Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Hey. How are ya...?
I took the F6B out for an airing today:

Pietra Santa Winery 1-13-17.jpg

Just a short ride down Hwy 25 and around the Cienega Road loop.
Stopped at Pietra Santa Winery and took a few pictures.
The dash told me it was 59 degrees at one point.

Jim
Now THAT is a nice looking bike! I guess you're not renting one anymore...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ok collective wisdom wins? jacket liner it is. I've never found gloves that keep my hands warm at 40? so a jacket liner makes even more sense. I'll be looking at W&S and the NEW new Gerbings (Gordon Store). Thanks for all the replies everybody.
One more aspect to the heated jacket. I usually run my WnS at 1/4 or therabouts, and noticed that my shoulders and arms were not feeling much, if any warmth. It was mostly concentrated in my chest/stomach area. Then it got cold and we rode for about 100 miles at 36 to 40 deg temps. I turned my heat troller up to maybe 3/4 max - well, even 100% while playing around - and yes, the shoulders and arms were definately working then. So, at low levels, you might find that your WnS heated liner is a lot like a vest.

Think about this from a marketing pov. If your heated jacked looks a lot better than the competition, you will sell more, so putting reflective tape on the outside and making it dual purpose (windproof/water proof) ads to its utility. Much more useful than simply a vest.

STripper

Brian
Bike
2005 ST1300A
My Gerbing jacket liner that I purchased 7 years ago has served me well; I have no experience with the recent offerings. I like the heated sleeves and would not waste money on a heated vest.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I just got a chance to use my Gerbing jacket yesterday in 32F. I think everyone here who's had one and tried it the first time, turned it down instantly. I felt like toasted bread. Thank goodness for a good troller. Now for gloves and heated soles.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Anyone else feel like a terrorist when you wear your liner into a store or restaurant with wires hanging out all over? I keep waiting for people to run or attack me.:)

My sheer presence in fluorescent green textile jacket usually keeps people from being confrontational.

Last edited:

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
So far I've been good with just my Gerbing heated gloves and variable controller that I bought new in 2006, and wear added layers. I just keep moving the controller from the bike I had then to my ST and now it's on my CTX. Replaced the controller a few years ago due to a broken wire right at the controller case, and figure I'll need to replace the whole kit in a few more years. The thumb on my right glove doesn't heat on the low setting but does fine when I turn up the heat to half or warmer. I am thinking when the time comes to replace I'd go for the jacket liner and gloves both, either W&S or Gordons, so watching this thread with interest. So far I don't need any electric heat until temps are at freezing or below. This evening I rode around the edge of town about 10 miles before the ice storm hits (getting warnings from the weather predictors all day) to get some dinner from Chick Fil-A. I really don't get looks for the wires dangling from my sleeves and one from the left side bottom of my jacket, but I do get looks for just arriving by motorcycle. Temps were right at 32*F so wore the heated gloves but didn't turn on until on the way home. Yeah, my layers are bulky but really don't keep me from moving as needed for riding. It would be better to have fewer layers and a heated liner though.

Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #
I rode out to Union, WA and bought a liner from Gerbing MANY years ago. As I understand it the Gerbing line is currently owned by Gyde Supply which has a website called 'The Warming Store'. http://www.thewarmingstore.com.

Over the last 2 years I started noticing my jacket wasn't getting as warm as it used too. Since it came with a lifetime guarantee I went looking for Gerbing and found Gyde and their website. They honored the warranty and repair the liner. The funny thing is they said the power supply wire was completely broken. No wonder it didn't feel as warm as it used too! ;) All good now!

Gordon's Heated Clothing is owned by Gordon Gerbing. He lost the original Gerbing line years ago. From the website, "Gordon's Heated Clothing is not in any way related to any other company anywhere. After a medical crisis in which Gordon nearly lost his life, he did lose the company he founded. Now Gordon and three generations of Gerbings are back, with a new family company based on over 40 years of experience providing heated clothing for motorcyclists and power sports". http://gordonsheated.com

I'm powering my Gerbing via my Aboreal - Neutrino Black Box (NBB). It's a Bluetooth controlled solid state fuse box. You don't need a rheostat like a Heat Troller because the NBB comes with a remote temperature probe. You simply use one of the NBB circuits and program it to come on as the temperature drops. I have mine set to come on 10% at 60F. It automatically cranks up the power 10% for every few degree temperature drop until it hits 100%. Pretty slick! You can check it out here: http://koczarski.com/2016-yamaha-fjr1300es/arboreal-neutrino-distribution-module-v1.

I use my heated liner as an additional layer between my LDrider undergarments and my jacket in the mornings and on cold days. If it's really cold I just plug it into the pig tail and it comes on as required.

Last edited:
Top Bottom