Replace 2013 R1200RT tail lights with led bulbs?

Bike
2013 R1200RT
STOC #
Was just wondering if anybody replaced the bulbs for led ones. Have a 2013 R1200rt wanting to replace the tail light bulbs.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'd say questionable..... although today's LED's are great, a few of us locals have not yet found any LED's that would really justify the change... marginally brighter only. I'd say save yer money.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
The Canbus system on the RT limits changes to the electrics, even changing bulbs with different draws. Check with the BMW dealer or forum.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I tried LEDs on my ST1300 tail lights and they were LESS bright and conspicuous than the regular incandescent bulbs. I replaced one bulb with an LED and left the other stock. Without saying why, I had my wife drive behind me in the car to get a cager's perspective.When we got home she said something was wrong with one of my brake lights. I asked her to point out which one. She pointed to the LED and said she could hardly see it compared to the other one. The OEM lens was designed for an omnidirectional incandescent bulb, not an array of unidirectional LEDs. Purpose made LED light assemblies are great, I have them as OEM equipment on my Versys and my RT, but the plain old incandescent bulbs work better on bikes that were designed for them. My $.02

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I tried LEDs on my ST1300 tail lights and they were LESS bright and conspicuous than the regular incandescent bulbs. I replaced one bulb with an LED and left the other stock.
I did the same thing with some forgotten brand of LED tail/brake light bulb. It looked less bright to me. The tail light/ brake light lens was barely illuminated with a small hot spot in the middle. There may be a pic on this site somewhere.

One of my riding buddies noticed it right away saying it was brighter than stock. When asked which one he picked the LED. Eventually I replaced the remaining incandescent.

The ST has weak tail lights that apparently meet DOT requirements at night but are barely visible in bright daylight. My buddy's 2005 'Wing has much brighter stock tail lights than a stock ST. Having additional brake lights makes it more of an aesthetic concern than a safety concern for me. At some point I'll again look for brighter LEDs for the tail light.

When taking pics of lights for comparisons I use a camera that lets me control the exposure. Auto setting usually blow out the sensor and give lousy results the least of which is accurate color. By drastically reducing the exposure (small f/stop fast shutter speed low ISO) you get a more realistic sense of what lights look like to an approaching vehicle in the distance.

Top Bottom