Fuel pump - replace the internal pump, or stay external?

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Howdy,

Simple question....maybe....

Started having the dreaded fuel pump failure symptoms a year or so ago, so I followed all the threads here and ordered and installed an external Facet pump as a backup... originally... then started using it full time. Still drawing fuel through the original pump.

I have taken a couple of long rides (for me - 400ish mile days) and several shorter ones, and have had no issues.

So, for some reason, my brain is telling I should probably go ahead and replace the internal pump, and have the external as a backup.

Is that something I really need to do, or am I trying to find problems where none exist?

Thanks

Odie1

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I would replace the internal pump with a low pressure automotive fuel pump. I did that in my ST1100.

But if I had to do it again, I might consider an external fuel pump for a Kawasaki ZG1200. It's a low pressure pump ( the ZG1200 has carbs, not FI ) and I beleive it has a built in regulator - like this one : Link .

ZG1200 Fuel Pump :

ZG1200 Fuel Pump.jpg

Here is the pic of my setup :

Copy of New Pump Installed.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Odie1

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST1100
STOC #
Thanks folks,

Reading the past forums, it seems a lot of people used the Airtex E8371 pump, but read where some folks lost gas mileage and others "burned them up" ?

Jim, is that what you used, or a different model/brand?

I was really wondering if anyone had been using one of the Facet pumps as a primary - "long term".... and if I could expect any issues down the road (so to speak!)...

UP - try as I may - I can't get all the snot out..... but I love trying and will be again once the temps get out of the 20s and low 30s here in OK.

Odie1

Bike
R1200rt
I would replace the internal pump with a low pressure automotive fuel pump. I did that in my ST1100.

But if I had to do it again, I might consider an external fuel pump for a Kawasaki ZG1200. It's a low pressure pump ( the ZG1200 has carbs, not FI ) and I beleive it has a built in regulator - like this one : Link .

ZG1200 Fuel Pump :

ZG1200 Fuel Pump.jpg

Here is the pic of my setup :

Copy of New Pump Installed.jpg
looks like a 3 or 4 wire pump, what's all the wires for? checked your link and it fits fi motors as well. what is the fuel pressure installed??

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Good question about the four wires - I need to look at the Voyager wiring diagram.

As far as the regulated fuel pressure is concerned, the pressure should be just fine since the ZG1200 has four Keihn carbs just like the ST1100.

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks folks,

Reading the past forums, it seems a lot of people used the Airtex E8371 pump, but read where some folks lost gas mileage and others "burned them up" ?

Jim, is that what you used, or a different model/brand?

Odie1
I installed an Airtex pump along with a pre-filter, which looks very similar to the items in Jim's photo, although I mounted my pump in the same clamp that holds the stock pump. I can't say whether it affected mileage as I bought my bike as a non-runner with a dead pump and clogged fuel system. Supposedly the Airtex has a slightly higher pressure and a lot higher flow than stock, but given the fuel use is dictated by the jets and float height I can't see that the pump would affect mileage unless the pressure was enough to overcome the float valve seal.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
As far as the 4 wires on the ZG1200 fuel pump , I downloaded the ZG1200 Service Manual. It says, "The fuel pump runs when the starter button is pressed OR the engine is running".

And in the wiring diagram for the fuel pump, the pump is wired as follows : BK/YEL wire is connected to the start switch. BK wire is connected to the engine start/stop switch ( +12 volts ). BL wire is connected to a (-) coil primary. GRN wire is connected to ground.

I don't see all those particular colored wires on the ZG1200 pump above, but that's the general idea. My best guess is that there must be a circuit inside the pump that probably energizes a relay inside the pump from the pulsing waveform at the (-) coil terminal when the engine is running.

I like the ZG1200 pump. $33 is a good price and should be reliable and with the correct output flow & pressure. I think it's a better choice than an external Facet pump. If my auto pump fails, I will install a ZG1200 pump, if I can find room for it.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Which model listed has FI ??
the link you listed for the kaw pump has fi engines listed also. It also has 4 wires?? The in tank pump you show works just fine. I used the original pressure regulator with mine and therefore was able to use the large vent hose. I think some others had problems because the used fuel hose that was not made to be submersed and the hose split. 3 years now with no problems.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
the link you listed for the kaw pump has fi engines listed also. It also has 4 wires?? The in tank pump you show works just fine. I used the original pressure regulator with mine and therefore was able to use the large vent hose. I think some others had problems because the used fuel hose that was not made to be submersed and the hose split. 3 years now with no problems.
Please give the model that has FI - I didn't see one. Maybe I 'm missing something. What model has FI that is listed ?

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
That FI option is in error at the above link. This pump cannot be used on a model with FI , it's a low pressure pump used with the carb version.

I just checked the pump for a 2001 Vulcan 1500 with FI at Partzilla. The FI pump is located inside the gas tank and is obviously not the pump shown at the LINK.

Top Bottom