Valvoline DOT3/DOT4

Bike
2005 ST1300
I need to replace the brake fluid on my 2005 ST. I know the bike needs DOT4 fluid and that a number of folks said not to use the Honda DOT4 as it had jello particles probably from sitting so long.

I also read that many on here use the Valvoline fluid. The only one i could find had DOT3/DOT4 written on the label. Is this ok to use, i.e., is this what others are using? Or should i just go buy a DOT4 only fluid.

thanks

Panjammer

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is perfectly OK to use Valvoline DOT3/DOT4 in lieu of a DOT4 only fluid.

Last edited:
Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
DOT 4 is more commonly recommended for disc brake applications due to its higher boiling point temperature relative to DOT3. Heavy use of disc brakes, say in mountainous terrain, could cause DOT 3 to boil sooner, causing a loss in braking.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
You've made an excellent choice, especially if it is synthetic. I would probably be using it except that I've been using Castrol GT LMA forever. It's also a synthetic brake fluid, but I use Valvoline oil exclusively in my car and SUV.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Unless I'm greatly mistaken all brake fluid is synthetic....DOT5 is silicon based and imcompatible with DOT3/4 systems.......ff
What you say about DOT5 is very true, but I don't think the cheaper brands of brake fluid are synthetic. BTW, I once lived in Rochester for 6 months back in the late 60's, including the 2 weeks of summer. Although I enjoyed it at the time, I have to say that I am thankful to be living in TX now. No offense intended, just sayin ,,,,

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Unless I'm greatly mistaken all brake fluid is synthetic....DOT5 is silicon based and imcompatible with DOT3/4 systems.......ff
But DOT 5.1 is compatible with DOT3/4.

I think synthetic brake fluid is like synthetic oil, it is, and it isn't, what most people think.

+1...on the DOT5.1

Check the wet and dry boiling points on whatever you are looking at buying. Just because the DOT rating is "higher" doesn't necessarily mean it has higher boiling point(s) than any given "lower" one.

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
+1 for DOT 5.1 , this is an upgrade I have used for years.... Definitely stay away from DOT 5 as it absorbs water quicker and I mainly used garage queens , due to the Bonney colours it comes in...

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Already mentioned but the DOT3/4 is fine for DOT4 applications.
DOT5 specs were expected to be met with silicone based fluids but these had issues with compressability.
DOT5.1 was the answer to that issue and isn't silicone based.

DOT3 is typically glycol ether based.
DOT4 is typically glycol ether with some borate ester and tend to absorb moisture a little quicker than DOT3
DOT5 is typically silicone and doesn't absorb moisture which isn't always a good thing and doesn't play well with ABS or DOT3/4/5.1
DOT5.1 is borate ester/glycol ether. I assume it absorbs moisture faster than DOT4.

While increasing DOT implies increasing MINIMUM boiling point it doesn't mean you can't find a DOT4 that beats a DOT5.1 actual boiling point.

Like the recent coolant thread colorant doesn't mean much.

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Already mentioned but the DOT3/4 is fine for DOT4 applications.
DOT5 specs were expected to be met with silicone based fluids but these had issues with compressability.
DOT5.1 was the answer to that issue and isn't silicone based.

DOT3 is typically glycol ether based.
DOT4 is typically glycol ether with some borate ester and tend to absorb moisture a little quicker than DOT3
DOT5 is typically silicone and doesn't absorb moisture which isn't always a good thing and doesn't play well with ABS or DOT3/4/5.1
DOT5.1 is borate ester/glycol ether. I assume it absorbs moisture faster than DOT4.

While increasing DOT implies increasing MINIMUM boiling point it doesn't mean you can't find a DOT4 that beats a DOT5.1 actual boiling point.

Like the recent coolant thread colorant doesn't mean much.

Well put ......:headbang:

DOT 5 - absorb is probably the wrong term to use..... I seems to hold water / moisture from what I have experienced / seem

Top Bottom