ABS gen II Gurus advice sought

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I have a 1997 US model with Gen II ABS and traction control. The system is displaying a Trouble Code 7 Faulty power circuit. I'm in the midst of cleaning all the connections and have reset the code. The dilemma now is that I can't ride the bike, for it to do the "self diagnosis" Too much snow outside. ( The battery is 2 years old on a Honda trickle charger and I have 13.5 volts at the battery) But I can do some of the checks listed in Clymer's repair' namely on pg 554.
Then again maybe not. The book is suggesting that I remove the 16pin connector from the ECU and measure the voltage between the green/black and red/brown wires. There is also mention of removing a white connector and black connector. None of these connectors have a red with brown tracer or Green with black tracer. I do see black with green trace but not the other way around. Curious to know if anyone has performed this test and have these coloured wires. If I do get the required voltage 11-18 volts Clymers indicates the ECU is faulty.
The other thing that is happening is that the ABS indicator light (#1) flashes at a constant rate when the ignition is left on.

Do I just have to sit tight and wait till spring so I can take the bike out and let it do it's self diagnosis and trouble shoot from there?
Thanks for your time and patience
Cheers
Robert

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I had a couple of cases where after clearing the code, the problem never recurred. It's always my first repair attempt. If the code comes back later, then I will dig into it. For a code 7 (8 for the gen 1 ABS bikes) fully inspect all the battery, ground and alternator connections as well as the battery & alternator health. An ABS power code error was often the first indication of alternator failure on the old 28A stator equipped ABS STs and had nothing to do with the ABS system itself.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Thanks gentlemen. This is my bad as I was looking at the wrong ECU!!! The ABS unit is on the left side. My issue now is how the heck do you remove those multi pin connectors from the ECU? It doesn't appear to be straight forward.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I found a bad ground. I remember folk telling me about a ground by the lift handle, I didn't realize it was behind the lift handle. I noticed that the handle was loose and missing a bolt. I tried to replace the bolt but there was a piece of brass in the way...low and behold it was a ground wire!!! Fixed that right proper and no flashing ABS light. Hopefully this fixes a green wire gremlin.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Very nice! From another ST1100 ABSII owner, thanks for posting your find.

Top Bottom