Need info on Shipping Bike

Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
I really don't want to ship but time is one factor and the other is my wife does not want to ride from NH to CA in 3 days.
I need to ship atleast one bike and possibly two bikes from New Hampshire to San Francisco, Does anyone have actually experience or know someone that shipped a bike? How was the experience?
Any help or input would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I want to say we used to use U-ship. We'd take the bikes to the airport at charlotte, roll them into a steel crate, strap them down, and they did the rest. Customer picked up at the destination and reversed the process.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I ride one of them there for you. Just need return train fare. I could probably talk my good friend into riding the other... we're both semi retired ;)

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
... and the other is my wife does not want to ride from NH to CA in 3 days.
WOW!!! That's about 1000 miles a day for 3 days. Don't blame her. Check with the Iron Butt group for an award.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I ride one of them there for you. Just need return train fare. I could probably talk my good friend into riding the other... we're both semi retired ;)
Perhaps you should have asked what the bikes were, first?
:07biker:

OP
OP
DaveM
Bike
2021 BMW 1250GS
STOC #
@DaveM how did this work out for you? I will need to ship mine this Summer.

TIA.
We had the opportunity to take a BMW M4 across country so we opted for that. So we never shipped a bike. Even though we took a car, this car was as fast as a bike and was alot of fun!!!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I have used Federal Motorcycle Transport before. If you are an AMA member, you receive a discount.
http://www.funtransport.com/
+1 on Federal. I used them to ship my wing from PA to CA. They picked it up at the sellers house and dropped it off at mine. You can save some money if you take the bikes(s) to the main shipping depot in your area. Also if you pick them up at the shipping depot at the other end.

Anybody ever shipped one across the big pond. I get long holidays and wouldn’t mind riding my own bike in the states.

STOC #
I used Forward Air a long time ago. Perfect experience and they were cheaper than the competition way back when.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Anybody ever shipped one across the big pond.
I've shipped mine back and forth from Canada to Europe so often the thing now has Frequent Flyer status with Air Canada. In fact, I eventually got fed up with shipping it and now have two STs - one in Europe and one in Canada.

Air Canada runs a sale every summer on motorcycle shipments - costs about $1,000 CDN ($750 US, £600) to ship a bike one way, if you travel as a passenger on the same flight. The process is pretty simple, just make sure the moto is extremely clean (no bugs anywhere, no dirt under the fenders, this to keep the agricultural inspectors happy), show up at the airport cargo shed with 1/4 of a tank of gas or less, fill out a few forms, and that's about it.

The bike is put into a ULD (Uniform Load Device) container and then placed in the lower deck of a wide-body aircraft (A330, B747 through 787 inclusive, etc.)

It's considerably less expensive to ship in and out of Paris or Frankfurt than to ship in and out of London Thiefrow airport, this because of the charges that the UK government and the Thiefrow airport operator impose. It's fractionally less expensive to ship out of Montreal than out of Toronto, simply because Montreal is closer to Europe, but the price difference between the two cities is not significant.

Moto in Container
Moto in ULD.jpg

Top Bottom