Easy-er fuel cap access?

OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
My wife has been complaining about the quality of safety pins (well, at least the larger sizes) for a couple of years now. The older ones could not be easily bent with your fingers, and the new, cheap ones almost wilt before your very eyes. So, for others trying this, unclip the safety pin, and try to bend the wire (of the sharp end that clips into the head) by hand. The new ones feel like limp spaghetti - the old ones are pretty robust. Obviously, old pins will last longer when used as a spring.
Well, these safety pins seem to bend easily, but are plenty springy...of course the bag of them have been riding in my tool box since probably 2003, LOL!

Uncle Phil,
You've got mail, sir.

Frank

OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
As I told Uncle Phil...it's not pretty, more of a proof of concept and experiment. I'll run it for a while, then redo it and make it permanent.

Frank

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Frank - Well, I just got the three of mine done. I made my final bracket of aluminum stock that I have handy and used two 5/16" springs I got from Lowes. It took a bit of tinkering to get the bends where they worked consistently. The springs were 5/16"x1-1/2"X.020 compression springs. I still had to cut about a 1/3 off of them. The aluminum latch was 2"X2 1/4" before the bends. I had to do 3 of them so I got it down pretty quickly. ;-) My quality test was to be able to open the lid 10 times in a row without an issue before I remounted the shelter on the bikes. I have thought that you could make 'ring' with a slight 'hook' that stuck up and install it under the button on the top side. Then you wouldn't need any springs.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
Heck yea, man! Looks good! Definitely more than one way to skin a cat, that's fo sho....I had the coil spring thought too, just wasn't sure how bad it would tear up the lid after a while. Pondering it while typing this, I guess it would probably take a century to dig all the way through the lid...........:eek::

Frank

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Heck yea, man! Looks good! Definitely more than one way to skin a cat, that's fo sho....I had the coil spring thought too, just wasn't sure how bad it would tear up the lid after a while. Pondering it while typing this, I guess it would probably take a century to dig all the way through the lid...........:eek::

Frank
Frank - They just have to be compression springs not 'regular' springs. I put the 'finished' end (where they double loop them smooth) against the cap. Since there is not a lot of pressure, I think they'll be fine. That's the trick - finding the right spring and adjusting the length so that they have just the right amount of push but doesn't hold the cap 'out' against the latch.

OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
You know, the only thing I'm worried about on yours, is catching your fingers on the fuel cap when you go to unscrew it....looks like it could make you leak out if not careful.....

Frank

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Frank - That's the reason I 'rounded' all the corners on the latch (you have to look close to see it). Did a fill up this morning on one of mine and it was nice - no fussing with removing the ignition key to unlock the lid. I filled up while sitting on the bike which is what I usually do. I do have to be careful if the fuel nozzle has one of those big round overflow 'skirts' on it. You could probably put the springs further back and shorten the extensions. I'm still thinking about cutting a 'ring with a tab' to go under the push button so you wouldn't need springs. You'd just push with your thumb and lift with one finger.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
A strip of metal tape or thin plastic might help the wear if it becomes an issue.

Top Bottom