Fuel float, upper tank.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Hi smart people. Seems my float of the fuel sending unit is bad. It's a small cylinder, tube looking thing. Any one know what car used the same one? I have a 04 ST1300 so I'm thinking a Honda civic 04 or similar. Any thoughts? I wonder if the bottom tank uses the same float? I'd rather not buy the whole sending unit. Thanks folks.

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
How do u know it is bad. I thought mine was bad because it went from 3 bars to flashing. I removed the upper float and measured the ohms. I cannot tell u what it was. It showed as being bad. I cleaned the resistors on the float with denatured alcohol. I then remeasured and it was fine. That was 2-3 years ago. All is fine

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Hi smart people. Seems my float of the fuel sending unit is bad.
What makes you think that's the case? The ST doesn't have a history of float failures; everything we've seen so far have been electrical, where the wiper meets the resistive strip. Tdinova's the only one I know of who's tried to clean it. If that works, it's worth a shot if you don't want to replace the whole part. Be aware that the float arm is delicate and if you bend it while trying to fit a new float, the entire sender isn't going to work properly.

Any one know what car used the same one? I have a 04 ST1300 so I'm thinking a Honda civic 04 or similar.
That would be the 2001 Honda NoSuchAnimal. :) The only parts I know of that the ST shares with Honda's cars are fasteners. The fuel sender is an ST1300-specific part and an entire assembly, so the only place you'd be able to get a replacement float is by scavenging one from another used unit.

I wonder if the bottom tank uses the same float?
There is no float in the lower tank; see this page for an explanation of how the fuel gauge in the 1300 works.

--Mark

Bike
09 ST1300
I would just replace the whole assembly - it shows as under $70.00 at Ron Ayers, seems not worth the time fussing with trying to source the float itself.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I would just replace the whole assembly - it shows as under $70.00 at Ron Ayers, seems not worth the time fussing with trying to source the float itself.
Since when has that stopped anyone on this list? :D

OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
1. When I pull the sending unit out of the bike the float was heavy. At that time I cleaned all the contacts and checked the contacts were connecting throughout the entire up and down motion.
2. When I put fuel in the bike next it shows full and then quickly sank back to three bars and never came back up. I have filled tank again and again, still no "full"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
There is no float in the lower tank; see this page for an explanation of how the fuel gauge in the 1300 works.

--Mark[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I appreciate details like this.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
We don't have certificates we send out when someone's the first to have a problem, but we'd send you one if we did. :)

If you come up with any insight into how your float filled up, please pass it along.

--Mark

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Blrfl said:
We don't have certificates we send out when someone's the first to have a problem, but we'd send you one if we did. :grin:
That made me laugh! Maybe a new badge to go with it?

Blrfl said:
If you come up with any insight into how your float filled up, please pass it along.
Maybe pull the float and drain it then drop it a glass of water or rubbing alcohol and look for bubbles? One of the carb floats in my 305 Scrambler developed a leak in a seam IIRC. I thought I'd solder over it and be done. Don't recall why but I just bought a new one/set.

OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Maybe pull the float and drain it then drop it a glass of water or rubbing alcohol and look for bubbles? One of the carb floats in my 305 Scrambler developed a leak in a seam IIRC. I thought I'd solder over it and be done. Don't recall why but I just bought a new one/set.[/QUOTE]

The metal is so thin on those carb floats I doubt they can be soldered at all.
I'm headed to a mc junk yard this week, see what I can find. If not I may try to find just any float about the same size, it may be hard to find one that I can
get on the rod in same way.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Maybe pull the float and drain it then drop it a glass of water or rubbing alcohol and look for bubbles? One of the carb floats in my 305 Scrambler developed a leak in a seam IIRC. I thought I'd solder over it and be done. Don't recall why but I just bought a new one/set.

The metal is so thin on those carb floats I doubt they can be soldered at all.
I'm headed to a mc junk yard this week, see what I can find. If not I may try to find just any float about the same size, it may be hard to find one that I can
get on the rod in same way.[/QUOTE]

I have not touched my fuel float but some that I've seen (cars and light truck experience) are not hollow - they used a solid closed cell foam float. Maybe you could make one? I would suggest something that does not dissolve in gasohol. (You could make jelly in the tank if it did - not good).

Bike
2004 ST1300
Mine was bad on my 04 when I first got it four years ago with 20k on it. Bought two used ones from late model low mileage wrecks. Still have one as a back up. 30 shipped? Let me know if you are interested.

OP
OP
Dave.David

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
Fuel level gauge, what's up with that.

Any one seen something like this? The fully full light rarely comes on and only after a complete top off , but off in less then a mile. Top Two bars are off at 37m, and 3 bars down by 69 miles.

So I get 200 miles or so showing half a tank then wow, 3 miles of first bar flashing, 22 miles till empty. Wait, half a tank for about 3m. No, 3m of 34m till empty. Back to Half a tank. So I fill up, 6.1 gallons, 1.6 gallons still was in tank. ***???? HELP

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Re: Fuel level gauge, what's up with that.

Sounds like the fuel sender in the upper tank has failed. Not unusual for bikes of that vintage, and not difficult to fix. One person managed to clean up the contact surfaces; most just replace it.

--Mark

Top Bottom