!

I wasn't expecting the response to be so overwhelmingly in favour of the 1300s. I guess I had read so many posts with people who've had both and preferred the 1100 that the preference would go that way.

The 1100s are priced from $2500-$2800CDN

The 1300s are an '04, the 90K ABS one, with farkles and a claimed meticulous maintenance record, priced at $4000, the 19k one is an '03 non ABS with new rubber, priced at $4600.

I guess the question becomes, is ABS and electric windscreen worth going to a bike with an extra 70K.

One thing worth mentioning is that I'm 5'9", and live in an area where the hottest day of the Summer doesn't quite hit 90 degrees (usually 75 or so), so heat wouldn't be an issue, either...

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I guess the question becomes, is ABS and electric windscreen worth going to a bike with an extra 70K.
IMO, no.
Reasons.

1) as great as it is, I rarely ever use my electric screen.
2) you don;t know if the previous owner abused it. Moving it at speed will eat up the driving gear. I think it's about $350 to replace the assembly.
3) ABS is nice, but the riders in the world of motorcycles survived for many years without. It will continue to do so.

4) Against the other comments, the Blue is a nice color and that is a really good price.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Wow! Quick responses!

I wasn't expecting the response to be so overwhelmingly in favour of the 1300s. I guess I had read so many posts with people who've had both and preferred the 1100 that the preference would go that way.

The 1100s are priced from $2500-$2800CDN

The 1300s are an '04, the 90K ABS one, with farkles and a claimed meticulous maintenance record, priced at $4000, the 19k one is an '03 non ABS with new rubber, priced at $4600.

One thing worth mentioning is that I'm 5'9", and live in an area where the hottest day of the Summer doesn't quite hit 90 degrees (usually 75 or so), so heat wouldn't be an issue, either...
You want ABS; I will never own another street bike without it. $4k is a good deal for that bike as long as it has been maintained well. 90k miles on one of these is nothing, except for a dealer or potential buyer - you are in a great bargaining position. I am 5'9" as well and have been riding STs of some sort for over 25 years with no problems concerning seat height. Heat is minor compared to my old VFR, HD and Ducati.

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
Look for a 2000 or 2001 ST1100 with ABS and around 50,000 miles with a service history. They are out there. Check ebay and Search Tempest for a wide Craigslist search. I drove to Minneapolis from Lexington KY to get mine. The 1100 is a stable tourer that can handle the twisties. The 1300 is designed to be sportier, with a shorter wheelbase. But it also has a shorter seat and is slightly lighter. You will pay more for a 1300, but it may be worth it to you. I wouldn't skimp on the ABS.

I lowered my 1100 1 1/4" with a Works shock. Cost $500, but it was worth it to me. I'm not sure they make one for the 1300, but you can check their website.

OP
OP
I wouldn't want to cross the border, as I'd take a 30% hit on currency exchange, not to mention the paperwork hassle.

Bike
2010 ST1300
YOU need to make a few decisions. ABS or not? There are probably as many guys on this website who swear they would never buy a bike without ABS as those who swear the opposite. And while many of us will never use it, some do and say it saved their bacon. Note that after needing this (or any) safety feature wishing you had purchased it before the accident doesn't do a whole lot of good.

I've sworn that I will never again buy a bike without an adjustable windscreen - preferably electric. Its convenience is outstanding and as far as the comment about us having lived for years without movable windshields...there are a lot of conveniences we consider indispensable today that were not around even 10 or 20 years ago. How many of us ride off without a cell phone? Again, you need to decide. The 1100 and 1300 are different bikes. When I was looking (I test rode an 11) someone told me what I say below in the next sentence.

All things equal, I'd go for the newest (read youngest) bike with the lowest miles on the clock, though the latter for these bikes is not so important. Remember that rubber parts have a limited life (as do switches, etc.) and hoses, while not expensive, may need to be replaced on older bikes. Consider this - Honda fixed some of the problems on the 1100 when they updated it to the 1300 (grin, and created a few that didn't exist before). And of course, all things are NEVER equal. I place a high value on complete service records, but you might not. And a lot of us place a high value on cosmetics. YMMV goes a long way here. Make a list of priorities and go to it.

Bike
2005 st1300
the 04 is a year newer and $600.00 less than the 03. If the owner has proof of the meticulous maintenance, I think that would more than make up for the 70k difference in mileage, IMHO. If the temps dont get that hot where you are, you may really like the power windscreen when it gets cold... i do. I use mine all the time when I dont want the wind in my face. $4000 is a good price and depending on the farkles, could be a very good price. If it doesnt sell, you can expect that price to be higher come spring... I would seriously consider the 04...$0.02

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have two ST1300s with ABS and I've had three non-ABS ST1300s (still own two). In 290K miles, I think one time the ABS would have been nice, but still was not needed. Hitting the front brake at 75mph and got a chirp out of it...where as a ABS wouldn't locked up!

If it was me, not having the electric windshield would be a deal breaker for me, I use it all the time! I've only worn out one windshield mechanism and broke another. Depending how much the owner used the one will determine it's condition.

For me, no question, I'd be looking at the '04. ;)

Bike
st1300 vfr800
Where are you located in Canuck land ,a fly and ride would be great and I have an 07 abs that we might deal on .

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Bang for your buck would dictate a post '95 1100. Find one with mileage under 160,000 km and service records and you can't go wrong. Amongst a few things you may not know about the 1300 that could save you some regrets - the biggest could be the heat off the engine and steel fuel tank that will roast your legs and private parts on hot days - and you will be riding in hot areas at some point, if you plan to use your sport TOURER for its intended purpose.

Other "problems", IMHO, with the 1300 include digital gauges that you can't read in daylight and, if you are a DIY'er, a more difficult bike to work on than the 1100.

I test rode a 1300 when they first came out and even on the short factory guided tour that I was allowed, the heat issue put me off right away and Honda never solved it. It is non existent on the 1100.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
For the 1100's you 're looking at. The '96 and newer have a 40 amp alternator. The '95 and older have a 28 amp alternator. I think the 1100 runs close to 28 amps when running with everything turned "on". If you will be adding many accessories that might be important. A replacement alternator will run $500-$ 600 USD.

Top Bottom