ST1100 OEM Wind Deflector Mounting Instructions?

Hello I just purchase a used set of mirror mount and side fairing wind deflectors. Unfortunately no hardware or instructions for how to install. I can guess the fit, but if anyone has a copy of the OEM Honda instructions could they post a .pdf of .jpg of the papers so I can install correctly? I cant find them online. Do you need to drill a hole in your lower fairing to fit the side deflectors bottom clip?

I also have front Police light brackets for my driving lights - has anyone cut the mirror wind deflectors to fit? If so, do you have a template or pics?

Cheers and thanks.

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
The knee deflectors will require you get longer screws as they utilize the same holes as the inspection covers from the mid fairing. You will also need to drill a small hole in the underbelly fairing to attach the bottom of the deflector. (I bought mine used as well so it didn't come with any hardware) The bottom is attached with the plastic body plugs.
The wind deflectors on the mirrors, you mark where the holes go from the deflector drill 5mm holes and attach with appropriate bolts with nylon lock nuts.
This link http://www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=902.0 shows how to install Pia lights with under mirror mounts. This gives instructions on how to cut the plastic mirror covers

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
I've got the install instructions in hard copy. They're in English, French, Dutch, and German. But it's so simple and self-evident it's hardly worth the effort to scan them. Kiltman covered it.

Some STriders are loathe to ever put a hole in the tupperware (not me!) and have used double-sided sticky tape to mount their mirror deflectors, FWIW.

We had a large group buy of the deflectors years ago on the ST-Riders LiSTserve. A very nice member in Holland got them for us and shipped them to the USA for just $60 USD total, to my front door. Sweet! It was half the price of USA sourced kits, if you could even find them.

I've found they work well year-round and leave them on.

John

Last edited:
Bike
VStrom 650
You will see from piccies that the mirror deflectors get positioned in various positions, higher/lower. I went slightly higher than the norm but don't go too high or the nuts will foul the mirrors.
Upt'North.

STOC #
Yup, Kiltman's got it right. I only have the lower body wind deflectors. I bought them from someone here on the forum. I found that I could use the same factory top screw, but had to get a longer one for the middle screw, and then just used a self-tapping sheet metal screw into the bottom fairing where it can't really be seen. Worked fine, but I do suggest using stainless hardware so they don't form any rust.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
You will see from piccies that the mirror deflectors get positioned in various positions, higher/lower. I went slightly higher than the norm but don't go too high or the nuts will foul the mirrors.
Upt'North.
Um... the OEM/Hondaline mirror wind deflectors came with low profile panhead bolts. The bolts are supposed to be inserted into the holes drilled into the mirror covers from the inside, with the supplied acorn nuts on the outside holding the deflectors to the cover. There should be no interference with the mirrors themselves.

John

Bike
VStrom 650
Yes these are really cheap and readily available from Silver's.
But as an aside I wouldn't fit them to a Pan that was being ridden in predominantly dry/warm conditions.
They're great on long wet/cold motorway jaunts but no good for warmer climes where you need the airflow.
Upt North.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Just for the record, the deflectors for the 1300 are held on with 3M double sided tape available from auto body supply stores. I believe a roll is around $15. It comes in two widths. This stuff is maybe 1/16" thick, and will release later with some heat and gentle prying. It is considered permanent and the glue supposedly 'cures' overnight when above 60 or 70 deg. Iirc, it has a red peel off backing and is a black tape.

If you don't want to drill holes, check this stuff out for your 1100.

I woke to an email stating the part had been discontinued and that they were issuing a refund. I guess I'll continue to look for a used set or at least come up with something for the mirror deflectors.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I woke to an email stating the part had been discontinued and that they were issuing a refund.
This was SOP for awhile for guys looking for the deflectors for the 1300 too. So many eBay and retailers of Honda kit not updating their websites then taking money for the sale. Then The Email.

In olden days your money wasn't taken just the CC info. No charges until it was time to ship. Far less likely for anyone to get their hopes up only to be later crushed by The Email.

Top Bottom