upper cowl removal for painting,

Bike
'12 st1300
I'd like to remove the upper cowl on my ST1300 to repaint it. I have the mirrors off, the windshield off, and the vinyl cover that is just above the upper cowl. I also have the mirror arms off. It still seems firmly attached so I'm missing something. I'm not sure what else has to be done to remove it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

OP
OP
Bike
'12 st1300
Yes, I had seen that and it's a nice write up, but there is nothing about the upper cowl (the painted plastic in front of the wind shield. When he gets the bike stripped down, it's still on the bike. If you find anything else, let me know. Thanks, Tom

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
OK - Not that hard. There is a phillips screw at each of the mirror attachment points that is all that is holding the UPPER cowl attached. That is, if you have Middle Cowls removed. If you do not have the Middle Cowl removed, then you have to remove all 3 phillips screw at the mirror attachment point and the 2 screws that are at the bottom of that upper cowl that also hold the inner cowls. These screws re below the headlight and above the front fender. Then a fair amount of persuasion to spread the middle cowl to get the upper off. Putting it back will be a test of patience. The turn signal wires will come out of the routing holes when the upper is removed. Holding and fishing those wires back through can be a PITA

Page 2-16 of the Honda service manual.

There will be 3 wiring harnesses to be disconnected and pull the little corner lights to finish the removal of that upper cowl.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
'12 st1300
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I noticed the farthest point forward on the cowl has a tab for a rubber grommet and I was able to get it free but was a bit concerned about how much "persuasion" would be needed to free the sides. Thanks again, Tom

Top Bottom