Poor fuel mileage

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm confused now. Some say one should always be at three bars. You are saying engine running cold (shifting between 2 and three bars is ok). If the temps are at 70, I am at three bars, no switching back and forth between 2 and three. If the temps are around 55-60, I do see 2 bars and then back to three. What is the consensus now? I have however as I said experienced a drop in mpg from 41 to about 39 at highway speeds (80 mph indicated).
3 bars after a few miles of warm up. No 2-3 dance ever even down to 30s F. 42-44 mpg average for over 100,000 miles, exactly 43.2 mpg over the last 14,845 miles.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
etalors said:
What is the consensus now?
I've never ridden below 39?F (that I know of) though it felt colder than that. High heat or low cold it's always been a steady three bars. Never any fluctuation. I usually start out at one bar two bars in less than a mile and three bars in maybe two miles. Never any fluctuation.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What they ^ said... it should not move off 3 bars once warmed up. It's possible it's not fully warmed up and on 3 bars then you take off and it dips to 2 for a very short time but if fully warmed up it should always be at 3. If you go to 4 then it's possible you have a fan issue, maybe one isn't working... but, that's very rare, it's typically the 1,2,3 bar dance that signifies a sticking t-stat.

Now, some have stuck and then will unstick and begin working again but since you do need to flush your coolant at 3-years I think? Might as well replace the t-stat then if you're having that dance, it's not difficult at all.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
You are saying engine running cold (shifting between 2 and three bars is ok).
Didn't say that. I said that the coolant is doing what it's supposed to do, which is absorbing heat from the engine, carrying it to the radiator to be dumped into the cooler outside air. Replacing it isn't going to make the engine run warmer.

A cold-running engine is being cooled too much, and in the case of most STs, that means the thermostat isn't stopping the flow of coolant when the temperature falls far enough below ideal.

--Mark

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
It should reach 3 bars within a few miles no matter what the ambient temperature. Colder ambient means a bit longer wait. This is a fact. There IS coolant circulating instantly from start. It goes IN the starboard side top of the radiator, and out the starboard side bottom, so not running across the fins, but it will still cool a wee bit with very cold air temps. Enough to make 3 bars take a bit longer to achieve. I ride with temps into the 20's.
When the thermostat opens it dumps hot water in the top of the port side radiator, across the cooling fins and back into the motor from bottom starboard side.
All you REALLY have to know is, if it ever goes from 3 bars to 2 bars, you should fix it. If it take a long time to get to 3 bars, you should fix it.
Or don't. My bike doesn't seem to give a crap how many bars are showing. Runs great all the time. Just fuel economy suffers.
This engine really wants to run at a designed temperature. If the temp is too low it, runs rich until it is up to temp. It's like a punishment for ignoring things. Frankly I think it's far too sensitive and with there was a computer update to fix it.

Bike
04 ST1300
So I guess the consensus is that the tstat needs replaced. Bike has 30K. Will attempt that in end of April, if anyone close by wants to lend a hand don't be shy. LOL

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The coolant temp gauge is delineated by bars that represent a range of values. The third bar for all we know represents perhaps 165 to 235 degrees which is good enough for what is Honda's first generation computerized fuel injection system of the late 1990's. If someone had access to Honda's diagnostic software it would be interesting to know what the exact coolant temp is for third bar, thermostat opening, fan cycle, etc.

In my 99 Miata for less than $20 I can access multiple data groups realtime with a wireless OBD reader and an app on my phone. I'd like to do this with my Honda motorcycles but the apps and readers are not there yet.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
So I guess the consensus is that the tstat needs replaced. Bike has 30K. Will attempt that in end of April, if anyone close by wants to lend a hand don't be shy. LOL
See that you put the little floating rivet (bleed hole) at 12:00. There are cutouts in the block side of the thermostat housing that coincide with tabs on the thermostat body. I would (now) remove the hose from the thermostat cover before reinstalling the cover. This helps ensure all is lined up properly. I have learned a GREAT DEAL about this job lately.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
If someone had access to Honda's diagnostic software it would be interesting to know what the exact coolant temp is for third bar, thermostat opening, fan cycle, etc.
The temperature gauge third bar lights up when the coolant at the temperature sensor hits 150 deg F. Two bars is somewhere between 136 and 150 deg F. That is a very cold temperature for a gasoline engine to be running at consistently. It explains why fuel consumption increases as the thermostat performance decreases.

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
The temperature gauge third bar lights up when the coolant at the temperature sensor hits 150 deg F. Two bars is somewhere between 136 and 150 deg F. That is a very cold temperature for a gasoline engine to be running at consistently. It explains why fuel consumption increases as the thermostat performance decreases.
Well that's interesting.
My testing shows the fans turning on at 220 and off at 200(10 seconds later. Bloody fast!). Measured at the radiator tank with a cheap chinese laser thermometer which is remarkably accurate.
So..if the third bar lights up at 150, which is NOT up to running temperature in my mind, that means that 3rd bar is good for between 150 and 220 PLUS some more. My guess would be operating temp should be between 185 and 220. This would give you a happy computer and not trigger a rich mixture.
So if all this mumbo jumbo is anywhere near correct, this explains why we can show 3 bars and still be running rich.
I prefer temperature gauges by a lot. And if I could hook up my OBD reader I could see what was going on exactly. But I can't

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
that means that 3rd bar is good for between 150 and 220 PLUS some more.
The fourth bar lights up at about 230 deg. F. That gives the third bar a range of bout 80 deg. F. Most car thermostats operate in the 195 deg. F range. I have yet to have the need to replace a motorcycle thermostat so I don't know what they are rated at but I can't see that they would have a very different temperature rating than a car engine. Do they stamp the temperature rating on the ST1300 thermostat? If so what is it?

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
My guess would be operating temp should be between 185 and 220.
That's a pretty reasonable guess. The thermostat is supposed to start opening between 176 and 183, so the target temperature is probably not much higher, maybe 185-190. If the coolant is flowing and there's air crossing the radiator, it isn't going to climb much higher than that. Much below that and the ECM will run the engine rich to raise the temperature. This for performance, emissions and maintaining the right clearances between the engine parts.

220 is a common upper end for engine operating temperatures, which makes that believable as the threshold for turning the fans on. The radiator on this bike is efficient enough that I'd be very surprised if the fans turned on at all while moving in any temperature where humans would be be inclined to ride.

--Mark

OP
OP
JimGregory
Bike
07 ST1300
Yes the fans do turn on at 220. My fans only turn on while stopped that I know about. And the fact that the temp goes down 20 degrees in 10 seconds says yes it's a very efficient cooling system.
The thermostats are marked 182 I think. I can check but it's in the neighborhood.
Andrew how do you know what temps at what bars etc?
So it hits 3 bars before the thermostat even opens. 3 Bars is no guarantee it's at operating temperature. Bars..numbers would be nice. Oh well hopefully I am done with all this for a while.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
In my 99 Miata for less than $20 I can access multiple data groups realtime with a wireless OBD reader and an app on my phone. I'd like to do this with my Honda motorcycles but the apps and readers are not there yet.
I've done this on my 2016 FJR1300ES. I purchased an adapter cable which converts the 4 pin Yamaha cable under the seat to an OBDII plug. The ECU in the 2016 ad 2017 FJRs is OBDII compliant. I've installed the cable and a WiFi OBDII reader under my seat. I can monitor the temp via my iPhone. I can also display the engine temp in degrees on the stock dash.

IMG_20160927_171501.jpg

You can read more about it here: http://koczarski.com/2016-yamaha-fjr1300es/dynojet-obdii-interface-cable

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Ha 49.5 average on the parkway! It's very hilly around here.
The third thermostat was the charm.
Well I replaced my thermostat this winter and thought all was well. Last week my mileage started going down again, and today I got the 3 bar dance on the way home. Pulled in the garage and grabbed my infrared temperture sensor and measured 166 at the upper left corner of the radiator. Guess I'll be putting in a third thermostat as well.

Byron

STOC #
Well I replaced my thermostat this winter and thought all was well. Last week my mileage started going down again, and today I got the 3 bar dance on the way home. Pulled in the garage and grabbed my infrared temperture sensor and measured 166 at the upper left corner of the radiator. Guess I'll be putting in a third thermostat as well.
Before you do another swap I would double check the fluid level in the radiator and overflow. Low coolant level could cause what you are describing.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I decided the other day to take some temperature readings with my infrared temperature reader while the bike was warming up. I took the readings from the left side radiator end cap about where the return hose connects. This is what I found. 1st bar on at 115, 2nd bar on at 130, third bar on at 150. Fans kicked on at 215. I know this is not the best way to do this, but I post here for reference and education.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I know this is not the best way to do this, but I post here for reference and education.
That's as good a method as any, and it's easy for others to repeat.

Measuring at the radiator gives you a good check on whether or not the thermostat is stuck open because the temperature there will rise differently.

--Mark

Top Bottom