Easy-er fuel cap access?

Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
Did a quick search..no cigar. Is there a Farkle out there to make the fuel door open with a button type lock, or just a button? They have something like this for the Harley's to where you change the lock out with a button arrangement. Personally I don't care much for having to lock and unlock the fuel door all the time, just to put gas in it. That extra bit of time could be riding time :D!

Frank

STOC #
Haven't even thought about this yet, but over on the F6B forum, many of the Gold Wing owners (myself now included) have an extra key made, cut the top of the key off, and insert/glue it into a matching "Radio Knob" and then use this key on the Fuel Door, Center Console, and Saddlebag locks. The resulting key is long enough to operate those locks with ease, but is not long enough to reach the depth required to actually operate the Ignition... therefore will not start the bike.

I've already made one for my F6B and it works brilliantly:

Radio Knob Key.jpg

Just thinkin' out loud here... but I don't know why a similar approach wouldn't work for our ST's.

Jim

[Link to their thread with video]

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Many have found in making a 'short key' set the key that operates the left fairing pocket also works in the gas cap. You could leave a key in the gas cap for most of the time during a ride and remove it at the end of the day.

Others have replaced the cap with a non-locking variety but all those I've seen are a separate piece that you remove on fill-up. That has it's merits— one or both of the locking dogs failed on my cap and trapped the key. The cheap factory key failed (I broke it). Eventually the piece was removed but the cap was still locked and the dealer replace it (and all the locks) under warranty. But I still use the factory cap.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't think that will work for the ST1100 (OP's bike) as the ST1100 key is already short. I'd look in the cabinet hardware section of Lowe's Or Home Depot Or Ace and see if they have anything close to that for a cabinet latch that might be modified. Or possibly for a truck tool box latch as some of them have push button latches.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Uncle Phil said:
I don't think that will work for the ST1100 (OP's bike) as the ST1100 key is already short.
It would lack the ST1300's 'anti-theft' feature but if that's the only consideration you'd just remove it when away for an extended period of time. It would still be an improvement for fueling-only stops. Another option would be to get a new 1100 gas cap or rekey the gas cap so the ignition and gas cap use different keys. And I'd still remove it in extended absences.

I think that would be much more easily done than trying to reinvent the cap. Admittedly I'm not that creative or imaginative in coming up with an alternative more in line with the OP's H-D observation.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Another option would be to get a new 1100 gas cap or rekey the gas cap so the ignition and gas cap use different keys.
The ST1100 gas cap does not have a lock as does the 1300. There is a keyed locking lid that opens to gain access to the cap which is a twist off- same set-up as a locking fuel filler door on a car. The OP is looking for a way to have this lid operate normally- unlatch and latch so that it stays closed- without having to use a key.

STOC #
That's why I think a "key knob" would be a good solution. I'll look closer at mine when I get home today.

I'm also a little bit spoiled here because I have the Police bike, and it doesn't require the key to get into the saddlebags every time either.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The ST1100 gas cap does not have a lock as does the 1300. There is a keyed locking lid that opens to gain access to the cap which is a twist off- same set-up as a locking fuel filler door on a car. The OP is looking for a way to have this lid operate normally- unlatch and latch so that it stays closed- without having to use a key.
Ah this is akin to my old GL1000. Without using the short-key mod the only thing that comes to my mind is replacing the lock with some kind of pull or knob and strategically mounting a magnet inside. Pull open/drop close. A cooler mod would be to use a magnet with a stereo cabinet door latch. Push down open/push down latch. This might take a lot more work to function while preserving the fit of the lid to the tank.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That's why I think a "key knob" would be a good solution. I'll look closer at mine when I get home today.
I concur. And a locksmith might be able to defeat the lock so that a key blank turned into a key knob could operate the door without fear of bike theft.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I concur. And a locksmith might be able to defeat the lock so that a key blank turned into a key knob could operate the door without fear of bike theft.
It shouldn't take a locksmith. If you do any service on your bike yourself, then the lock is child's play. Take the lock off the bike, take it apart, and either glue the pins/sliders in the unlocked position or remove them. Reassemble the lock on the bike and get a key blank (uncut) and make the knob w/ the key blank sticking out of it.

Many many years ago, my roommate in college had a Suzuki X6(?). He parked it outside the apartment building - we were next door to a bar. One morning the bike started right up, and died. He noticed that the gas tank seemed to be more full than the night before. Yup - patrons of the bar had added something to his tank - and it was no Tiger.....

STOC #
It shouldn't take a locksmith. If you do any service on your bike yourself, then the lock is child's play. Take the lock off the bike, take it apart, and either glue the pins/sliders in the unlocked position or remove them. Reassemble the lock on the bike and get a key blank (uncut) and make the knob w/ the key blank sticking out of it.
Experience tells me don't "glue" anything... just remove all the pins from the tumbler, that will allow any key (read: a blank) to turn the lock.
That should work. Did this once with an old Dodge Rampage that I broke the key off in the cylinder. Never needed a key again, but couldn't lock the car either. Still... got to work on time (long story).

Just my $.02.

Jim

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
You could remove the lock. When you wanted to open the door just stick your finger in the hole and pull the door open.

The problem I have with a key left in the key hole is that, knowing my luck, I would break the key off with the door locked.

Working from memory here, doesn't the hole in the door have flats on 2 sides? Turn the lock around. Glue a pull tab of cloth onto the inside of the door. It can be removed and back to stock if you want.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Experience tells me don't "glue" anything... just remove all the pins from the tumbler, that will allow any key (read: a blank) to turn the lock.
That should work. Did this once with an old Dodge Rampage that I broke the key off in the cylinder. Never needed a key again, but couldn't lock the car either. Still... got to work on time (long story).

Just my $.02.

Jim
Right you are. Dumb of me to have suggested gluing the pins. Sooner or later, one would break free of the glue and lock the door shut, and by then you would not have a key. And we all know this would have happened when you ran out of gas 147 miles from the nearest civilization and a good samaritan had stopped (without tools) to offer you a few gallons of gas.
[h=2][/h]

OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
Yea, that second and third option (couldn't open the first link) is what I was thinking too. The locking feature I don't care about too much. Never use it on my Buell, and the superglide doesn't have ANY sort of locking cap. You just go over and open it up. I've got 150,000ish miles between the two, and never had a problem to warrant a lock. Of course they are both garaged, and generally don't get left out too much (out of sight) except on trips. That second option is really tugging at me though, lol. Gotta go downstairs and take a look...it's nice that they posted all the measurements on the ad too.

Frank

Top Bottom