Rear Wheel Bearing Question (NOT Flange Bearings)

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Just had all 4 rear bearings, seals and 0-rings replaced by my Honda Dealer. I discovered like so many others that my flange bearings were toast during a tire change. The new flange side bearing spin easily when I place my finger in the center however this is NOT true for the Disc Brake side bearing. It takes considerable effort to spin it and I'm wondering if this is normal? It's really snug an now I'm thinking I need to bring the wheel back to them. When I place the axle in the bearing I can spin it easier and the bearing is smoth and quiet ...again it's just snug. Any ideaa??? Normal ?

Last edited:
Bike
2005 st1300
On the left (disc) side, the bearing is beneath a collar that rides in a dust seal. If you try to turn the collar, it will be stiff because of the seal. If you lift the collar out, the bearing is inside. Could this be the issue.
Capture.JPG

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Turns out the problems was a simple fix. Apparently when the dealer installed the bearings the center spacer tube was slightly skewed causing that outer bearing to feel snug. All that was required to fix it; I'm embarrassed to say was push the axle thru to align everything. Once that was done I could easily turn the bearing with my finger.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Turns out the problems was a simple fix. Apparently when the dealer installed the bearings the center spacer tube was slightly skewed causing that outer bearing to feel snug. All that was required to fix it; I'm embarrassed to say was push the axle thru to align everything. Once that was done I could easily turn the bearing with my finger.
Good to hear, I was going to suggest installing it then taking it back off to check. You should be good for quite a while now, just always check the flange bearings as part of your normal tire change routine.

Bike
2007 st 1300
if you don't mind if I ask, what did it run you to replace those 4 bearings? I'm thinking of having mine done since I just bought it used and I have no idea if they have been checked. mine has 30,000 miles and I bet it needs to be looked at.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
if you don't mind if I ask, what did it run you to replace those 4 bearings? I'm thinking of having mine done since I just bought it used and I have no idea if they have been checked. mine has 30,000 miles and I bet it needs to be looked at.
Rear wheel bearings usually last a very long time in ST1100s and ST1300s.
Just for reference, my original rear wheel bearings were fine at my last tire change - 95k miles. The original flange bearings went out at about 30k miles, and the front wheel bearings were rough, and changed, at 50k miles.

OP
OP
FL-STrider

FL-STrider

Roughing it smoothly
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
No symtons on the wheel bearings. I just had them replace everything since they were doing my flange bearings. I'm preparing for a very long trip next year and it was more about just knowing everything was new. One less possible issue.
Symptoms

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hmmm

That spacer on the ST1300 is supposed to be in contact with both inner races of both bearings. If it could be skewed, then when the spacer is straightened there will be a small gap.

This can present a problem when the axle is torqued up - because tightening pulls everything together as the nut is tightened. If there was a gap, this will draw the inner races in to close the gap - but that will put a lateral load onto the outer race as they are press fitted into the hub. If the wheel turns Ok when the axle is torqued up, then you'll be OK. If it feels stiff to turn, then the bearing could probably do with being seated properly.

Top Bottom