new headers needed, which ones

it finally happened the headers on my 2000 pan have finally died a death. I've been patching them up for a while and the plan was to remove them and weld everything up properly but the collector box is pretty much shot so its time for a set of stainless headers. I'm in the U.K so have narrowed it down to either Delkovic or Black Widow headers. Price is similar. The Delkovic are 2 piece like the originals whereas the Black Widows are 3 piece. Has anyone fitted either of these systems? is one better than the other or are they both ok?

Bike
VStrom 650
No experience with either but I can recommend the Motad system.
Mines been on for donkeys and no problems.
Hope it helps.
Upt'North.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I'm considering a Delkevic system on my 1991. The Black Widow and Motad systems are stainless as well and all three look to be well made. .
My original set works fine. I'm just a little OCD and would like a better appearance when I take the plastic off for cleaning and maintenance. The OCD conundrum? Stock or appearance.....can't jump one way or the other just yet.

Bike
1990 Yamaha XTZ750
STill annoyed that the end cans and the header pipes are stainless, but the collector is made from soda can metal.
Mine's slowly but surely been getting louder as the hole is growing in size

Bike
ST1100AN
I have Delkevic headers, bought 'em ten years ago. They were pretty difficult to install, especially collector box didn't fit well without an iron bar and a hydraulic jack! I'd choose Motad.

Bike
ST1100AN
...and my center stand doesn't rise as high as it should be. I'll cut that header box into pieces and weld it back before season starts.

Bike
1997 ST1100
I am in the same boat. The collector on the right side has rusted through in spots. They have been creatively patched with muffler bandage tape, aluminum foil and a band clamp. That will probably get through this year but a new system is in my future. I'm liking the Delkevic 17" but I have a questions about rear tire removal. Do you need the remove the cans to pull the rear wheel? That doesn't look like a terrible task but I'm wondering about that. Delkevics are made in the US. It looks like there are not many other options this side of the pond. Anybody have experience lately with them?

Bike
'99 ST1100
STOC #
Do you need the remove the cans to pull the rear wheel? That doesn't look like a terrible task but I'm wondering about that.
The mufflers are indented so you can pull the rear axle out without moving the mufflers. The pin that keeps the rear caliper from rotating can be loosened and back out enough without moving the muffler.

Bike
1997 ST1100
Resurrecting the thread...
I wound up getting the Delkevic full 17" oval system and have had it on for about 4 weeks now. The factory cans have an indent to allow for clearance of the axle but the Delkevics do not. It looks like I will have to loosen the clamp at the front of the can and the mounting clamp on the footrest hanger to rotate the can out of the way if the rear tire has to come off. Since this is a nice stainless system, the clamps shouldn't rust up tight. Time will tell.

The new system sounds a bit different than the factory pipes. No surprise there. It is definitely a bit more of a throaty, aggressive sound but not too bad. At highway speeds it's not much louder that factory. The ST seems more responsive but without dyno readings, any improvement in performance is subjective. Calibrated seat-of-the-pants evaluation is a thumbs up! Delkevic says you don't have to re-tune the motor or re-jet but I had the carbs re-synced anyway. I have not done that since I've had the bike. She runs much better and I am happy with the change. One odd thing I did notice is that I can feel more of the motor's "presence" in the foot pegs in the 2000-2300 RPM range. It's not engine vibrations but I think it's more like sympathetic firing impulses coming through that can be felt through the foot pegs. At highway speeds, she's as smooth as she ever was. I would recommend these pipes to anybody.

Hello, I have a 1994 ST1100 with the stock exhaust having some rust holes at the end cap. I’m contemplating replacement. My choices are Black Widow or Delkevic. Also not sure whether to get stubby 14” or full length 18”. My considerations are sound quality and performance as well as practical use, accessibility of maintenance. Any comments or suggestions appreciated thanks!

Attachments

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I have the stubby Tri-Oval slip ons- very easy to install (once you get the others off) and sound great- not too loud. As far. As performance goes, slip ones likely don’t add too much to the bike’s performance. What is a plus if you like a louder pipe is that in most cases, the carbs don’t have to be re-jetted using the Delkevic pipes- mine look like your 4th pic above. I never re-jetted mine and the bike runs fine.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Hello, I have a 1994 ST1100 with the stock exhaust having some rust holes at the end cap. I’m contemplating replacement. My choices are Black Widow or Delkevic. Also not sure whether to get stubby 14” or full length 18”. My considerations are sound quality and performance as well as practical use, accessibility of maintenance. Any comments or suggestions appreciated thanks!
I replaced my stock system with the Delkevic headers and long mufflers about 18 months back. The stock headers had lots of corrosion but the mufflers were still fine. The new set is still nice and shiny. The exhaust has a bit louder rumble but I can't tell any difference in performance at any speed range.
1651924416478.jpeg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I don't think you'll get any noticeable/usable performance gain by replacing the stock exhaust system with aftermarket. I'd replace with OEM, used or new, depending on what you can get/afford. Personally, I'd probably not even replace what you have if those are the only two rust spots, unless they are getting worse quickly. The mufflers are easy to replace if your headers are ok.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re the Motad header system. Brilliant once fitted. There is no gasket between header pipes and collector. The big revelation was a very watery mix of exhaust sealant compound is a pretty effective lubricant

This is what I wrote about them 20 years ago - the trials and problems first, the solution at the bottom.
Click the thumbnail pics for a larger images - some of the links error back to the front page. Its a very old website, designed for when we had 56k dial-up modems.

Top Bottom