Article [13] ST1300 - Home Made Accessory Wiring Loom v2

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
1586548051607.pngA self contained wiring harness for providing power to all of my accessories. Properly fused, comes on with accessories and/or ignition and can be completely isolated by disconnecting just one connector. Over the top ? Maybe. But it works, it is safe and has never let me down. (Not yet, anyway.)

I hate spaghetti wiring. The thought of having half a dozen connectors hanging off the battery really goes against everything that I learned from a stalled BSA Bantam and a cloud of acrid smoke, back in those youthful days when I knew everything.

This is my wiring harness that puts all of those demons to rest. I don't expect anyone will copy it, but you might be interested in what I have done, how and why.

The pdf document is attached.

Footnote added 20 Oct 2020

When I wired the Hitachi connectors I followed the example of the quartet harness and put the female half in my new wiring loom. The gender of the connectors is determined by the metal terminals rather than the plastic body. - so the female connector body plugs into the male body. it is normal practice not to have the male pins 'live' So wiring the female connector to the loom would seem to be the right thing to do. However, it does leave the connector 'flopping about'.

Just to be clear, the male connector has the protruding plastic latch.

But, I wish I had done it the other way round. Ie wire the male half into the harness. The female connector plastic body contains the female 'socket' terminals, but it plugs into the body of the male connector with its spade terminals. The advantage of attaching the male connector to the new loom is that part of the body can be taped to the outside of the loom. This would hold both parts of the connection firmly in place.

Most connections would have both halves connected all of the time, but any unused spare connectors could be blanked off with an empty female body, to prevent the remote risk of a live male pin bridging to earth.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
A good while back I had a conversation with MaxPete following on from my 'Brakes - Avoiding the Pitfalls' article. I happened to mention that I had a fair few articles that I had written up for my own reference and for our club magazine. He reckoned that they ought to go onto the forums - something that I had thought about before, but never quite got round to it.

So - new year's resolution to slowly check through them all and get them posted.

Here is one that I described in general terms in a post before, but Technotrucker PM'd me and asked for more information, so I wrote this document for him.

Basically it is a record of my solution for adding in wiring for 2 heated jackets, a heated seat, and various accessories at front and back - all carefully planned, fused and relayed to come on with the ignition or to come on with accessories. It might be useful for anyone thinking of doing something similar - or even to see how I worked everything out.

Resources are what I have found in the UK, but everything else is still relevant.

View attachment 179321

The document is a pdf file, which is available from the above link.
Do you still have this PDF? I'd like to do a acc to heated seat and lights up front.

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
It's in the bottom of the first post, and in your quoted reply :) ! I'll make it a bit clearer - my browser shows it in underlined blue, but I forgot that is not necessarily how it appears on everyone's browser. If you need anything clarifying, just post or PM me. Always happy to help.
Thank you for your help. Always good people on this site

Top Bottom