Long Johns

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I'm looking for recommendations on light to mid weight undergarments to wear under Draggin jeans or textile riding pants during those "edge months" in early fall/late spring. Have Cabellas polar weight for winter which are great but they are too much if it is over 50 degrees. I have and Caballas silk weight poly but they are a little too thin. Looking for something in between. I've ordered several motorcycle specific garments but have sent them all back because I'm not 5'5" tall and 120 pounds if you know what I mean. I have have been using a pair of L. L. Bean basic polypropylene long johns for probably 20 years but they seem to have "shrunk" after all those years. No one seems to make plain old poly long johns anymore. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Try real silk if you can find them in your size. They are warmer than the poly by far but breathe very well. I wear mine until they are shredded. Usually on sale around this time of year as they get ready for spring/summer stuff.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Another option is bicyclist tights. They come in various weights and are very comfortable.

But... unless you're near a bicycle, don't wear them as the outer layer ;)

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Another option is bicyclist tights. They come in various weights and are very comfortable.
+1. This is what I wear (under my motorcycle gear, of course) in lieu of heated gear that I don't have, pretty much any time I need layers. They can easily be doubled up (two light layers or a light and a medium layer) as needed. And as a bonus they make the moto pants easier to don because they are slick. Since they are very close-fitting and have snug elastic cuffs they don't tend to follow the outer pant leg as I pull it on.

I also wear the corresponding cool-weather bike jerseys or hiking / outdoor active wear base layers up top.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I like the merino wool blend garments in mid weight works well during early deer season and on the bike. Check Sierra Trading Post they have great prices , their "deal flyers" make some things pretty cheap, and have pretty good selection of products. A tight fitting wicking base layer helps the performance of the insulated stuff but may not be necessary on the bike.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300

But... unless you're near a bicycle, don't wear them as the outer layer ;)
Unless you are that slim guy with defined musculature don't bother wearing them as said outer layer even NEAR a bicycle.

You might check out capilene underwear - REI sells it, Patagonia makes it. Like Cabellas, it is marketed to outdoor sports. This stuff used to come in three different weights - for very active sports like downhill or cross country skiing all the way to heavy for a more sedentary sport like still hunting. Fair warning, if it has the Patagonia name, it will be top quality, with an ironclad warranty, and a price that just might make you gasp. But, I haven't bought any in years so these impressions go way way back. Great deals can be had at end of year sales and closeouts and of course, Amazon sells it too.

Same warning applies for capilene worn as an outer garment.

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
I've found that the Freeze-Out line sold at Cycle Gear stores is a good base layer on those medium-cold days.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you want to ride on the wild side you can always go the Broadway Joe route.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Under Armour has different thicknesses and work great. Anything by LDComfort will be quality

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I wear the bicycle tights too but also have a couple pairs of cross country ski tights in various weights that work very well. I'd recommend the compression style... they are noticeably warmer to me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom