Slatin Motogear???

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Somebody has to be the leader (tester). Somebody was the first on all those brands you currently wear.
Wow you've taken a little beating just asking for information. If you decide to try it out please give a review. This helps provide alternatives. If this gear is competitive on some levels it could be a solid purchase because you don't always get what you pay for.

I'm sure a little Googl-Fu could provide some very unusual career changes that give us quality products many/most made offshore. When heavy import tariffs are put on those products in the name of American Made 'Stich prices would be so unusual.

Props to everybody who responded with constructive information about the guy and the fabric.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Wow you've taken a little beating just asking for information. If you decide to try it out please give a review. This helps provide alternatives. If this gear is competitive on some levels it could be a solid purchase because you don't always get what you pay for.
Honestly I don't blame others for giving me a little beating. I've question my own lunacy over purchasing this suit. I felt the same way as them at first, then I started doing a bit of research on the product and materials used to construct it and I have almost talked myself into giving it a try. If I do end up purchasing one I will definitely provide a review back here after I've had several months to put it through the paces and see how it works.

So what color should I go with? I kind of like the Hi-viz green but am leaning towards the gray.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
People can get a bit religious about their gear. I learned the hard way, reviewing products for MCN (the US one) that hate mail will ensue if one criticizes basically anything sold by Aerostich. I think it's important to keep an open mind and Landon if you decide on the Slatin Power Suit, please follow up here with your impressions. The more solid choices we have the better. As far as controlling off-shore consistency, it's been shown to have more to do with the management in place than where the product is made. I understand the argument of preferring to buy American made stuff, but if that's the main concern, what is one doing on a Honda forum??

Bike
R1200rt
Somebody has to be the leader (tester). Somebody was the first on all those brands you currently wear. It does have a 14 day full refund return if I get it am not satisfied with it when I get it.
Stop dilly dallying around. Get the stuff, ride the hell out of it for a week, review it, post your review and keep it or return it. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Landon said:
I kind of like the Hi-viz green but am leaning towards the gray.
My bike is black as is 99% of my riding regalia so I got a Hi-Viz BILT helmet and have a 'Brilliant Yellow' Neotec on the way for a splash of color. I prefer yellow over Hi-Viz yellow (yellow-green). Normally I wear black hats.

It's old intel but the Hurt Report didn't find any data that substantiated helmet color as a mitigating factor in preventing accidents. They phrased it differently but my take is helmet color didn't seem to make a difference. So I'm going for a color I like. If I had Uncle Phil $$$ I'd also have a white Neotec.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Interesting thread...some items to consider:
1. SOME Aerostich products are now made "offshore"...kinda sad AND disturbing.
2. While I do wear and love my Aerostich, they are quickly pricing themselves out of my reach. If and when I need new gear, I'd have to consider these.
3. When Aerostich first hit the market, it was considered a suit for JUST BMW and LD riders...not so much now. They were uncommon to see, and wearers were part of what Vonnegut terms a "Granfalloon".
4. Early Adopters often get a good deal....:)

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I do agree with companies pricing themselves out of reach. Not saying I coulnd't do it but at some point it just seems the prices are a little over the top or on there way to that.
I also agree everyone has to start somewhere. I can't get to the site here for some reason but will look at the products when I get a chance from home.
Is sounds like you've done your research and it also sounds like it's postive.
Order it, use it as much as possible for the "grace period" and find out if it's on par with what you're looking for.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Stop dilly dallying around. Get the stuff, ride the hell out of it for a week, review it, post your review and keep it or return it. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain!!!
Well it looks like I dilly dallied around long enough I missed the sale price. Probably not going to drop $750 to be the beta tester. Part of my hesitation to order it right now was that my bike is apart in the middle of a rostra cruise control install and I wouldn't be able to go out and ride the hell out of it for a week to test it out. Maybe I will catch it next time its on sale. I've sent a few questions off to the owner and have not heard back yet, didn't want to order until I got some answers.

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
Well it looks like I dilly dallied around long enough I missed the sale price. Probably not going to drop $750 to be the beta tester. Part of my hesitation to order it right now was that my bike is apart in the middle of a rostra cruise control install and I wouldn't be able to go out and ride the hell out of it for a week to test it out. Maybe I will catch it next time its on sale. I've sent a few questions off to the owner and have not heard back yet, didn't want to order until I got some answers.
That's big. I was going to buy an item at comp/acc and emailed a question about the product. It took 3 weeks before I got an answer. Did the same at REVZILLA and got 3 answers from 3 different people with in hours. That's customer service you can rely on !!!

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
In fairness I exchanged some messages with him through ADVrider on Sunday. I shot the questions back to him on there yesterday and checked this morning and he had not been active on the site since sunday evening, so I'm not faulting him there. I did resubmit my questions this morning through his website in hopes that he may get those messages quicker.

Bike
No bike
STOC #
Seems like a reasonable gamble at those prices when compared to those that dominate the market currently. Sounds like they are pricing low so they can get their work out there ... In my mind being made offshore is no surprise, yeah I prefer American made when I can afford it and when the quality is there but high priced American made is no guarantee of quality ...
Judging the product by this guy's background is kinda crappy, I think anyone can do good no matter what or where they come from and I have to give him PROPS for making the effort! If I was in the market I'd give it a shot just to support someone who was trying!

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
What was the sale price? I saw it as $750 yesterday when the discussion first started. Was it less than $750?

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
What was the sale price? I saw it as $750 yesterday when the discussion first started. Was it less than $750?
There was a discount code on the homepage of the site that lowered the price to $499. The discount was applied in the cart when you entered the code.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
There was a discount code on the homepage of the site that lowered the price to $499. The discount was applied in the cart when you entered the code.
Wow, $499 would be a good deal and worth the risk. At $750 it becomes a little tougher decision.

I'm pretty happy with my Tourmaster pants and jacket that were ~$400 total, bought at 20% off at a motorcycle show. I can zip them together so their kind of like a suit. ;)

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
That's big. I was going to buy an item at comp/acc and emailed a question about the product. It took 3 weeks before I got an answer. Did the same at REVZILLA and got 3 answers from 3 different people with in hours. That's customer service you can rely on !!!
I wanted to follow up and say I sent my email via his website this morning around 8AM and had a response to my questions by 11 AM.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I sent my email via his website this morning around 8AM and had a response to my questions by 11 AM.
I hope one of those questions was ? 'Since we've been kicking this around awhile how 'bout cutting me some slack and giving me the $499 price?" It seldom hurts to ask.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I do agree with companies pricing themselves out of reach.
I agree but reach is relative. I know next to nothing about pricing. I believe there are several business models regarding it. You can price a product to cover R&D manufacturing distribution marketing etc and maybe some profit. If it's your first product that means a big price tag. You have to find the market that will bear the costs.

Or like Amazon you have the capital to bear losses for a sufficient period of time that you eventually become profitable and have a broader customer base.

Or you can do a Kickstart project but never deliver and keep the money. (Sorry.)

But ultimately 'what the market will bear' determines pricing and product/company viability. That could become even more risky [-]if and[/-] when import tariffs become steeper and more prolific. Or more prolifically steeper? That means more cost to us.

Top Bottom