About Heated Jacket Liners...

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Looking at WnS and Gerbing 'heated jacket liners' it strikes me that these are more jacket than liners especially considering WnS advertises 3M and Illuminate (sp?) reflective trim.

If these are actually liners as in meant to be worn under a jacket does the actual jacket have to be larger to accommodate the liner?

Another question: does anybody make a quality heated vest? I didn't see any at WnS or the GordonStore (OG- Original Gerbing!). I don't travel in real cold weather like many of you guys and a vest would fit under my jackets much better.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've tried both and prefer the Gerbing myself. They are thin enough that that's not much added bulk, not any more than if you'd wear a thicker couple of layers under your jacket when it's cold anyway. Most riding jackets don't fit so tight that you can't wear a thin sweater underneath.

The liners probably have reflective stuff as a gimmick because we all like reflective stuff LOL

Gerbing does sell a vest:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gyde-by-gerbing-12v-heated-vest-liner

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
No problem with my Gerbing jacket liner fitting under my Firstgear Jacket. I've also got an old Widder Vest and I much prefer the jacket style. The heat in the arms can be very nice. That said, I am a bit cautious of the 'new' Gerbing as to changes they have made with their warranty and the new technology. My old Gerbing liners work just fine.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I like the non-waterproof W&S because they breathe. Order it so it fits on the snug size. They don't take up any more room than your existing jacket liner, just replace it. Jacket liners have heat in the arms, and options for hooking up gloves.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You really want a liner over a vest as it is important to keep your arms warm.
+1. Don't waist your money on a heated vest. Your arms are more exposed than your trunk. My .02.

The heated jacket liner will pretty much replace your existing jacket liner, no need for both. Once you get heated gear, you'll be surprised at how often you use it.

Another option is Gordon's Heated Clothing, started by the founders of Gerbing's.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Another option is Gordon's Heated Clothing, started by the founders of Gerbing's.
Thanks Paul!!! I didn't know they had this going.. I'll definitely go with them in the future.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
+1. Don't waist your money on a heated vest. Your arms are more exposed than your trunk. My .02.
+2.
Speaking as someone without much natural insulation, a heated jacket is much more comfortable than a vest. My Gerbing jacket liner is 14 years old and works great.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I would recommend the liner over the vest also. Here's why. I didn't have any heated gear and my legs never got cold, so I thought. Once I got the heated jacket liner and gloves I couldn't believe how cold my legs were. I suspect the same thing would happen with a vest. Your torso would be nice and warm and then you would realize your arms are cold. Just my thoughts.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I bought a vest and noted how cold my arms where... bought at liner and use it like Fnmag does... liner until it gets really cold and then plug into the electric system.

Oakland can be cold even with 'warm' temps due to your moisture...

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
There is a history between Gerbing and W&S that you can research, it was sort of interesting. The founder of W&S developed the HeatTroller, and was somehow in business with Gerbing, but claims that at one point Gerbing sent the design over to China and began copying it. It has been a while, but as I remember, the W&S guy at one point was sending out free HeatTrollers to people who sent in the Gerbing copies in to him with the wires cut off. As I have stated before, the HeatTrollers are a better product than the Chinese Gerbing and HD branded controllers.
I own an older W&S jacket that is not windproof and fits snug by design. The W&S people encourage you to get a tight fit. It is very warm, warmer than the Gerbing. I wear it under my cold weather gear that is windproof anyway. It packs smaller than the Gerbing.
I also own a newer Gerbing wind proof heated liner. It is a looser fit and works better as just a jacket if the need arises. I use this one for touring as it eliminates the need to pack an additional jacket and for use under my Aerostich, as it is windproof.
Of the two, I like the Gerbing the best overall. FYI, I have never had either of these liners on full blast, maximum, for any length of time as they will both cook you. I have discovered that a heated jacket liner is the only article of heated clothing that I really need, even riding in temps in the teens.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I have discovered that a heated jacket liner is the only article of heated clothing that I really need, even riding in temps in the teens.
What gloves do you use at those temps? I've not found any functional gloves that are good at < ~30?F for any reasonable length of time (> 1 hr) on a motorcycle.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
What gloves do you use at those temps? I've not found any functional gloves that are good at < ~30?F for any reasonable length of time (> 1 hr) on a motorcycle.
Roadgear winter gloves or Tourmaster Grand Tour Elites. Unfortunately, neither are made anymore. I think the Tourmasters have been revised, upgraded, whatever. I have these installed on my ST and my KLR. as well. They are wonderful.
https://www.amazon.com/Symtec-Motorcycle-Warmer-Toggle-210019MT/dp/B000GZJL86/ref=bit_bds-p10_serp_ie_us_cw_img?_encoding=UTF8&ascsubtag=1ba_0_spk_000-os-device-browser-localeTest-testApp-custom:A|custom:B&tag=bds-p10-serp-us-ie-20&tagbase=bds-p10&tbrId=v1_abb-channel-10_1d86f8c7_1201_1401_20161020_US_ie_sp_

OP
OP
ST Gui

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Mellow said:
The liners probably have reflective stuff as a gimmick because we all like reflective stuff LOL
LOL!

RaYzerman said:
They don't take up any more room than your existing jacket liner, just replace it.
:face palm: D'oh! Of course! That never occurred to me.

fnmag said:
My Gerbing liner is the last generation made with Thinsulite and it does a pretty good job of keeping me warm in the 50s & 40s without the heat. Then turn on the heat in the low 40s and below. A great piece of kit.
You really want a liner over a vest as it is important to keep your arms warm.

The heated jacket liner will pretty much replace your existing jacket liner, no need for both. Once you get heated gear, you'll be surprised at how often you use it.

I did look at the GordonStore. In interesting message and I hope they make the same quality of clothing that you uh um 'more experienced' guys have.

Ok collective wisdom wins? jacket liner it is. I've never found gloves that keep my hands warm at 40? so a jacket liner makes even more sense. I'll be looking at W&S and the NEW new Gerbings (Gordon Store). Thanks for all the replies everybody.

STOC #
... I've never found gloves that keep my hands warm at 40? so a jacket liner makes even more sense.
I have to say, the factory heated grips that are on my new F6B are really the dogs paws!!! The only problem is, with the cheap waterproof winter gloves I have, the grip warmers make my hands sweat, so when I slip a glove off to use my phone, my sweaty finger skips and skids across the screen when I try to swipe it. Almost makes me miss my old Flip-Phone. ;)

I'm watching this thread with interest, because I'm thinking of adding some heated gear controllers to my bike (permanent mount type) even though I have no heated gear yet.
(It's just a Farkle addiction thing).

Jim

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Jim, FWIW, heated gear and TPMS are the two best farkles I have on my bike. I'd give up just about any of the others to keep those.

STOC #
Jim, FWIW, heated gear and TPMS are the two best farkles I have on my bike. I'd give up just about any of the others to keep those.
Yeah, I had the Fobo TPMS on my PC800 and it was great (sold them with the bike). I just haven't gotten around to another $99 for this new bike yet.

Bike
2113 BMW 1600GT
I found Gerbings or Gyde/Gerbings to be warmer that any others. The expandable shoulders in the W&S allowed cold to come through and made my shoulders cold. The Gerbings, last generation with the red collar is your best bet. The new Gydes work well, but are ugly as a jacket and no outside pockets or cuffs.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Anyone else feel like a terrorist when you wear your liner into a store or restaurant with wires hanging out all over? I keep waiting for people to run or attack me.:)

STOC #
"Hello Jim!"
Hey. How are ya...?
I took the F6B out for an airing today:

Pietra Santa Winery 1-13-17.jpg

Just a short ride down Hwy 25 and around the Cienega Road loop.
Stopped at Pietra Santa Winery and took a few pictures.
The dash told me it was 59 degrees at one point.

Jim

Top Bottom