First Victory, Now EBR?

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
EBR's failure when it went into receivership in 2015 was the death blow to a local and well loved motorcycle establishment here in Dahlonega. They had taken in about 12 EBRs for sale. Shortly thereafter, EBR's financial problems forced them into receivership and left the dealer without support and without warranty... despite what the article said. The small dealer could not sell the bikes with no product support or warranty. The interest payments on the inventory pushed them over the edge and the owner decided to cut his losses and close the doors.

OP
OP
paulcb

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
EBR's failure when it went into receivership in 2015 was the death blow to a local and well loved motorcycle establishment here in Dahlonega. They had taken in about 12 EBRs for sale. Shortly thereafter, EBR's financial problems forced them into receivership and left the dealer without support and without warranty... despite what the article said. The small dealer could not sell the bikes with no product support or warranty. The interest payments on the inventory pushed them over the edge and the owner decided to cut his losses and close the doors.
That really stinks that 12 bikes put him out of business. TBH, I don't understand why buyers (riders) and dealers take chances on manufacturers such as Buell, Victory, Motus, etc. Maybe as a 2nd or 3rd bike, but considering their price, reliability, support, etc, they're just way too risky for me as my primary ride.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
The dealer's main line was Aprilla and MotoGuzzi. They also sold Suzuki and MV Agusta. I think he was trying to help EBR and it ended up hurting him. He had a couple of bad years before that... and EBR just sealed his fate.

MattInDenver

Shall Be known as MattInMadison
Bike
2012 ST1300 2006 VFR
I was at EBR first auction. Yet another reason to ride Honda. Victory was a sad thing to see at least they are keeping Indian.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
Dealer or dealer's owner , privately , should have sold them "as-is" on ebay . You don't need warranties with them then . That's how I ridded myself of my lemon BMW R1200RT with only 6 K miles ! He would have taken some loss but not enough to ruin his business, + business loss tax deduction could have helped.

Bike
ST1100Y
STOC #
I own a 02 Cyclone, and worked at a Harley dealership at the time I bought it. I still own it, and am not getting rid of it because it is sooooo fun to ride. That being said, getting in bed with H-D was probably the first nail in the coffin, because the vast majority of H-D dealers did NOT care or want buells on their show rooms. I was there on the inside, and being a buell owner was really disappointing to see. Eric Buell has a TON of passion for what he does, but as we all know, it takes more than passion to sell bikes, and in this case it takes a lot of money to further a brand. And capital is something that he's struggled with from the very beginning. I'm still a huge fan of the bikes and what he's tried to do. He's come up with a lot of innovations, and at least deserves credit for coming out with bikes that are hella fun to ride. Hate to even say this line, but you don't really understand until you've ridden and owned one, recalls and everything. I hate seeing the brand struggle to get off the ground so much.

Buell may be dying a slow undeniable death, but I'll always be a fan. Same with victory. I want a victory, just can't afford one right now. It's like a couple old friends dying....

To me it's not so much about the price, but more about the experience. Although Its different for me, cause once I like something, I don't get rid of it. I never look toward getting my money back after ownership.

just my take..and .02

Frank

Last edited:
Top Bottom