dual power outlets?

motorcycle larry no longer list the dual power outlets that mount below the seat. Does anyone know of someone else that manufactures them. Thanks in advance

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think powerlet sells them. There are some issues w/ powerlets vs. cigarette outlets. I like the fit and finish of my powerlets, the fit of the plugs, and the waterproof cap. Compared to a cigarette lighter outlet and the cig ltr plugs, powerlets are a much more precisely made product. BUT - powerlet plugs are expensive - yes I know you get what you pay for. But still, $49 for a dual USB powerlet adapter? And it seems that in this country cig lighter outlets are more common. So... consider all of your options.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
http://www.powerletcanada.com/product/PKT-028.
QTY Not available in the current price set

I would have ordered from Canada if it were still available. $94 in the US. :(

Originally Posted by SMSW
But still, $49 for a dual USB powerlet adapter?
$94 in the ad....
That's $94 for the dual outlets and $49 for the dual USB adapter that would fit in a powerlet port. Dual USB adapters that fit in a traditional 12V port (cigarette style) are much cheaper. $20 and less. Personally I wouldn't put a USB adapter that far back on the bike but keep it up front.

My Helibar riser has a powerlet adapter and I use a powerlet > 12V adapter > dual USB. Eventually I may get the courage to cut into the Tup and mount a dual USB port in a more elegant fashion.

Bike
2010 ST1300
That's $94 for the dual outlets and $49 for the dual USB adapter that would fit in a powerlet port. Dual USB adapters that fit in a traditional 12V port (cigarette style) are much cheaper. $20 and less.
Right you are - on both counts!. And, the dual USB powerlet angled plug can be had more cheaply - I got mine for $34 at (gasp) the BMW MOA National Rally last summer for $34, iirc.

When you locate your power outlet consider what you will plug into these ports and how you will run the wire. Obviously, my USB/powerlet plug that I use for my cell and gps works wonderfully when plugged into the port above the steering head (between the handlebars). The powerlets I installed just below the glove boxes are somewhat less useful - wires lie along the fairing and are exposed to damage, snagging, etc. I did not want any outlets in the glove boxes because wires would prevent them from closing and might allow water entry (besides, its hot in there).

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Obviously, my USB/powerlet plug that I use for my cell and gps works wonderfully when plugged into the port above the steering head
That's where my powerlet port is as well. The dual USB powerlet adapter didn't exist when I set this up the first time so I may pony up the $50 to simplify and clean up the the arrangement. It powers my phone which is also my GPS.

Do you run that power switched or always on? The adapters draw some power even when nothing is plugged in though it's probably pretty light. And at $50 I'd remove it when parked for any amount of time.

If you visit your friendly John Deere dealer they have powerlet style sockets (single) for around $16. I have used them on several bikes and they work great. If there is any downside its that there is a subtle running deer emblem on the lid. Part # AL25073

JD 1.jpg

JD 2.jpg

Bike
2010 ST1300
That's where my powerlet port is as well. The dual USB powerlet adapter didn't exist when I set this up the first time so I may pony up the $50 to simplify and clean up the the arrangement. It powers my phone which is also my GPS.

Do you run that power switched or always on? The adapters draw some power even when nothing is plugged in though it's probably pretty light. And at $50 I'd remove it when parked for any amount of time.
Robert, Thanks for pointing this out - I never gave it a thought. But, I'm running this powerlet off the quartet harness so it is switched off by the ignition key. And, if you shop around, you can break the $49.95 barrier. No doubt the same guys will be at the Salt Lake City BMW MOA Nat rally this summer (July 13 - 16). Though, I have to admit, the price of admission and camping at Humbug was exorbitant so no doubt it will be the same or worse in SLC. If you know any BMW riders who are going (and the buzz now seems to indicate it will be better attended than New York's 6K visitors) you might ask them to pick it up for you.

Peter

Bike
2005 st1300
Update: Just got an email saying the item is out of stock:(. Im not surprised... when i saw the item availability disappear right after I ordered, i thought I might get that email. Oh well, guess Ill order that keyless gas cap...:)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Just got an email saying the item is out of stock
BTDT. Sorry. Previous clearance sale? It's still shown at the powerlet site. A bit pricey. Knowing the measurements and making a cardboard template it would be fairly easy to fab.

The inboard socket looks to be a little difficult to get to but I've never seen one in action.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If there is any downside its that there is a subtle running deer emblem on the lid.
As long as it doesn't draw them from the trees I'd be ok with that. You might even be able to make a stencil from that to adorn the fairing with deer strike acknowledgments. Powerlet wants $20 for a socket.

Bike
2005 st1300
The powerlet canada site had more really good deals. Single sockets were only $9.99CAD. For americans, that is $7.00 or so. I thought their shipping was a little steep. I was paying 18.00 CAD to ship 4 items. When they contacted me to let me know the dual outlet wasnt available, I cancelled the whole order. Even though the items left were still a good deal, it was still the same shipping and that kinda took the "shine" off the rest of the items, when I really wanted the double outlet. They may have better shipping rates to the U.S.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
As was mentioned, there are several real good deals on the Canadian powerlet site.
for example:

heated jacket liners normally $425 - some sizes are on for $99

heated glove liners - normally $99 - some sizes on for $35

Severals sockets, connectors, harnesses, etc on for $9.99

You have to mine the site a bit to find the real deals but if you persevere, you will find some good things.

Rod

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
As was mentioned, there are several real good deals on the Canadian powerlet site.
for example:

heated jacket liners normally $425 - some sizes are on for $99

heated glove liners - normally $99 - some sizes on for $35

Severals sockets, connectors, harnesses, etc on for $9.99

You have to mine the site a bit to find the real deals but if you persevere, you will find some good things.

Rod
Wow, that heated jacket liner (XL), with wireless remote controller, is a super deal for $99! The controller looks exactly the same as the one from Warm-n-Safe.

Top Bottom