92 ST1100 alternator repair

Hi everyone, new to the forum, as Ive just bought a 92 ST1100. And, yes the alternator leaks oil onto the exhaust. Today I made a sheetmetal tray to catch the oil and let it drip in between the exhausts, a temporary fix. I attached it to the left side under one of the screws that holds the lower black panel on. ( Ive owned a lot of harleys, so I know about oil leaks, LOL.)
So, my question is, what can I do with new gaskets and lots RTV to stop the leak until I can get a 40A alternator to replace the old one. BTW, my current 28A works great, no problems at all.
Thanks for any advice you can give me. Ron :06biker:

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
It's probably leaking from one of the two large O-rings, one at the engine case mating surface, the other about mid-assembly...OR...from around the wire harness exit at the rear of the alternator. The o-rings are accessible with lots of rear end disassembly. The wire exit is not so easy to correct.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Hi everyone, new to the forum, as Ive just bought a 92 ST1100. And, yes the alternator leaks oil onto the exhaust. Today I made a sheetmetal tray to catch the oil and let it drip in between the exhausts, a temporary fix. I attached it to the left side under one of the screws that holds the lower black panel on. ( Ive owned a lot of harleys, so I know about oil leaks, LOL.)
So, my question is, what can I do with new gaskets and lots RTV to stop the leak until I can get a 40A alternator to replace the old one. BTW, my current 28A works great, no problems at all.
Thanks for any advice you can give me. Ron :06biker:
I have recently disassembled re soldered wires, resealed and bench tested 28A stators. Will this be of help to you, or run with the leaky 28A until you are able to do the 40A?

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I may be repeating myself but I'd love that stator if you still have it. Bob 720 425 0047
Sorry I didn't see your message until today, working on installing cruise control and it's giving me fits like most of the work I do. Does it matter to you the p2 and p3 connectors are not wired. This means the black, white and 3 green wires do not have connectors. They can be wired direct, soldered and shrink tubing. I will send it for cost of shipping.

Do you still have and serviceable 28 amp alternators you would be willing to part with? Mine went Kaput.
Mark in Wisconsin?

Top Bottom