Which one would you buy?

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Also, that's 90,000 km or around 55,000 miles - so the mileage is even less a factor. FWIW, I'd spring for the ABS model given our weather and the screen option is worth having too.

Pete

OP
OP
You guys have certainly given me lots to chew on. To be honest, after everything I read in 1100 vs. 1300 threads, I figured everyone was going to point to bike #1. It would certainly be the best bang for the buck, but also the older model, which will likely be worth less in the long run.

As far as TOURING goes, at this stage of my life, unfortunately, most of it still gets done in another type of Honda, an Acura MDX. I can click off 1000 miles in it, 15-15.5 hours, not too much trouble. The issue here is, the lovely Mrs. RogerRZ is deathly afraid of rain, and as such, won't get on the back of the bike. In fairness to her, I've also never had a bike that was very passenger friendly. She loves me, but not "get on the back of an RZ500 with a smile on her face" loves me.

This would be my first "grownup" bike, so we'll see. For the first while, it would likely see day trips, a weekend at the most. Probably some commuting, if I don't need my truck on the other end (I teach heavy equipment and mechanized logging operations--hard to bring a motorcycle on a logging job, lol).

OP
OP
Also, that's 90,000 km or around 55,000 miles - so the mileage is even less a factor. FWIW, I'd spring for the ABS model given our weather and the screen option is worth having too.

Pete

The mileages are in miles. The '04 ABS has 155000kms.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
The issue here is, the lovely Mrs. RogerRZ is deathly afraid of rain, and as such, won't get on the back of the bike. In fairness to her, I've also never had a bike that was very passenger friendly.
I'd go with the latest technology and recommend the ABS one. Also show the Mrs a few you tube videos showing the bike tests in the rain with ABS and without ABS. Also, get her some heated gear. My wife falls asleep all the time on the back of the 1300 with her heated gear on. I lock her in with arm rests:)
Snug as a bug in a rug.
Happy wife Happy life.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The mileages are in miles. The '04 ABS has 155000kms.
The mileage is of little consequence as far as reliability and performance of the machine. What matters is how well it has been maintained, the adjustable windshield and the additional safety of ABS. Another thing you have to consider is carbs vs EFI. I have owned both the 1100 (x2), about 200k miles total, and the 1300 ABS, 98k miles. The 1300 is a better machine all around in my experience.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
The 1100s are priced from $2500-$2800CDN

The 1300s are an '04, the 90K ABS one, with farkles and a claimed meticulous maintenance record, priced at $4000, the 19k one is an '03 non ABS with new rubber, priced at $4600.
If it was me I'd choose one of the '01 1100's or the '04 non abs ST for $4,600. Fall back would be the '04 ST with ABS, but it has a fair amount of KM on it, relatively speaking. The 30,000 KM '04 ST is barely broken in.

Bike
2010 ST1300
The mileage is of little consequence as far as reliability and performance of the machine. What matters is how well it has been maintained, the adjustable windshield and the additional safety of ABS. Another thing you have to consider is carbs vs EFI. I have owned both the 1100 (x2), about 200k miles total, and the 1300 ABS, 98k miles. The 1300 is a better machine all around in my experience.
This has been a Very informative discussion. Obviously, you will have to make a list of priorities and a few decisions. Most things in life are a compromise.

John has summed it up - for him and others have summed it up for themselves - now its your turn. Good Luck! oh, and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I have owned both an '01 1100 and an '03 1300. And I have a pillion that rides all the time. The 1100 was a great upgrade from the 84 Shadow 750 we had before, and the 1300 was an improvement on that. Not too much difference between the two for passenger comfort, a little less wind on the 1300 I think. A big difference in power for the driver. Basically you can't come out of a corner in the wrong gear on the 1300.

I still found myself looking for that 6th gear on both, but that's because they are deceptively fast and you really don't need it. Old habits die hard.

The prices you quoted are all below blue book for good condition bikes of these models.

Knowing what I do now I would have just gone for the 1300 to start with, but I'm glad I had a couple of years on the 1100.

Let us know which one you settle on. As long as you are riding, you are ahead of the rest of humanity.

Bike
VStrom 650
Well that question certainly woke everybody out of their festive slumber.
The ABS on either model will go wrong and can be very time consuming and costly to sort out. Especially if you haven't got a degree in sitting in your garage for days on end.
Remember that all of these bikes are old technology, the ABS is around four to five models old and these things were never built to be around 20 years later. If you want up to date tech don't buy either, if you want a simple to maintain reliable summer tourer then a non ABS 1100 is the way to go. Just read the maintenance threads, ABS ABS, CBS etc.
96 and later are the best for the reasons already given and make sure you buy as good as you can afford with low miles and FSH. A bike with the right extras can also save you plenty.
It really is up to you and depends if you want ABS issues down the road. ABS can be great but have you ever tried to lock a front brake with progressive breaking techniques. I don't think you would do it these darn things are so damn heavy......
Upt'North.

OP
OP
Well, you guys have certainly given me much to chew on. We just got another 8" dump of snow here, so riding weather is still a ways off. I'll be foraging through more old (and new) threads, and will eventually decide. That's if I don't just decide to buy a CR500 and supermotard it in the meantime. :) (as I'm typing this, the Lovely Mrs. RogerRZ is frowning--I think that even if she never sits on the back of it, she'd prefer seeing me on a "sensible" motorcycle. One of the ST's would be just the ticket...)

OP
OP
Well, I had the lovely Mrs. RogerRZ at the local shops, and even managed to get her to sit on the back of a brand new FJR (cue sounds of thunder). She wasn't terribly amused, but did concede that at my old-ish age of 42, this type of bike suited me a whole lot better than the FZ-09 that was next to it. That was for her, a very glowing endorsement of the sport-touring genre.

The 19k one, at $4600 is gone, and I haven't enquired on the other one yet, but another wildcard presented itself, (cue more thunder), a 2000, Kawasaki Concours, with 75k. Has top trunk, and good rubber. The gentleman claims to have put on 25k on it in the last two years since he's had it. I know it isn't the polished unit the ST is, but the price is right, at $1400. I know it isn't what you pay, it's what you get, but the $3000 difference with the '03 ST13 represents a lot of days of getting up at 4am and going to work. It also represents a really nice vacation on new bike...

Decisions decisions...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, we'd like you to get an ST.. but the important thing is you get a bike that works for YOU, even if it isn't an ST.. and WE all will help out as much as possible.... even if it isn't an ST... oh.. I said that twice didn't I?

Bike
2006 ST
I have two ST1300s with ABS and I've had three non-ABS ST1300s (still own two). In 290K miles, I think one time the ABS would have been nice, but still was not needed. Hitting the front brake at 75mph and got a chirp out of it...where as a ABS wouldn't locked up!

If it was me, not having the electric windshield would be a deal breaker for me, I use it all the time! I've only worn out one windshield mechanism and broke another. Depending how much the owner used the one will determine it's condition.

For me, no question, I'd be looking at the '04. ;)
I agree with Sabre, no moveable windshield would be a deal breaker for me also. I use the adjustable windscreen more than I would ABS. I have an 06 non abs with 97K miles and I probably would not have rode it 25K without the adjustable windscreen.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
I haven't ridden my ST 1100 much but of what little I did I like the mighty ST 1300 better, it has an adjustable seat which might work for you without buying a shorter shock. I passed on the connie and fjr 1300 because they lack the range of the mighty ST 1300. my niece bought my ST 1100 after taking a few test rides, it's a '99 with just under 45,000. the mighty ST 1300 is an '06 with abs, it had 25151 miles on it when I bought it about a year and a half ago probably has about the same mileage as the ST 1100 now

Bike
2010 ST1300
I agree with Sabre, no moveable windshield would be a deal breaker for me also. I use the adjustable windscreen more than I would ABS. I have an 06 non abs with 97K miles and I probably would not have rode it 25K without the adjustable windscreen.
I agree about the deal breaker. And I sure hope you use the adjustable screen more often than ABS.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Personal choice of course so decide what works for you.
I almost bought a 2005 Connie 1 year ago, it was low miles and a very nice blue color. It was easy to ride and it was priced right at $3000 (US). My biggest issue with it was the constant feeling that i needed to change up when it was already in 5th gear, it badly needed a 6th. Also it was a little "buzzy" at highway speeds as a result. I made an offer but it wasn't accepted and i left. It sold the very next morning for full price, i know this because i did go back the next day, in the afternoon, to give them their asking price but too late.

So for sure, you snooze, you lose but what's for you won't go by you either. 2 months later i picked up a 2005 ST1300 for $3000 at a different dealer, sold as is. I can tell you now that i'm glad it didn't work out with that Connie, nice bike but the ST1300 is light years ahead in the handling and comfort stakes. I think Mrs RogerRZ would be way more comfortable on the ST too.

Buy what you want and what you are comfortable in spending but it may be that you'll quickly "outgrow" the Connie and be looking again. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
So you named your ST 1300 "Mighty"? :)
no I named it The Mighty ST 1300! :)
actually I got that from a friend that use to say the mighty ST 1300 referring to his, funny thing is I've never seen him put " mighty ST 1300 " in a post and don't remember how I got started doing it :)

OP
OP
Buy what you want and what you are comfortable in spending but it may be that you'll quickly "outgrow" the Connie and be looking again. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old thread bump! These are true words. I ended up buying the old Concours, along with an '88 GSXR750 (Old high school sweetheart my father wouldn't let me bring home). I put 400 miles on the Gixxer (she's not as nice as I thought she's be in high school, lol). The Connie, on the other hand was awesome. I commuted on it all Summer, put 9000 miles on it. Even jammed in a SS1000 ride with it. I had to buy a battery for it, along with a set of tires. One oil change, and that wraps it up. Claw hammer reliable, it was.

It was a cheap way of dipping my toe into the sport touring world, and I'm headed there in a bigger way. I figure I can resell the C10 (that I've grown strangely attached to--something satisfying about something cheap that works), move the Gixxer along, and go with something a lot more modern. I would extend my budget to $10k, for the right bike, but it seems that late model ST1300s are hard to find. A lot of '07- '08 and older, but not a whole lot of 2010+. Were buyers going C14 or FJR (both admittedly potential bikes, especially the FJR)?

I think the ST is for me, as the roads are travel are more of a sport TOUR, rather than a SPORT tour situation. Only big advantage I see on the FJR is factory cruise control on the 3rd gen,,,

The CB400F and Z50 aren't going anywhere. :)

Bike
2010 ST1300
You might consider a BMW for sport touring. Unfortunately, maintenance can be expensive if you don't DIY. If you visit ST Wiki - Home page, black menu bar under blue menu bar - somewhere there is a page listing the numbers of ST's registered (probably in the USA, Canuckstan is just another of those 'stan countries and not listed :bow1:) each year. The numbers were declining, and '11's, 12's, etc. were just left over 2010's.

Top Bottom