BMW grip construction

Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
Thought about getting some BMW heated grips on sleazebay, just kind of wondering if they would even work. Anyone know if the ST cables would work on the BMW throttle sleeve? Or does the grip (with heating element) come off of the sleeve? I'll do the symtec heaters with regular bmw grips if it's no bueno. Just thought I'd ask since they're $35.....

Frank

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The best I remember the answer to your first question is no. I have had the regular BMW grips with Symtec membrane heaters on my ST1300 for over 13 years, no problem, good results. I also have the heaters on my KLR with regular ProGrips and am equally happy.

OP
OP
Bueller
Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
Yea, didn't figure my fellow Germans and the Japanese would agree to design stuff the same way...that'd be too easy for the rest of us, lol!

So let me ask you this..does a guy have to use two right handed or two left handed grips to install with the symtec's?

Frank

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Yea, didn't figure my fellow Germans and the Japanese would agree to design stuff the same way...that'd be too easy for the rest of us, lol!

So let me ask you this..does a guy have to use two right handed or two left handed grips to install with the symtec's?

Frank
It has been 13 years since I installed my BMW grips on the ST1300. It was not easy finding BMW grips to fit as I remember. The best thing to do is remove the old grips and take careful dimensions in both diameter and length of the stock grips and L. handlebar mounting point and R. throttle sleeve. Then take them to a BMW dealer to match them up. Mine came with the BMW throttle sleeve already glued on, I had to remove it. In case you don't know, the best way to install or remove grips is with compressed air blown between the grip and sleeve/handlebar.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It has been 13 years since I installed my BMW grips on the ST1300. It was not easy finding BMW grips to fit as I remember. The best thing to do is remove the old grips and take careful dimensions in both diameter and length of the stock grips and L. handlebar mounting point and R. throttle sleeve.
Is this with grip grids? I just got the P/N for them from Igofar and got them at a nearby BMW dealer. Easy peasy.

Top Bottom