Health scare/stroke awareness

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
As some of you know my wife and I had quite a health scare on Thursday. She woke up not feeling well and thought her blood sugar had dropped, not uncommon for her. I got her some chocolate and peanuts and she felt well enough to go to work. We work together and I rode to work and she drove. 20 minutes after arriving at work she asked that I take her home as she still felt weak and had an occular migraine where there is no pain but her vision has a wavy line in it. Again, not uncommon. She laid down at home and said she might go into work later. At 11:30 I was leaving work to meet Dave and ride to last ride of the year in Stockton AL. I called sissy from the bike as Dave and I were headed west on I10 and got no answer on home phone and cell phone. Slightly worried at this point I was trying to decide if I should call a friend to check on her. About that time my phone rang and it was a friend that walks our dog mid day. She was at our house and said she called 911 as Sissy was very unwell. She was transported to Baptist Hospital here in Jax exhibiting signs of a stroke. She could not lift left arm and left side of face had droop. I got to hospital at same time as ambulance. Baptist has the best neurosurgery center in north Florida. She was rushed into CT scan and they identified a blood clot in her brain. Dr Hanel took her into emergency surgery with my permission and removed the clot completely using a catheter with vacuum inserted in femoral artery and pushed up to brain. A follow up CT scan was performed and she was clear. She then spent two nights in Neuro ICU. Surgeon was amazed that she had very minimal effects from stroke and continued to improve over the next two days. While hooked up to heart monitor the entire time about 10:30 Friday she went into Afib and they were pretty excited to see this as it explained where the clot came from. I was told that Afib was the number one cause of the type of stroke she had. She will be going home today with two new meds, one blood thinner and one to control Afib.

Thanks to all that offered prayers on Facebook. My message for the day is learn about the warning signs of stroke. FAST Face, Arms, Speech and time to call 911.

http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/#mainContent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Oh, Ashley, I'm so glad this was caught in time and that she's ok!! Best wishes for a full recovery and no further problems!!

Patty

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Hey. Really glad you're on top of this and I appreciate the link. Kat has an inoperable tumor and I worry. Best of luck and great job catching this!

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
So glad it turned out OK. Wishing for continued recovery. And a great new year for you both

ToddC

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Wow, scary stuff. My wife suffers from afibs too. Besides the meds there are other effective treatments too. Ablation and implantable defibrillators, that can be really helpful.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Ashley, I am very glad that things turned out as well as they did. It sounds very scary. I wish for complete recovery. Thanks for the stroke awareness.

OP
OP
Ashley

Ashley

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 Africa Twin
STOC #
Wow, scary stuff. My wife suffers from afibs too. Besides the meds there are other effective treatments too. Ablation and implantable defibrillators, that can be really helpful.

Jeff,
We will be meeting with a cardiologist within a week or so to discuss all the options. Also a follow up MRI to determine extent of damage.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here's to hoping it's nothing but good news moving forward.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Ashley, as I said on FB, you and Sissy will remain in my thoughts and prayers as she continues to improve. Just take very good care of her, as I know you will.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
I was so bummed when Dave gave us the news in Alabama. Continued prayers for Sissy for a complete recovery. Keep us updated.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Jeff,
We will be meeting with a cardiologist within a week or so to discuss all the options. Also a follow up MRI to determine extent of damage.

Sending wishes for the best possible result.

Top Bottom