Weird things after an injury

Bike
No bike
STOC #
So this accident was my first and hopefully only major injury in my life, and I've noticed a few weird things during the healing process that I thought I'd share.

1) Hair, nails, and beard all stopped growing for about 3 weeks - apparently the body decided it needed to spend it's energy healing bone instead of growing unnecessary dead cell products - the injured hand took another 2-3 weeks before nails started growing again

2) Everything felt like straw once feeling returned to my fingers - I'd pet the cat and wonder why his hair was so rough until I checked with the left hand and realized he was normal ... I was not ... touch is still a bit odd, but majorly improved now

3) The temporary loss of my dominate hand has increased the skill and dexterity of my other hand, but still no where near the quality of my dominate hand

4) The little things in life ... I'm really looking forward to being able to use my right hand again to "clean up" after using the restroom ... Sorry that one's gross

5) I can have a great low pain day up until the moment I lay down to sleep, it's been 5 months since I've had a good night sleep ... hopefully soon ...

Well there's a few thoughts about recovery I've had, what about you? I'm sure different injuries exhibit different curiosities ...

OP
OP
Jethro77
Bike
No bike
STOC #
6) I need to stop shaking hands with people! IT HURTS - but explaining why I don't want to shake seems like more trouble ... reaching in deep on the shake seems to prevent most of the "manly" tough guy shake and squeeze thing

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Glad to see you're healing Jethro! Yeah, some injuries take much longer than others.

I had my last accident back in April 2008. I still have issues because of it. My thumb on my right hand (dominate) was damaged and causes my writing to go weird at times. I have issues at times trying to write clearly, one reason I love computers...but sometimes even that gets goofed up, I hit keys more than once.

My back has never quite healed. I get a shooting pain in my left shoulder blade towards the middle of my back. Neck issues that are still around, etc...

So while healing is wonderful, there can always be leftover issues after you're healed!

Hope you continue to get better!

OP
OP
Jethro77
Bike
No bike
STOC #
Oooohhh ... double typing is a good one! That little muscle spasm thing that causes you to repeatedly tap the same key ... that one is very rare for me now fortunately

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am glad to hear you are getting well!

About 25 years ago I had a bout of lung inflammation that was really never diagnosed. I was in the hospital for several weeks before showing improvement. At first I was hospitalized for what appeared to be lung cancer then tested for many things that whatever it was - was not.

Anyway, my finger and toe nails had a definite tint change under the cuticle from the illness or from my body fighting it off. Some weeks or months later I saw the color change line or deliniation line come out of the cuticle into view and slowly grow out to the edge to get clipped off months later.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
So this accident was my first and hopefully only major injury in my life, and I've noticed a few weird things during the healing process that I thought I'd share.
4) The little things in life ... I'm really looking forward to being able to use my right hand again to "clean up" after using the restroom ... Sorry that one's gross
Yeppers, it feels sort of like there's somebody else 'back there'!!! :D
If there were incisions, you'll have dead spots and some nerves may not 'reconnect'. If they do, you'll get some funny 'tingling' until they finish. Last count, I've had 13 'orthopedic corrections/repairs' and other misadventures so I speak from too much experience. ;-)

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Glad to hear you are healing.....! Nerves can do weird things. I hope to never experience what you have.

Having had a broken right collar bone in the past I know what you mean about opposite hand clean ups...;) !

Have a button made that you can wear that says...."Hand broken , no shaken" :)

Keep up the good spirits! Hope to see you on two wheels soon.

ToddC

Bike
97 VFR
STOC #
5yr
That handshake problem is real. The instinct to push it out there can get you squeezed before you know it. Last time I was injured, I'd reach over and grab lefty and offer a quick explanation. When proper to offer the shake, I'd present the fist for a bump and say "bad wrist."
Also had odd sensations and numbness that gradually improved. Best wishes.

Bike
R1200rt
Oooohhh ... double typing is a good one! That little muscle spasm thing that causes you to repeatedly tap the same key ... that one is very rare for me now fortunately
plus 1 right forearm break from a hockey puck. looks like it needs surgery but doc says it doesn't.IMG_0206.jpg

Bike
2005 ST1300
Glad you're recovering. Hang in there.

Thanks for those observations. This is important stuff to understand when recovering, and I'm glad to have gained this perspective. I hope I never have need of it.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Have a friend who took a spill in Southern California last year, with a head injury. 8 months later he started developing a stutter. Dr's hope that it's part of the healing process. So do I. I hope you recover 100% brother!

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
6) I need to stop shaking hands with people! IT HURTS - but explaining why I don't want to shake seems like more trouble ... reaching in deep on the shake seems to prevent most of the "manly" tough guy shake and squeeze thing
Try a fist bump instead. That you can do with your left hand without it being awkward.

Bike
2005 ST 1300

1) Hair, nails, and beard all stopped growing for about 3 weeks - apparently the body decided it needed to spend it's energy healing bone instead of growing unnecessary dead cell products - the injured hand took another 2-3 weeks before nails started growing again

2) Everything felt like straw once feeling returned to my fingers - I'd pet the cat and wonder why his hair was so rough until I checked with the left hand and realized he was normal ... I was not ... touch is still a bit odd, but majorly improved now

3) The temporary loss of my dominate hand has increased the skill and dexterity of my other hand, but still no where near the quality of my dominate hand

5) I can have a great low pain day up until the moment I lay down to sleep, it's been 5 months since I've had a good night sleep ... hopefully soon ...

Well there's a few thoughts about recovery I've had, what about you? I'm sure different injuries exhibit different curiosities ...
While I recall something about your injury, I forget what happened.

But to your post, yes sir, I'm finding the same.

I'm just 30 days out of surgery to reattach my bicep tendon, completely tore if off!

Riding my long rides is in question, for sure this year I think. Down the road well need to worry about the now fist I think.

Bike
2006 ST1300
A window tore up my right hand/wrist back in my teens. 6 weeks in cast that reeve the stress on a tendon they repaired, so I understand some of your "issues." All the trauma caused a dead spot on the back of my hand. After about 20 years it finally repaired itself. Which was interesting, because I thought nerve cells didn't regenerate. That's good news for my brain.

Best of luck with your recovery!

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
Hi Jethro, I am a BIG proponent of physical therapy.

I am also very stubborn & neglected a sciatic nerve injury for 10+ months....my wife never quit urging me to get help. Guess what....it worked.
The end result is a series of stretches & exercises I do 3 - 4 days per week forever.

I also have a shoulder injury. I am doing a simple weight bearing exercise that has made a dramatic improvement in pain reduction.

You may want to consider getting some advice about some of your issues from a PT.

FYI, it took 8 - 10 week for me to see any improvement in my sciatic nerve injury.......I am not a patient person.

I hope you heal soon!

Jack

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Since the second accident I have incredibly strong and painful cramps in my right calf every few days. I never suffered from cramps before the broken foot. .
Andrew - Have you ever had that leg checked for a blood clot? I've got one in my left leg(within the last 30 days) and that leg will cramp like mad whenever I do any activity right in the calf (clot is behind the knee cap). I'll have to have a bypass done to fix mine. You might get it checked out just in case.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
I tore a bicep muscle completely loose almost 10 years ago. It took me almost five months to get full use back. Lost some mobility enough that poor guitar skills went to dreadful. I slept on the couch on my side because it was the only way that let me sleep without much pain. Two week after surgery I used the wrong hand to open a door. I almost passed out from the pain. It just takes a lot of time to heal. Now I still sleep better on the couch so when I am in trouble it is not so bad.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Fist bump should fix that!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Hope that is a sign of healing and wish you well.

When I was hit from behind 3 years ago totaling everything out, bike, trailer, and me, it took me almost a year to get somewhat back to normal. But somethings still bother me. I had a bunch of broken ribs and now have a nerve that runs from the back along the inside of one of the ribs that was broken and when I move just right it hurts. I also had a broken scaphoid that I finally had to have surgery on. Doc put a screw in it along with some bone graph to fill the hole. Although I can use my right hand, the dexterity isn't like it was before. Grip isn't like it used to be so somethings I use my left hand.

While I now am back to riding, I guess that some things you just have to adjust to.

OP
OP
Jethro77
Bike
No bike
STOC #
Thank you all for kind wishes and good advice! My healing continues to go well and I just wanted to take a minute to post something about the lighter side of recovery! Hopefully therapy will continue to conquer what remains of my issues! Everyday I make improvements and this past week I have started sleeping OK, so that and the pain settling down have made me feel like my old crazy self again! Now I just need some warm weather and a replacement bike and all will be well again!

Top Bottom