She puked again (NT700)

Bike
Tiger 800
Last year I had a fuel leak from my NT700 in mid winter when the bike was stored. There was a puddle of about 3 gallons of gas under the NT one cold morning. It had been stored with a full tank for 2 months without any leaking. I thought the leak was coming from the gasket between the tank and fuel pump. I replaced the rubber gasket and carefully torqued all the screws. And the leak stopped. Until now.

I returned home from a trip and over the cold weekend the leak came back. So now I know the leak is associated with cold weather. The source of the leak is under the fuel tank (which of course you can't see unless the tank is removed or at leasted tilted up). It looks like only two possibilities. 1. the rubber gasket again or 2. the hose connection with the fuel pump. Last time I saw residue above the hose connection so I assumed it was the gasket. It is difficult to diagnose because I remove most of the gas from the tank before bringing it into my heated shop to work on.

Unless some of you wise folks on here have better suggestions, I guess I'll remove the tank, refill it with gas, and leave it outside on a cold night and see if I can find the leak that way. I think it has to be colder that 20 below to make it leak. It has never leaked in warm weather. It doesn't leak when the fuel pump is running so it is a gravity driven leak.

Any suggestions?

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
The fuel line quick disconnect. 1. is it fully seated, 2. is the little white plastic finger flange on the quick disconnect in good repair. 3. Is the hose in good shape. Check both ends of the fuel hose. If in doubt the hose is only around 40 bucks.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
What Chuck said, looking at the fiche it looks to be the only real weak spot...

OP
OP
junglejim
Bike
Tiger 800
Also check the fuel level sending unit gasket. On the bottom of the tank.
That is a possibility even though there is no gasket there. The wires are sealed permantly into the bottom of the fuel pump assembly with some sort of epoxy looking stuff. I suppose the epoxy could have failed and that is approximately where the leak is coming from.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
That is a possibility even though there is no gasket there. The wires are sealed permantly into the bottom of the fuel pump assembly with some sort of epoxy looking stuff. I suppose the epoxy could have failed and that is approximately where the leak is coming from.
Another thought, even though it has been awhile, how about the fuel pump, is it in the tank. If so check that gasket,

OP
OP
junglejim
Bike
Tiger 800
Another thought, even though it has been awhile, how about the fuel pump, is it in the tank. If so check that gasket,
Yes, the fuel pump is in the tank and that is the gasket I replaced last time.

I forgot to mention that last time I had the problem I pressurized the tank via the overflow tube and checked with soapy water for bubbles. No leak found and it held air pressure (I think I only used about 8#).

Top Bottom