Incomplete Oil Change

Bike
R1200rt
Al,

the extra hole for draining the clutch is only opened when the drain plug is removed. Under normal operation the silicone gasket on the drain plug blocks the additional hole so the oil remains in the clutch compartment.

I have tested the solution successfully during the 2016 season with no adverse effects on the clutch.

Regards Eberhard
my bad, I did not understand,, however the metal particles you pictured would not fit through that hole and anything that size would block the hole. For the work needed to do that I feel there is no benefit. ST engines have a pretty good record considering the beating they occasionally or sometime often get. Early VF engines had a camshaft/oiling problem. There was a modification where there was a " provable improvement". Yes it drains more oil but to what advantage??

STOC #
"the extra hole for draining the clutch is only opened when the drain plug is removed. Under normal operation the silicone gasket on the drain plug blocks the additional hole so the oil remains in the clutch compartment."

That addresses my concerns about clutch plate material that normally cruds up the bottom of the sump. By keeping that compartment separate from the main sump, you are preventing circulation of that "mud"
Was there any black sludge in the nooks and crannies in the bottom of the main sump?

Dave.David

Rider
Bike
05,ST1300-04VTX1800R
STOC #
More importantly is not knowing if previous owner changed oil often. To many wait and find its nearly 10k miles, + or -. I have to assume, ( I don't know but I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong ) that only half or less of the clutch is under oil when sitting. That means half the clutch is out and dry. If dry did cause a problem we'd know by now. But again, only drains when plug is pulled.
So can this be done for the ST1300? Especially if we don't know oil change past. Great job original poster.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mcreviver said:
you are preventing circulation of that "mud"
If circulating with the rest of the oil wouldn't it end up in the oil filter?

True that this mod probably won't make a measurable difference in the life of the engine and even if it did it would take an even longer time to realize the benefit (giving the already studliness of the motor).

But while apparently unnecessary I see no downside. I'm not one to champion 99.99999% of oil replacement but 97% seems like a reasonable goal. And if during a change of 100% of oil somebody said 'Hey let me put 18% of this used oil in your bike—it's good oil—same brand as yours just with 3-4-5K miles on it' we'd probably offer a very polite 'No thank you'.

Al st1100 said:
anything that size would block the hole.
Given oil's ability to seep through visually imperceptible gaps in gaskets I doubt chips of metal like those shown would constitute any blockage problem. Once removed I'd have no doubts whatsoever.

It's an interesting mod and one I wouldn't do because I'm somewhat lazy. Back in the carb-modding days of my 750-4 I'd be all over this. Props to the OP.

STOC #
Quote Originally Posted by Mcreviver
"you are preventing circulation of that "mud"
If circulating with the rest of the oil wouldn't it end up in the oil filter?"

I have torn apart a fair number of Honda motors as a dealership mechanic and as a privateer. The models with cam chain guides and plenty of miles/wear on them, show a black mud in the bottom end. I assume it is a mixture of the particles of rubber that come off the guides mixed with clutch friction material. I have not found that material in oil filters. It is apparently heavy enough to stay below the oil pump intake screen. That is why I wondered if this substance shows up in ST engines, which I have not torn apart yet, and hope never to have to. Since we don't have cam chain rubber guides I would expect fairly clean bottom ends.

Top Bottom